Thai taxi driver said his life is being ruined after English teacher posts damning clip

webfact

Farung should have negotiated the fare before-either meter or amount. He has been here for two years must be pretty dumb to not know that. Did he set this up to get his on his youtube as everyone knows thai taxi drivers hate meters? He teaches on youtube for free but would still get paid for hits to his site. He is just saying he doesn't get paid because he probably doesn't have a work permit. I don't have much money but always tip taxi drivers. Is a hard job in any country.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I been in the nawamin area a lot.. before (Bungsamran fishing soi 42). The problem was not so prevalent there. As i said tourist area's navamin is not really tourist area and like my area more out of the way.

You do know that taxi's by law have to turn on the meter. So you are actually making my point by not turning on the meter they are breaking the law, taxis also by law have to pick up everyone. so by not going where you want to go again they are breaking the law.

So your confirming that taxi's are not following the law at all. I have had those problems too not turning on the meter (that is actually what the guy reported) and taxis not going where you want to go.. not so bad if its one .. but after 5 it gets a bit boring. That is one of the biggest reasons i try to avoid taxis now. 

well i tend to use grab anyway as the house is far from the main road but yes i know they are breaking the law but really stopped letting stuff like that bother me long ago. i find it's usually one or 2 that might refuse but generally they're alright

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrisdoc said:

Farung should have negotiated the fare before-either meter or amount. He has been here for two years must be pretty dumb to not know that. 

What are you on about?

I sit in the taxi and the guy puts on the meter. Every single time.

The last time I had not someone turn the meter on was when I was a tourist staying in Khao San Road

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What are you on about?

The last time I had not someone turn the meter on was when I was a tourist staying in Khao San Road

About the same for me, speaking Thai does the trick, tbh

7 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

well i tend to use grab anyway as the house is far from the main road but yes i know they are breaking the law but really stopped letting stuff like that bother me long ago. i find it's usually one or 2 that might refuse but generally they're alright

I would not be bothered that much if its one or 2.. quite often 5 or more.. then it gets annoying.. plus the Thais agree its annoying they have the same problem. Here where I live I don't have the problem of many refusing, only when I am more in the center / tourist area's. At mochit area, i have often had to go past 5 or more before one would turn on the meter and go where I wanted to go (and i don't travel during the rush hours I have learned that)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

About the same for me, speaking Thai does the trick, tbh

I always speak Thai.. often travel with a Thai so that is not really it. Its strange how some people never have trouble while others do. I think it might have to do with location and time. I have often discussed this with Thais too, they face similar problems its not just us foreigners (i could have understood that). I think its a location and time thing.. can't really give an other explanation. 

But it really started to piss me off so i started to use them less and less only when I absolutely had too. (now with more and more BTS its easier to avoid taxi's)

• Like 1

If some YouTubers were to film me on a bad day, they'd occasionally catch some cringe worthy behavior. 

And I've got some bad news for some of the guys here who think they're jolly, good time joys to be around...

What are you on about?

Im trying to work out what you are on about or whether you haven't been in Thailand long? If you get in a taxi you tell the driver where you are going and tell him to turn on the meter. If he doesn't want to turn it on you get out and get in the next one. If you actually let the driver take off before you say turn on the meter it sounds like you don't know much about taxis in Thailand. This guy has been here for two years-he is either dumb or it is a set-up. Is that simple enough for you?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is this story located in CM?

Apparently not!! Danny Mac - who runs a YouTube channel teaching English - had made a video about his experience travelling from the airport to his condo after a trip to Chiang Mai on Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I always speak Thai.. often travel with a Thai so that is not really it. Its strange how some people never have trouble while others do. I think it might have to do with location and time. I have often discussed this with Thais too, they face similar problems its not just us foreigners (i could have understood that). I think its a location and time thing.. can't really give an other explanation. 

But it really started to piss me off so i started to use them less and less only when I absolutely had too. (now with more and more BTS its easier to avoid taxi's)

You are spot on , it's about location and time.

If it's not convenient to them, they don't take you there.

Actually, i support their right to choose if they are willing to to a job or not.

• Like 1

Just now, robblok said:

If you're passing them and they're not passing you, that could explain it.  It doesn't excuse it, but it may explain it. 

