Kids Driving Motorbikes

wgdanson

16 minutes ago, i claudius said:

cost me my no claims bonus.

& did your premium go up if having received it yet

This is what i mentioned before - Let's say the mother said OK ring the Police & is still demanding money (so of down to the station ) 

Since you have Class 1 Insurance you leave it up to Ins. Company to decide to pay or not. If forced to make that claim to cover all, why don't these Ins companies go after the illegal person

EG. I had just got my full license in Auss ( not sure how long I had it for ), involved in small accident (charged ). The other party claimed on Ins & the Ins. Company sent me the bill since other party proved who was in the wrong, hence other party losing no claim & premium hike

Rightly or wrongly perhaps the Thai parents are allowed a little scope on when they think their offspring are capable of riding a motorsi to school. I guess the parents can calculate the risk. No doubt some will insist their children use less personal transport if available.

My daughter (15) has traveled to school in our rural area on her own motorsi for over a year now. I consider it good practice with only one busy road to cross right alongside the school. She drives confidently and carefully.

Soon she changes school and goes into a busy town some 10 klms away. My wife will not allow daily travel and my daughter will board with a friend near to school. Not sure if she will take the motorsi and use it in the town, probably will, but at least I know she has driven for a while and will be much better equipped to handle the bike than a new learner starting out.

I do agree training and education would be beneficial and certainly the enforcement of the compulsory helmet law. Surely the place for this is right outside the school, catch them young make wearing a helmet habit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Even if they have a license and are thus covered by "insurance". If they have insurance, it's just the compulsory insurance anyway, and this insurance only pays for medical treatment, not for damage to your truck. So you would be in the same situation, with or without insurance (their insurance).

Edited by jackdd

40 minutes ago, seajae said:

problem is that at their ages they are too immature & they dont stop to realize how dangerous some of their riding habits are, speeding while swerving in and out of traffic chasing each other doesnt help. Parents that say they are good enough to ride does not make it so, they need to know the road rules and be licensed, its not up to parents but to the laws when it all boils down to it. Like the 12 year old driving herself to school through Surat Thani in her fathers car for a long time with no accidents, does that mean all 12 year olds should be ok to do it, that is not the answer. The laws are there for a reason even if the police dont enforce them, maybe when their kids have an accident or die they will realize that they are wrong, police need to enforce the law, parents need to be held responsible and fined a big amount or lose the bike, maybe then when it starts to cost them money they will stop their kids from doing it but again that would require the police to get out and do their jobs, will never happen. I am so over having to swerve or break suddenly due to under age kids riding habits, many are simply too stupid in their thinking to be on the road but then again so are many others

Well  improve your own pooe driving habits , treat them all as bad, preempt them and stop swerving around as if your a Kid.

The factory of death!  who is going to teach these kids?  the traits are pass down right now from their peers obtaining a license is just a obstacle when they actually get one they fly out of the department like a bat out of hell which is the same way they got there. 

I think westerners like myself voice our opinion because we care and maybe those seem to criticize us are just too afraid things might change for the better for Thai people.  Yes, Thais are dying the great resource of their country 25,000 per year, over a million injuries, thousands hurt to the point they can't take care of themselves, billions in baht lost to a problem that can be control if they just ask for help from the outside.  I'm not trying to change this country I fully understand not every Thai can buy a car, insurance etc..  but there is got to be exceptions to even their rules and that is do it safely. How do you try to enforce a grown up to wear a helmet get a license and let kids go around all day without one breaking every law they have set forth to prevent the problem?  Every solution by every Thai goes against all logic. You can't say a red light is stop and proceed with caution then allow a person to fly through one and kill themselves and do nothing about it? The concept was to allow gets young so they can get to school but has created a larger problem allowing parents in their culture to just let them take care of themselves once they are allowed to go to school they can now free to do whatever they like instead of actually going to school? 

It is a epidemic one day Thai leaders might recognized is leading to many of their other problems which they have used Section 44 to try to fix.

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 473geo said:

Rightly or wrongly perhaps the Thai parents are allowed a little scope on when they think their offspring are capable of riding a motorsi to school. I guess the parents can calculate the risk. No doubt some will insist their children use less personal transport if available.

My daughter (15) has traveled to school in our rural area on her own motorsi for over a year now. I consider it good practice with only one busy road to cross right alongside the school. She drives confidently and carefully.

Soon she changes school and goes into a busy town some 10 klms away. My wife will not allow daily travel and my daughter will board with a friend near to school. Not sure if she will take the motorsi and use it in the town, probably will, but at least I know she has driven for a while and will be much better equipped to handle the bike than a new learner starting out.

I do agree training and education would be beneficial and certainly the enforcement of the compulsory helmet law. Surely the place for this is right outside the school, catch them young make wearing a helmet habit.

The parents  "Can Calculate The Risk" !!! They couldn't calculate 1+1 let alone weigh up any sort of risk. If you wanted a better example of risk calculation, ask a caterpillar or a slug.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

Thai kids' motorcycle licenses are their birth certificates

Whats with all the westernised ideas and thinking on here, Thailand wouldnt be Thailand if they followed the way of western thinking, rules and regulations

But the west has waaaaay less kid funerals...

• Like 2

As a kid in 1950's England my dad had the only car in the street which he used for work, mum's did their shopping on foot and kids got to school on foot or walked to the nearest public bus stop...

Thinking back, there were not many fat mum's or kids back then, wonder why...:whistling:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

Thai kids' motorcycle licenses are their birth certificates

Whats with all the westernised ideas and thinking on here, Thailand wouldnt be Thailand if they followed the way of western thinking, rules and regulations

So Thai parents don't want their kids to survive into adulthood and are prepared to risk them dying on the roads to avoid having to arrange safer transport for them?

Actually, I know they don't care/think nothing can go wrong as even the rich ones don't waste money on child safety seats. They would rather pay for a sportier exhaust. That's why you see so many unrestrained kids standing between the front seats in cars and so many underage kids riding motorcycles without helmets. When I was young, we walked to school, or cycled if it was a bit too far. If you lived really far away, you used a bus. Those alternatives are very underused here. 

• Like 1

The Nanny State Control Freaks are loose here these days. We fit in with Thai Ways. Westerners are bloody useless drivers in general here.They know the safety side is bad, in all aspects,yet drive as if there in their homeland. Fit in, shut up, and enjoy being here.Or at least just moan about the awfull Hotel Breakfast Buffets like i do..:partytime2:

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

The Nanny State Control Freaks are loose here these days. We fit in with Thai Ways. Westerners are bloody useless drivers in general here.They know the safety side is bad, in all aspects,yet drive as if there in their homeland. Fit in, shut up, and enjoy being here.Or at least just moan about the awfull Hotel Breakfast Buffets like i do..:partytime2:

It's OK to have the Easy Rider mentality until it's one of your friends or relatives that's crushed to pieces on the tarmac, or you look at another child's broken body and think how easily they could and should have been protected. Hope you never have to do that, I have.

• Thanks 1