Arabs have 300,000 baht stolen from the safe - hotel gives them 5,000 baht compensation

webfact

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Haha... I love these 'it would never happen to me' statements..... 

Agreed.  What protects most of us is the numbers.  The statistics that say that only a tiny fraction of a percent of the people get robbed on any given day.  So a typical victim may go for years and years -even an entire lifetime- before it happens to him/her.  It really doesn't matter that much what precautions they take.   So you get hit after 40 years instead of after 20.   Or, your turn may come next weekend.  You can reduce your odds, but that's about all.  Thieves are much better at the gadgets than we are.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, KataLil said:

We carry duct tape when we travel. Cash, passport, credit cards etc get taped to the underside of furniture, or behind pictures. It's worked so far...

I hid a small amount under my bed in a hotel in Cambodia. The maid found it when she was cleaning and i found it on the bedside table when I returned :smile:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

years ago i checked into a hotel in Bkk and asked if there was a safe in the room and was told no. About 10 mins later there was a knock on the door and it was one of the maids, an old lady who was skinny as a rake and wouldn't have weighed more than 40 kgs. She was carry a small electronic safe and placed it into the wardrobe. Needless to say i didn't use it!

Reminds me of My stay at a brand new place in Pattaya, saw their was a safe in the wardrobe and put all my stuff in it and went out for the day on returning their was a guy in my room drilling and fixing in place, luckily he was very honest and put all my stuff on the table.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Every time a hotel room is robbed, it is always a very large amount of cash that is stolen.

We never see reports of thefts of only a couple of thousand, always hundreds of thousands, same with so- called baggage thefts.

Inflation.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

In theory, but how do you prove you put 300,000 baht cash, a 30,000 baht IPhone and a 500,000 baht Rolex in the safe?

How do I prove that so many foreigners have big mansions and businesses while asking others to buy them a beer? 

If you use a small hotel safe in your home and be robbed your insurance pay like nothing too. So why a hotel must pay more? This is just a small unsecure safe not a bank safe. The most hotels have a secure safe too.

You just must ask for it.

I must admit I was one of those people that thought hotel room safes were "safe" to keep your valuables and money. 4 or 5 years ago I booked in to a hotel and screwed up the "password", so I called reception and in no time at all a employee knocks at the door, removes the small cover in the front door and opens the safe with a key. I couldn't believe how unsafe these safes are and how lucky I had been in the past that none of my valuables had been stolen. I then Googled "hotel safes" and couldn't believe what I saw. Needless to say I now never leave money and valuables in the room safe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Darcula said:

Was the CCTV also not working, as is usual in such cases?

The laws need to changed upon appointment of a real PM. Protecting incompetent operators and thieves is not good enough..We all know why these wild west laws exist..i had one knob sucker a farang from Pattaya news paper tell me the justice system worked quite well. He was talking in the phone. So obviously I couldn't strangle him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Every time a hotel room is robbed, it is always a very large amount of cash that is stolen.

We never see reports of thefts of only a couple of thousand, always hundreds of thousands, same with so- called baggage thefts.

Yes, and not to mention such a poor planning to still have 300k/thb in cash the very last day before departure Thailand....

150k/thb is equal or just over the max amount a proper travel Insurance will cover for loss of cash per person in addition to loss of flight, extra hotel Nights +++ - what a coincidence....:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

If you use a small hotel safe in your home and be robbed your insurance pay like nothing too. So why a hotel must pay more? This is just a small unsecure safe not a bank safe. The most hotels have a secure safe too.

You just must ask for it.

I don't think the hotel safe is too secure either as too many have access to it. The old 2 key safety deposit boxes behind reception were probably the best.  

4 hours ago, KataLil said:

We carry duct tape when we travel. Cash, passport, credit cards etc get taped to the underside of furniture, or behind pictures. It's worked so far...

It  wouldn't take too much thought to figure those hiding places out.. seen them on TV and movies numerous times.  I put them in the safe and take it out with me.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm sure that whoever gone in to remove the boxes knew about the CCTV

and it's almost for certain that this is an inside job.... 

You really are wasted on thaivisa, I am putting your name forward for a senior position at Scotland Yard. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

A total of 300,000 baht was missing along with passports and documents.

But the hotel were only obliged to give the victims 5,000 baht in compensation according to the law.

if this law existing or the contract between the guest and the hotel has been concluded clearly states the limit of the responsibility of the hotel, it is the liability of the guest as far as the excess money is concerned. I think his passport and other documents fall under other obligation.

A similar case has happened in Europe and the guest lost at the court.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm sure that whoever gone in to remove the boxes knew about the CCTV

and it's almost for certain that this is an inside job.... 

Yes,, the Arabs themselves, some other guest(s), someone working in the hotel or someone from outside where the person(s) who actually did the job worked inside the room hence inside job...:post-4641-1156694572: 

For some hotel clerks, as soon as they hear a customer say the words, "do you have a safe where I can put some valuables?"  .....the clerk immediately thinks:  "Cool, this awkward traveler has some valuables.  When he/she leaves the room, I'll have some of my buddies go up there and strike the jackpot."

Note: it doesn't always happen clandestinely.  I know of a Brit who, a short time after checking in to a Bkk hotel, heard some knocks on the door.  The Brit was taking a shower.  He came out, opened the hotel room door, 2 local guys rushed in, beat the Brit to the ground, and forced him to open the dinky little safe.  Easy money.

2 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

For some hotel clerks, as soon as they hear a customer say the words, "do you have a safe where I can put some valuables?"  .....the clerk immediately thinks:  "Cool, this awkward traveler has some valuables.  When he/she leaves the room, I'll have some of my buddies go up there and strike the jackpot."

Note: it doesn't always happen clandestinely.  I know of a Brit who, a short time after checking in to a Bkk hotel, heard some knocks on the door.  The Brit was taking a shower.  He came out, opened the hotel room door, 2 local guys rushed in, beat the Brit to the ground, and forced him to open the dinky little safe.  Easy money.

Obviously the friend of a friend was used to high class hotels.

• Confused 1

Maiby Queen Pattaya Hotel, i got my belongings stolen there before.

No things where open, 100% staf who did it, same what hapened whit them!!!

I just arive in thailand in the morning and sleep till 2300u, went eating and come back after 1 hour and my and my wife's things where stolen.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

If all 4 digits are known then there will only be 24 combinations . 4x3x2x1 (I think)

3 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

4x4x4x4=256. I don't believe any hotel worker is using magic paper to find oil on keypads. That sounds like internet bs to me. 

256 is NOT correct IF 4 digits are known and used in a 4 digit code.

In this case, someone was able to detect which keys had been pressed. Further, somehow the detector knew that the code was only 4 digits long. Thus each number could have been used only once. 

4*3*2*1=24 would be correct.

Notice to protect yourself from this scheme all you have to do is use  a 5 digit code and repeat one number.  Code= 5 7 3 8 5

Possible combinations = 4*4*4*4*4 =  1024