Banking is a competitive business. Some charge ATM fees, some do not. Some charge various levels of others, others do not. Rather than complain, compare all the fees between banks before deciding where to leave your money. As a consumer, vote with your pocketbook. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 2:49 PM, canopus1969 said:

K Bank also does not charge for ATM withdrawals outside home region  :thumbsup:

Well, they did last year. My branch is in Pattaya and I was paying a fee to withdraw at ATM's in BKK.

Maybe they have curtailed this now.

3 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

Banking is a competitive business. Some charge ATM fees, some do not. Some charge various levels of others, others do not. Rather than complain, compare all the fees between banks before deciding where to leave your money. As a consumer, vote with your pocketbook. 

It would have to be quite a lot cheaper for me to bother closing an account down in one bank to open one somewhere else. Certainly, a few domestic ATM fees wouldn't be the decider. All banks have their plusses and minuses.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 8:18 AM, chocdee120 said:

...my issue is using your own Banks machine outside of your own Branch town you get charged. It’s as if they are saying your money is in your Branch in a box.

Yes, outside the area, or province, of your bank's branch, is like withdrawing from another bank, or withdrawing abroad your home province, and there a fee is due. Someone has to pay for the ATM's, and the users do the payments. It's not that complicated, do you pay a fee using your home country's plastic cards to withdraw in another bank's ATM, or in another state or country..?

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, robblok said:

Banks need to make money too, so not a scam. I just withdraw twice a month from an ATM in my area no cost then. 

Banks are legalised criminal institutions and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, bandito said:

Banks are legalised criminal institutions and should be treated as such.

Then don't use them.. is it that hard.. i like the service of banks and what they do for me. You don't want to pay for them don't use them. I do wonder how you want to get your money from your home country then.. as the options are limited. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Sorry, I have yet to use an ATM in Thailand. But will in the future. What was the 150 THB ATM charge I remember hearing about?

You are coming to the party late, most banks now charge 220 THB  to use a foreign ATM card, the only one I know if that only charges 150 THB is AEON .   Which is not a bank but a credit card company that operates ATM machines throughout the Kingdom

17 hours ago, Russell17au said:

And that was not just in Thailand

I can remember in Australia when banks prided themselves with the service that they provided to their customers and they even paid reasonable interest into savings accounts because they were happy with the interest that they made from personal, housing, car and business loans but today they are the richest and we are the poorest

Agree

They've cut back on everything & still charge like roaring bulls

Thailand's fees are nothing if you have an account

Try Auss's $100 a yr for account ( Because so many things linked to the card ) / up to $6 a mth service fee / $2.50 per transaction & I'm sure the list goes on

As for the banks need to make money. I remember a movie called " OTHER PEOPLES MONEY " 

It works a bit like they offer you an amazing interest rate like 2% then when they've got alot of peoples hard earnt money they invest it & earn anything from 5% to who knows what 

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, outside the area, or province, of your bank's branch, is like withdrawing from another bank, or withdrawing abroad your home province, and there a fee is due. Someone has to pay for the ATM's, and the users do the payments. It's not that complicated, do you pay a fee using your home country's plastic cards to withdraw in another bank's ATM, or in another state or country..?

No, your not charged to use other Banks machines, and your not charged if you withdraw from any part of the Country by your own bank

On 18/4/2561 at 2:30 PM, moana said:

TMB doesn't charge anything for withdrawals (and even deposits) outside of your "region". You don't need to get a special debit card or pay extra, they just don't charge anything. They also offer the best deal for a debit card, 200 baht for 5 years, no annual fee.

Other banks offer an expensive version of their debit cards (350-400 baht annually) that let you withdraw for free from any bank. Not a good deal if you ask me...

And for low income earners the cost is close to a days salary.

Plus there are high profile Thai banks where the officers tell new customers that these cards are now compulsory by government / BOT regulations, all in fact lies.

Agree Thai bank charges are outrageous. 