Imagine you've just sat in a queue for half an hour with other taxi drivers waiting for someone who wants to go to Safari World, or some other juicy fare.  Then, you get an opportunity to get out of the queue for a 35 baht fare.  Or you've paid the hotel people a wad of money to sit out front and have them funnel big spenders to you.  Then you have someone asking to take you around the corner- with the meter.

I've learned to never hail a taxi that's standing still unless they're just dropping someone off.  It sucks.  I don't agree with it.  But I do understand it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

He cooked his goose right up front by asking about a flat 500Baht fare. IMHO that labels him immediately as a tricky dishonest unethical taxi driver. 

Ya don't ask, ya don't get.  I don't fault him for running it up the flagpole and see if the passenger salutes.  No worse than asking for a tip.  As long as the passenger is free to decline the offer.

BTW, what does the much respected and TVF revered Uber charge for a ride from Swampy into town?  Why is it okay for them to get away with it, but not the average legal driver?

Edited by impulse

Like criminals everywhere Mac is crying only because he was caught and called out, not because he wasnt guilty. People seem to think just because they have been robbing people for a long time it is alright. Just because I have been having sex with your wife for five years without you knowing doesn't mean it is right.

Edited by JAZZDOG
typo
  • Like 1

Technically Danny Mac needs a work permit.  I wouldn't want to be making waves if my back wasn't covered.

Maybe the taxi driver got rough justice, but I can imagine the vlogger is always on the look-out for a new story- if you get my drift.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would not be bothered that much if its one or 2.. quite often 5 or more.. then it gets annoying.. plus the Thais agree its annoying they have the same problem. Here where I live I don't have the problem of many refusing, only when I am more in the center / tourist area's. At mochit area, i have often had to go past 5 or more before one would turn on the meter and go where I wanted to go (and i don't travel during the rush hours I have learned that)

And I find, Rob, that more and more BKK taxi drivers are simply not stopping when I hail them, even though they've got their 'for hire' light on. I agree with you that such things (and not wanting to use the meter) when they happen repeatedly, one after the other, are VERY annoying!

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you're passing them and they're not passing you, that could explain it.  It doesn't excuse it, but it may explain it. 

Imagine you've just sat in a queue for half an hour with other taxi drivers waiting for someone who wants to go to Safari World, or some other juicy fare.  Then, you get an opportunity to get out of the queue for a 35 baht fare.  Or you've paid the hotel people a wad of money to sit out front and have them funnel big spenders to you.  Then you have someone asking to take you around the corner- with the meter.

I've learned to never hail a taxi that's standing still unless they're just dropping someone off.  It sucks.  I don't agree with it.  But I do understand it.

or one that pulls up and winds down the passenger window...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

Im trying to work out what you are on about or whether you haven't been in Thailand long? If you get in a taxi you tell the driver where you are going and tell him to turn on the meter. If he doesn't want to turn it on you get out and get in the next one. If you actually let the driver take off before you say turn on the meter it sounds like you don't know much about taxis in Thailand. This guy has been here for two years-he is either dumb or it is a set-up. Is that simple enough for you?

They don't always turn the meter on before starting to drive...even when they didn't try to get the ride for a fixed price...many times i have to tell them to turn the meter on because they seem to forget it...serious.

• Like 1

Actually, i support their right to choose if they are willing to to a job or not.
I have heard that they have really strict shift times and fines if they are back at the depot late. If you ask to go somewhere they need to calculate how long to get there and back to the depot so they will say yes or no depending on time allowed. Don't know if true.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I don't support that as they get a license from the government to operate.. and by doing so they accept the government rules. These rules say the can't refuse people. 

I would have accepted that if grab and uber were allowed to legally operate then the taxi drivers would have competition and would be forced to take rides.. or lose out on money.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, impulse said:

That is tough luck for them.. that is what they are legally bound to do and agreed to when they got the right to drive a taxi from the government. 

Mind you I don't go for the taxi's that are standing still just like you I avoid them (not always possible at mochit). I am talking about hailing passing taxi's not those standing still. I know you got even less chance with those standing still. 

But really I been refused for.. too far.. not far enough... 

Now i just use the BTS more and my motorbike or car. 

• Like 1