Have the rules changed for extension of marriage

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Isn't it the money needs to be in YOUR PERSONEL ACCOUNT (not in a joint account) in a Thai bank for at least 2 months before you can apply for the extension or have I misunderstood?

It has to be in an account in your name only.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Isn't it the money needs to be in YOUR PERSONEL ACCOUNT (not in a joint account) in a Thai bank for at least 2 months before you can apply for the extension or have I misunderstood?

Yes, that one changed a few years back - When I first did my extensions for the first few years the 400K had to be in a joint account. They didn't like that situation because at that time any income from the Thai spouse could be put towards your extension. So it was changed to Personal Account, and I think the two months "seasoning " came in a year or two later.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MJL1962 said:

you need double the money sitting in the bank not doing anything.

It is a personal choice if money is left 'doing nothing' not a requirement of the Thai authorities  Many wise people choose to have their money work by investing it in an interest-bearing account.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Swimman said:

It is a personal choice if money is left 'doing nothing' not a requirement of the Thai authorities  Many wise people choose to have their money work by investing it in an interest-bearing account.

I think you took the "left sitting doing nothing" too literally. Granted, it is rather imprecise. Btw, wiser people use that extra money in better investment than that.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Toscano said:

If you are of retirement age 50+ it is far better to get a retirement visa , Bt800,000 in your Thai bank account , you are then free to live where you like whether married or not . The marriage visa is a pain with a huge amount of paper work every year .  With a retirement visa , you can have a Thai non official Amphur marriage and will be free to leave if things don't work out .  Don't buy a house , rent , or live in a wife's existing house .

• You can live wherever you like even if married.
  • There isn't that much paperwork and it's easy to put together.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

There is no rule or regulation that you can't use a joint account. That rule only applies to a retirement extension.

Since the last regulation change it is up to the individual office whether or not they accept a joint account. If they do accept a joint account they might insist on there being at least 800K. I've never tried using a joint account, but my local office told me a few years ago that they would accept a joint account with just 400K. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For an extension based upon marriage it is 2 month for every extension application.

The 2 months and then 3 months is for a extension based upon retirement.

Hi Joe, Sorry my mistake I was on a retirement and the 800k was in for 2 months instead of 3, the officer said this can be overlooked if I paid 12,000b, so I said I will have a extension based on marriage he informed me this would be very difficult and time consuming again asking for 12,000b, I stuck to the marriage and eventually got it but they made it as difficult as possible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is no rule or regulation that you can't use a joint account. That rule only applies to a retirement extension.

Since the last regulation change it is up to the individual office whether or not they accept a joint account. If they do accept a joint account they might insist on there being at least 800K. I've never tried using a joint account, but my local office told me a few years ago that they would accept a joint account with just 400K. 

Thanks for your advice, but when was this last regulation change?

Samut Prakarn immigration website seems to be unaware of this last regulation change:

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-support-thai-wife/

8. Letter from Thai Bank certified money in thai account (Alien’s Name) more than 400,000 Baht 2 months before, bank book and ATM slip on date of application OR

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Samut Prakarn immigration website seems to be unaware of this last regulation change:

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-support-thai-wife/

8. Letter from Thai Bank certified money in thai account (Alien’s Name) more than 400,000 Baht 2 months before, bank book and ATM slip on date of application OR

As he said, up to the individual office.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maestro said:

....Deposit 400,000 baht, then apply for a one-year extension for the reason of living with you Thai spouse (if your spouse is a Thai national)

or show a income of 40k and up per month

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:
8 hours ago, elviajero said:

The regulations were updated in 2014. Prior to that they specified that a joint account could be used. 

The fact that it was removed could be taken that it's no longer allowed, but if the offices aren't given specific instructions they can use their discretion. Basically they haven't been told they can't accept joint accounts. The old immigration website was never changed to say joint accounts were not allowed, unlike an extension for retirement which clearly specifies that it must be an account in the applicants sole name.

Looks like Samut Prakan, probably, want it in the applicants sole name even though it doesn't actual say that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

The regulations were updated in 2014. Prior to that they specified that a joint account could be used. 

More like 2008. From 2006 to 2008 joint accounts and the wife's income was allowed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marvo said:

Re "Rules changed..."
This year we (wife & I) were required to bring a friend to the immigration office to "vouch" for us as still living together as man and wife.

Also the photos in and around the house needed us in the SAME clothes, taken by (and with) the visiting immigration officer. Previously the photos had to be wearing DIFFERENT clothes in each picture.

I just can't keep up with all these changes!

Agree but basicly they dont want us here, hence the harassment

• Like 1

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is no rule or regulation that you can't use a joint account.

Clause 2.18 of the police order states this.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

There is certainly no mention of a joint account being allowed. It clearly states it must be the husbands money.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marvo said:

Re "Rules changed..."
This year we (wife & I) were required to bring a friend to the immigration office to "vouch" for us as still living together as man and wife.

Also the photos in and around the house needed us in the SAME clothes, taken by (and with) the visiting immigration officer. Previously the photos had to be wearing DIFFERENT clothes in each picture.

I just can't keep up with all these changes!

Where is this? Did they give any rationale as to why you need to have the same clothes? Maybe this is to defeat a scam. I will ask an acquaintance here to know if this is a standard here and, if so, if he knows the reason.

• Like 1