2 hours ago, chocdee120 said:

No, your not charged to use other Banks machines, and your not charged if you withdraw from any part of the Country by your own bank

I'll be happy and thankful if you'll let my bank know that...:wai:

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I'll be happy and thankful if you'll let my bank know that...:wai:

Same here

As my wife keeps mentioning to use my branch ATM 

But I'm not going to walk around looking for it to save less then a $1, because it's less then half the price in Auss

& this is also just like buying groceries (not know here because I pay cash ) but in Auss if I use a card at (lets say Tesco ) there's no doubt they would probably be using a different branch for their banking. So I would end up paying for a withdrawal from a different bank.

Edited by BEVUP
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Same here

As my wife keeps mentioning to use my branch ATM 

But I'm not going to walk around looking for it to save less then a $1, because it's less then half the price in Auss

& this is also just like buying groceries (not know here because I pay cash ) but in Auss if I use a card at (lets say Tesco ) there's no doubt they would probably be using a different branch for their banking. So I would end up paying for a withdrawal from a different bank.

Agree with the fee – using another bank than my own is 10 baht or 20 baht fee, I been charged a couple of times already this year – but if there's an ATM from my own bank I'll chose that, and I even take a little walk to where there is one, more for the healthy exercise, than saving pennies; however I actually save double, as taking a walk also saves a fee for the gym...:wink:

However, I've never been charged a fee the few times I've used a Thai bank ATM to pay at the cash-line in shops etc. here in Thailand – normally I always pay cash, but I've been using ATM a number of times this year in HomePro, also for fairly small amounts – perhaps the shops paid a fee...:smile:

USA banks it generates a lot of money for the bank. Fairly expensive even in the US you withdraw from other than your bank. The bank your using charges and your own bank charges. 

If i use my US atm card here it’s more expensive plus the Thai bank charge.  

As one one person said earlier the news said April? Thai banks wouldn’t be charging th fee anymore. 

While the use of ATMs in Thailand is huge vs credit card usage, when I am back in the US I never use ATMs. They are much more risky than using a credit card.

When you withdraw via an ATM you have basically opened the door to your account for the bad guys, while a credit card charge only puts the amount you charge at risk and can be easily disputed, if in error.

With an ATM withdrawal your entire associated bank account can be drained, and while it is true that the bank will usually work to fix, you still could face an empty account until that happens.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

22 hours ago, robblok said:

Then don't use them.. is it that hard.. i like the service of banks and what they do for me. You don't want to pay for them don't use them. I do wonder how you want to get your money from your home country then.. as the options are limited. 

We are forced by Big Business to have a bank account.

No bank account no money.

No country in the world has a law that says that their citizens are required to have a bank account.

So now the banks are robbing us whichever way they can.

As said I don't need a bank but are forced to use one.

You are upset about paying to take you money out of your own bank account using the same banks ATM in a different province - long since a real bone of contention for me. Even worse is trying to pay money into your account out of province using the same bank as your account - the charges to pay in are absurd as usually you are paying in a larger sum and it is a percentage fee 

• Thanks 2

Interesting how many people are upset about it, yet never took the time to research and see which banks don't charge these silly fees. As I mentioned way in page 1, TMB doesn't do the region thing at all. It won't charge for withdrawals or deposits using the branch or ATM/ADM regardless of region.

• Like 1

On 22/4/2561 at 7:07 PM, SpokaneAl said:

While the use of ATMs in Thailand is huge vs credit card usage, when I am back in the US I never use ATMs. They are much more risky than using a credit card.

When you withdraw via an ATM you have basically opened the door to your account for the bad guys, while a credit card charge only puts the amount you charge at risk and can be easily disputed, if in error.

With an ATM withdrawal your entire associated bank account can be drained, and while it is true that the bank will usually work to fix, you still could face an empty account until that happens.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Agreed.

One possibility (depends of the level of security bank by bank for internet banking) is to have only 1 account in your internet banking folio which has an ATM* card. Plus of course regularly change your internet banking password.

