Another needless death from selfishness! But still no arrest as car blocks ambulance path

webfact

4 minutes ago, Hooliganzone said:

What a load of bullshit ive never seen an ambulance belting out smoke with big bore exhausts. 

The problems are not the ambulances the problems are Thai drivers, no common sense, uneducated, uncoothed, selfish, wont lose face by moving over and completely ignorant to anybody but themselves. 

True, but we were like that in the west before loads of laws were introduced, and enforced.

That is the problem here. No enforcement.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, z42 said:

In most (civilized) countries this would be a scandal, and the drivers of the car absolutely hammered by the public and the courts.

This is about as serious an offence as i can think of. Even a mandatory 5 years is I think too lenient. 

The question mark around police involvement just shows what a complete circus they are

Are there laws to do anything about this?

4 hours ago, phetpeter said:

The big problem is the 'ambulance'! Is he going scene or coming from? plus most Thai's are concerned that these so called ambulance, lowered suspension, fat wheels , belching smoke from there big bore exhausts, just using the lights to look good or what! When a true standard for theses emergency ambulance to set, same lights , sirens etc. Then a hotch pot of secondhand trucks and vans can be used to clean up and have no need for sirens etc, then it will be easier to enforce. We know a bright yellow ambulance in the UK is an emergency vehicle, lights flashing , sirens going,  here who knows is it lunch time?

does not matter car drivers should give way for this type of vehicle

• Like 1

My experiences have been getting out of my car and walking over to the offending driver and telling him to move.  It as worked in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, Cambodia and Thailand.  Only had to defend myself twice in 29 years.   Sadly, there is not enforcement of the laws to speak of. 

• Like 2

If you can move out of the way and you choose not to then you are a bona fide <deleted>! Just think if it was one of your family in the ambulance, wouldn't you want people to move. Seems in Thailand life is a cheap commodity and the social ladder seems to determine your worth. I suppose if the Thai's think and act this way then it must be true?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Disagree. We were never like that in the UK or Ireland mate, ever.

The problem is almost entirely cultural, and lack of enforcement only symptomatic of that and only part of the bigger problem.

The belligerence, arrogance, overwhelming ignorance, selfishness, immaturity, recklessness, disregard for the law, lack of responsibility, unwillingness to learn, etc. on the roads here will never be solved unless they confiscate all cars and go back to the buffalo.

Folk think I am joking but that is the only solution.   

I suppose it depends how far back you choose to go?
My Dad got his DL before DL testing was invented.....

I was driving before seat belts were invented.....

There was no drink driving law.....

There was a law to ensure your vehicle was facing the correct way an night and you had to have a red rear facing and clear front facing light on your vehicle over night.....

The reason folk drive in the way they do is only because of laws and their enforcement.....

I guarantee that in severe rain, you will still see pedestrians getting splashed by selfish drivers (and that is against the law),

not to mention speeding in poor visibility. Heck, look at the horrendous motorway pileups....

As mentioned in the original report - The ambulance had a number of options to go down the left hand side, but it didn't. If you look at the video, it probably would not have made much difference anyway as it was sort of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

They would have just got slowed by the next car in front.

Whilst the idiot in the white car is obviously stupid or ignorant and should have pulled over and let the ambulance go by, I find it a bit dodgy to start to try and blame the driver for the death of the victim.

If they start to go down this route they are going to be in a very difficult legal situation - Are they going to start prosecuting drivers who's cars are parked, causing an obstruction? Are they going to start charging drivers with manslaughter or murder?

Who is to state for certain that the driver of the white car actually caused the death, or was the patient likely to die anyway?

I find it terrible that drivers do not pull over in these cases, however, it is a lot better now than it was 10 or 15 years ago.

Could it be lack of education? Anyone here took the Thai driving test? (I have) and no where during my entire day of mindless videos or the sets of 50 computer questions was it ever asked what you should do when an emergency vehicle comes along lights flashing and siren blaring. Yes, it seems obvious to us as we are taught this from day one. Thailand is a bit different.

And if you want to see complete disregard for emergency services, go and drive in China and take a look what happens there when an emergency vehicle tries to get through a rush hour traffic jam.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, z42 said:

In most (civilized) countries this would be a scandal

Yes! is this a civilised country? you all jump on your high horses comparing Thailand yo your home countries, you were bought up to move over for emergency (government) vehicles, here they are a relatively new thing - Private ambulances, they have only appeared on the roads in the last few years, prior to that there were only the "body snatchers" they had (still have) lights and sirens also, should people move over for them also, stop being such Drama queens and remember where you are! :shock1:

It's always been this way and probably always will be. I remember seeing fire trucks stuck in traffic when the nightclub Santika burnt to the ground. Nobody moved over to let them pass while so many burned to death. 

Terrible tragedy with close to a hundred dead and many more badly burned but things have not changed since then. Part of life and death in Thailand.

Edited by barefootbangkok
Addition, spelling
  • Like 1

Extremely selfish, stupid, and despicable. 
Imho one of the results of traffic rules not being enforced,

Or, maybe the driver thinks this is the L.O.S.
Land of (some very) SAD people

5 hours ago, z42 said:

In most (civilized) countries this would be a scandal, and the drivers of the car absolutely hammered by the public and the courts.

Not in the UK though - you can actually get hit with a hefty fine for getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle in certain circumstances!

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/fined-for-moving-out-of-the-way-of-an-ambulance/

The emergency vehicles cause much of the problem by driving at all times with emergency lights on.  That means that the only indicator of a true emergency appears to be the sirens.

These vehicles should only use emergency lights when there is an emergency.  That would make it much clearer for the idiot drivers and also for the police to prosecute.

Cause and effect failure again.

Up to you.

Why should he pull over? He didn't know the guy who was dying. Maybe he was in a hurry to get home and watch some brain dead drama on TV. Maybe he hadn't eaten a meal in three hours and was in distress himself. 

You peole are so unwilling to understand the many reasons why he would not pull over.

• Like 1

I was once in an ambulance on the tollway and rather than use the shorter and quicker EZ pass line the driver went through the regular line.  Fortunately mine was not a life or death trip but I asked the doctor why they did not use EZ pass and he told me that by using the regular lines they can get through for free.  Hopefully they don’t do that on real emergencies and risk a life for 55 baht.

• Like 1

For years the BIB and amualances have chosen to use thrier flashing lights and sirens to get through the traffic  for their own convenience .The bib could not give the other drivers tickets for not obeying their lights for this then the Thai drivers just ignor them.Now when it is an emergency and the selfish Thai drivers know that either they will not get arrested as there are very little police patrols on the road or even if they are cought they just have to pay a 1,000 baht fine and Wai.   This is jkust Thai normal.

Are we sure an offence was committed ? Morally of course yes.

I found out, after dispatching a bike rider who was aiming at my mum in her wheelchair ON the pavement that there was no law against him riding on the pavement. Was a good few years ago but I just ask. If anywhere its likely to be here oder ??