Solution to the mud

I have a raised portion of land with raised beds near Nakhon Sawan. The walkways in between which are currently bare, become excessively muddy after any rain. I want to cover them with something but I haven't found a good solution. It's not an issue of drainage as there is good drainage but the soil just immediately turns to sticky heavy clay mud with the slightest amount of water. Sharp rock such as the type used for concrete sounds like it will probably work but doesn't sound very attractive. Rounded rock such as river stone may look slightly better but I suspect it will not provide sure footing and make it difficult to navigate garden carts. Crab grass might be a solution but I fear it will migrate into my raised beds. Some type of mulch might work but I am concerned it will trap water and turn the paths into a longer lasting soup. Mulch may also attract slugs or termites that could be detrimental to the desirable garden plants. Concrete stepping stones might be another solution.

I do have an available abundance of rice and banana stalks. I have used the rice stalks for mulching around trees with great results, if I could only keep the chickens from tearing them up. I don't know if the rice stalks would hold up to much walking traffic, would just trap water where you want a firm hard surface, and or attract undesirable insects. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

When I gardened with Biointensive raised beds with 2' pathways in between, I had the same problem. I cut 2' wide 1/2 inch thick plywood strips to lay down in the pathways. It's not an aesthetic surface, but it works for walking and wheelbarrow. And when you weed or harvest from the side of the bed, you use the plywood path for a temporary storage surface and it's easy to clean up.  The plywood lasts at least one season and then you can easily replace it. 

Reading a book about Vietnam War last night, just happened to read a sentence that said the farmers covered their raised foot paths with a layer or two of banana leaves.

Really odd that I see this question here today, and that I remembered that innocuous detail.  :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2018 at 1:09 AM, drtreelove said:

When I gardened with Biointensive raised beds with 2' pathways in between, I had the same problem. I cut 2' wide 1/2 inch thick plywood strips to lay down in the pathways. It's not an aesthetic surface, but it works for walking and wheelbarrow. And when you weed or harvest from the side of the bed, you use the plywood path for a temporary storage surface and it's easy to clean up.  The plywood lasts at least one season and then you can easily replace it. 

Thanks, Plywood is thinking outside the box. I am not sure if it's for me but it is an interesting option.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:46 AM, 55Jay said:

Reading a book about Vietnam War last night, just happened to read a sentence that said the farmers covered their raised foot paths with a layer or two of banana leaves.

Really odd that I see this question here today, and that I remembered that innocuous detail.  :biggrin:

Thanks, having an abundance of banana leaves, I guess I will have to give it a try. I do fear it will provide cover for undesirable pests. I guess I will have to try it to find out.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:50 AM, 473geo said:

Why not bricks (no cement or just a thin supporting concrete base if you think necessary)easy to lay and reusable again if the pathway is changed

Thanks,

Bricks would be nice and most attractive but they are outside of my price range. 

37 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

Thanks, having an abundance of banana leaves, I guess I will have to give it a try. I do fear it will provide cover for undesirable pests. I guess I will have to try it to find out.

The banana leaves would fulfill some of the objectives, but they dry up and shrivel in a week or so and need constant replacement. And they don't provide firm support if you want to take a wheel barrow down the path. And they don't get you an elevation or rigid support on top of muddy soil. And if you want to inspect for snails and slugs, it's easy with plywood but not so with banana leaves.

• 3 months later...