Then use internet banking (usually quite easy and fast) to transfer just enough funds for a few days, known expenses etc., to the account with the ATM card.

In other words, never have large amounts in the account with the ATM card.

*I have no idea about the USA but some Thai banks try to tell new customers that it's now a regulation of the Bank of Thailand that new accounts have to have an ATM card. Not true at all, there is no such BOT regulation.

In the USA?

Agreed.

One possibility (depends of the level of security bank by bank for internet banking) is to have only 1 account in your internet banking folio which has an ATM* card. Plus of course regularly change your internet banking password.

Then use internet banking (usually quite easy and fast) to transfer just enough funds for a few days, known expenses etc., to the account with the ATM card.

In other words, never have large amounts in the account with the ATM card.

*I have no idea about the USA but some Thai banks try to tell new customers that it's now a regulation of the Bank of Thailand that new accounts have to have an ATM card. Not true at all, there is no such BOT regulation.

In the USA?

Nope. It is up to the consumer whether or not to accept an ATM card.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unless I missed something in the news, these days of chipped cards have ended the cloning of cards. So unless your card is lost or stolen, you've nothing to worry about (except internet 'card not present' purchases if the CVV number has also been captured). And, unless they've also somehow gotten your pin along with your lost/stolen ATM card, you're also not going to see any ATM action.

But an ATM/debit card, most of which allow an 'insert and sign' mode (the so-called 'credit card' mode) can be problematic. Yes, like ATM daily limits, there are daily POS limits with a debit card -- but usually considerably above the ATM limits. But most banks will allow you to adjust this limit -- down to zero if you'd like. And you should like, as a debit card has no advantages over the credit card you should be carrying. Which protects against your bank account from being debited/cleaned out; pays rewards well above what debit cards can offer (and few do); and many eat the foreign transaction fee (while a debit card from the same bank may not).

Yes, an ATM card is handy when traveling. But if you don't have a strictly ATM card (like against a savings account, where debit transactions aren't allowed), zero out the POS limit on the ATM/Debit card you're carrying (you can do this with Bangkok Bank's Be1st cards). And get a credit card -- if you can -- for all those POS transactions.

Having said the above, there have been clever crooks who have cloned atm/debit and credit cards with a bogus chip. The machine can't read the chip, but some merchants and ATM owners have programmed their machines to fall back to the magnetic stripe mode in such a situation -- and of course cloning the stripe is old hat. Clever a few years ago, but now the merchant has the liability for allowing such a fall back scenario. Thus, don't worry too much about clever crooks (well, at least not yet...).

No, while at home, trips to the ATM machine (and only at my local bank, in case the card is eaten) to get monthly spending money is a pain. Thus, beginning of the month the wife goes to the bank counter and withdraws all the cash we'll need for the month. Safe enough in the locked drawer, and handy enough for the monthly cash needs. And funding the account with large ACH transfers from my US bank is competitive with using my Schwab ATM/Debit card -- which I don't, as limiting my daily draw to 30000 baht means many trips to the ATM machine to cover monthly needs. And as said, I don't need that.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 7:43 AM, chocdee120 said:

For the order of good sake I need to update my previous reply to this.

Last year I could withdraw from other bank's ATM without a fee in same district as my own bank, but after January 1st this year, they began to charge fees at the same ATM's that I could use without fee last year. However, a few days ago I used another bank's ATM, but from a different bank than earlier, and I was not charged a fee.

Could it be some banks have an agreement for withdraw without fee, and others dont..?

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:13 AM, moana said:

Are you sure? According to their fee schedule they charge 15 baht for "withdrawal via K-ATM across other clearing districts".

I could accept a 15 baht fee.   Especially since I would only make one or two large withdrawals once a month.  30 baht ~ 1 USD.   What I don't like is those 220 baht fees for out of country ATMs.   Gosh, that is over $7 USD.  that is a foot massage with tip!