Australian woman burnt in Thailand: GoFundMe set up by family and friends to bring Victoria Nikoloudis home after accident

webfact

Adelaide woman burnt in Thailand: GoFundMe set up by family and friends to bring Victoria Nikoloudis home after accident

Josephine Lim, The Advertiser

3942d9e2f8a0c9469eef5e7112242ea5.jpg

Adelaide woman Victoria Nikoloudis, who now lives in Thailand, requires daily surgery. Picture: supplied

A MEDICAL mercy mission is underway to bring home an Adelaide woman who suffered severe burns in Thailand.

Victoria Nikoloudis, who works for a non-profit helping the less fortunate in Chiang Mai, is in hospital after an accident where she was burnt by oil and fire last week.

She sustained severe burns to 80 per cent of her body and is undergoing daily surgery.

Her family is hoping to bring the volunteer worker home and be treated at the Royal Adelaide Hospital burns unit.

Her friends have started a GoFundMe page online, hoping to raise $80,000 to cover her medical costs in Thailand and to repatriate Ms Nikoloudis, who has “a heart of gold and a passion for life”.

You can donate via GoFundMe here

Full story: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/adelaide-woman-burnt-in-thailand-gofundme-set-up-by-family-and-friends-to-bring-victoria-nikoloudis-home-after-accident/news-story/0f232b300f65757e196e1b2f5542f1e2

-- The Advertiser 2018-04-18

1 minute ago, zidane86 said:

Just out of interest is the hospital bills so expensive because she is a foreigner.?

What happen's if a Thai person suffered the same accident but couldn't afford to pay the hospital bill?

hospitals are expensive, she should be in a government hospital if she has no money. thai's without money would probably have social security through the 30 baht scheme. the same most places. if a foreigner uses a hospital in the UK they too are supposed to pay the bill for example.  not really any different here

• Like 2

Huh? No health or travel insurance? Also if she was involved in some volunteering work there should be some insurance cover for accidents.
Especially for those internships where you have to pay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i hope she raises the money to get to adelaide but surely these non profits and the like have a responsibility to ensure those working for them are covered for these kind of things in order to be able to operate here and elsewhere

Normally charities  do have insurance but if not they should still pay for her to be brought home.

• Like 2

In looking at the details of the hospital room and the bed sheets, it doesn't appear that she's currently in a Thai gov't hospital, but rather a private hospital.  Suan Dok hospital provides excellent care for burn victims at a much lower price than the private hospitals.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lanista said:

Many of these   'work for free'  non profit organisations are run by grubby people who take advantage of innocent and naive western kids.

Many of these  scam outfits actually make YOU pay for the privelege of working day in day out for them.

They charge anywhere from 500 -1000 dollars plus high weekly rents in many cases.

You pay for everything and work for nothing !!

Its really bad over  in Laos.

And the most volunteers are criminals and don't now it because they work illegal without work permittion. When they book their volunteering adventure they believe everything is legal. But shit happens!!! Illegal & no insurance!!!

6 minutes ago, snowgard said:

And the most volunteers are criminals and don't now it because they work illegal without work permittion. When they book their volunteering adventure they believe everything is legal. But shit happens!!! Illegal & no insurance!!!

Working without a work permit cannot be considered a criminal act as it’s an immigration issue not a police issue, so they are breaking immigration requirements.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

In looking at the details of the hospital room and the bed sheets, it doesn't appear that she's currently in a Thai gov't hospital, but rather a private hospital.  Suan Dok hospital provides excellent care for burn victims at a much lower price than the private hospitals.

She's in C.M. Ram. I read about it earlier.

She is known to have helped a lot of less fortunate people. Cooking accident as I understand it.

Realistically, people here on these "pay to work" volunteer schemes are ignored by immigration and labor dept officials.  They come here on tourist visas and what they've paid for is considered an "adventure holiday"   We don't know for sure if this is the way she came to be in Thailand.

As for her being in CM Ram, I thought I recognized the bedsheets as being from CM Ram.  That's one of the most expensive hospitals in Chiang Mai, but also one of the best for organizing a medical repatriation -- if funds are available.  Sad that she doesn't have insurance.  I've seen CM Ram do a very good job organizing medical repatriations when someone has travel insurance.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DipStick said:

Working without a work permit cannot be considered a criminal act as it’s an immigration issue not a police issue, so they are breaking immigration requirements.

And here was me thinking there were such people as immigration police.

6 hours ago, evadgib said:

t the event occurred at a place where she was volunteering and while on duty?

I would think it happened when she cooked at home , or with friends,

7 hours ago, snowgard said:

But they can go long time in prison for it.

If you have been caught working illegally in Thailand you can get a prison sentence for up to 5 years or/and a fine ranging from 2,000THB to 100,000THB. 

Surely these interfering, NGO do gooders are insured by the reputable NGO that hired them. Or are they just interfering busy bodies?

Dazinoz, post 24,

You do not have to be so aggressive.
Of course no one is obliged to give
  for Those Who do not care about THE MOUTH PEOPLE
  BY NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY.

But admit that it becomes a habit
to give alms on social networks. Too easy.
Now, if you find these methods normal,
  you are free to be generous and to let it know,
on social networks.
Have a good day. :coffee1:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, sirocco said:

Dazinoz, post 24,

You do not have to be so aggressive.
Of course no one is obliged to give
  for Those Who do not care about THE MOUTH PEOPLE
  BY NOT TAKING RESPONSIBILITY.

But admit that it becomes a habit
to give alms on social networks. Too easy.
Now, if you find these methods normal,
  you are free to be generous and to let it know,
on social networks.
Have a good day. :coffee1:

Agressive? Really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We must not have the same definition of the word "aggressiveness".
Aggressive does not mean "mean"
So, say, an uncontrolled anger.
It has been very intolerable for you to think that you think that she thinks of her first.

In my country, even if we do not want to help, we do it for us, willingly or by force.
We punctuate each month on our payslips and various taxes.
We do not even know which ones.
All foreigners, assassins, broken arms can thank us.
We contribute for them.
So reach out to the forums !!!
Have a good day.:welcomeani:

14 hours ago, DipStick said:

No, not true.

I hope she gets out ok. First thing to do is get her to a government hospital, second thing to do is go to the charity and make sure they pony up.

16 minutes ago, sirocco said:

We must not have the same definition of the word "aggressiveness".
Aggressive does not mean "mean"
So, say, an uncontrolled anger.
It has been very intolerable for you to think that you think that she thinks of her first.

In my country, even if we do not want to help, we do it for us, willingly or by force.
We punctuate each month on our payslips and various taxes.
We do not even know which ones.
All foreigners, assassins, broken arms can thank us.
We contribute for them.
So reach out to the forums !!!
Have a good day.:welcomeani:

I don't know what language you are talking but makes no sense to me.

• Thanks 1