Kids Driving Motorbikes

wgdanson

3 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Nanny State Control Freaks are loose here these days. We fit in with Thai Ways. Westerners are bloody useless drivers in general here.They know the safety side is bad, in all aspects,yet drive as if there in their homeland. Fit in, shut up, and enjoy being here.Or at least just moan about the awfull Hotel Breakfast Buffets like i do..:partytime2:

Yeah, stick your head in the sand and just hope you don't die on the road.

Great advice.

• Like 1

It's not just Thai parents. I took a one year break from Thailand in 2016 and upon my return I noticed a lot more foreigners without helmets. I noticed many farang dads taking their kids to school 3 up no helmets.

what a way to educate your kids, NOT! 

Also foreign teachers coming to school on motorbikes helmet less. Big no-no in my books.

• Like 1

Thai's will never comply fully to road traffic laws ....... fact. Mum's & Dad's allow kids to ride motorcycles to go to school ..... how else do they get there? Not all Mum's & Dad's drive their kids to school ..... if they did we would not see 4 kids on one bike in the mornings & afternoons at peak travel times .... fact. I cringe every day seeing these kids taking risks in conjested traffic.  I've seen some "Yellow" school buses around. I wonder what schools operate these ...... possibly private one's, but it's not a very common sight. Mostly schools have large carparks to accommodate all the bikes used daily by students ..... all jointly owned by student's families ..... fact. The government here acknowledge the problem, but nothing is ever done or they just pay it "lip service" for a while until it goes away. There are no public or school bus services to take kids to school, which I think is something the government should be doing ........... but it's like waiting for paint to dry ........ Taking care of future generations is so important, but it will never be seen as a priority here ........ sad.  

Edited by Daveyh

As I understand your question, your only concern is that kids who drive a motobike/car without having the legal age are not insured and in case of an accident you would not be able to claim a damage.

Lowering the age of which the kids would be legal to drive is IMHO not the correct way to go for many reasons.

In my country, parents are required by law to sign for a family insurance.
This insurance covers acts like:
- Accidents caused by domestic animals.
- Accidents caused by negligance (eg. falling tree branches, oil spill on the patio, etc.).
- Accidents caused by children (riding skateboard, riding roller skates, riding bybicycle, etc.)
Etc.
The meaning of this insurance is to cover ther parents (who are responsable for their kids and their property) for accidents which would otherwise send them into poverty.

This is IMHO a far better aproach, but if Thailand is ready for such an insurance is unsure.

15 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Well  improve your own pooe driving habits , treat them all as bad, preempt them and stop swerving around as if your a Kid.

Easier said than done...  Pre-empting the idiotic manoeuvres of motorcyclists in Thailand still results in daily emergency braking to avoid them.

Pretty much each and every day I consider I have saved a motorcyclist from injury by emergency braking... If we were to pre-empt the motorcyclist pulling out in front of me at each and every side Soi I would have to stop for each and every side soi....  You can throw words such as pre-empt, predict etc out there all you like, however, preempting the galactic stupidity and dangerous nature of some of the riders is unpractical as you'd have to come to a halt whenever near a motorcycle and even then I'm sure one would still manage to hit you !!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Easier said than done...  Pre-empting the idiotic manoeuvres of motorcyclists in Thailand still results in daily emergency braking to avoid them.

Pretty much each and every day I consider I have saved a motorcyclist from injury by emergency braking... If we were to pre-empt the motorcyclist pulling out in front of me at each and every side Soi I would have to stop for each and every side soi....  You can throw words such as pre-empt, predict etc out there all you like, however, preempting the galactic stupidity and dangerous nature of some of the riders is unpractical as you'd have to come to a halt whenever near a motorcycle and even then I'm sure one would still manage to hit you !!!

Crafty evasive middle class retort, no Cigar!. Bkk driving requires a different approach to say Suphanbury, where 159 seems to be minimum limit like Bkk to Pats motorway, Issarn. well, thats pot luck if nothing hits you Central Thai are generally quite reasonable drivers. Bu what do i know, only been here 30 years driving 50K PA round my franchises.Dont have an attitude here,  be careful fit in and pray if you do so..

39 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

No young man, when in a War Zone, react accordingly, the other side dont want your oppinion.

From your comments in this thread, I can understand why the 'other side' as you call them don't want your opinion. Firstly you refer to Thai's as 'the other side' and not, us, as in part of a community within which you live.

And no, Thailand is not a 'war zone' that comment is, well, for want of a better description is just daft...

Have a discussion with any well educated Thai, their opinions are very similar and critical discussions nearly always draw the same conclusions....

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

As I understand your question, your only concern is that kids who drive a motobike/car without having the legal age are not insured and in case of an accident you would not be able to claim a damage.

Lowering the age of which the kids would be legal to drive is IMHO not the correct way to go for many reasons.

In my country, parents are required by law to sign for a family insurance.
This insurance covers acts like:
- Accidents caused by domestic animals.
- Accidents caused by negligance (eg. falling tree branches, oil spill on the patio, etc.).
- Accidents caused by children (riding skateboard, riding roller skates, riding bybicycle, etc.)
Etc.
The meaning of this insurance is to cover ther parents (who are responsable for their kids and their property) for accidents which would otherwise send them into poverty.

This is IMHO a far better aproach, but if Thailand is ready for such an insurance is unsure.

But would that cover an under-age kid driving the 'family'motorbike

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

From your comments in this thread, I can understand why the 'other side' as you call them don't want your opinion. Firstly you refer to Thai's as 'the other side' and not, us, as in part of a community within which you live.

And no, Thailand is not a 'war zone' that comment is, well, for want of a better description is just daft...

Have a discussion with any well educated Thai, their opinions are very similar and critical discussions nearly always draw the same conclusions....

That reply was aimed at a Puppy, more in annoyance than worth. Correct as you are about Educated Thais, but one has to work with Materials Available, and thats limited.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Your insurance

Yep, I know a case where two twelve year olds crashed, one dead one with broken arm...The parents were paid out by the insurance of the bloke who did sod all wrong...:sad:

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, I know a case where two twelve year olds crashed, one dead one with broken arm...The parents were paid out by the insurance of the bloke who did sod all wrong...:sad:

Aww... insurance...  why should we have all this 'nanny state' stuff... ? can't we just fit in with those Thai's who don't have insurance?  :whistling:

[for those working with 'limited materials available to them' - the above remark is tongue-in-cheek!]

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Aww... insurance...  why should we have all this 'nanny state' stuff... ? can't we just fit in with those Thai's who don't have insurance?  :whistling:

[for those working with 'limited materials available to them' - the above remark is tongue-in-cheek!]

Actually the bloke was a Thai but had real insurance...

57 minutes ago, wgdanson said:
3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Noticable that your only concern was about  the damage that could be done to your pick up....no worries for the damage the kid could sustain?

Correct.

You've just answered your own concerns.........don't drive your pickup on the roads.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Actually the bloke was a Thai but had real insurance...

My point was aimed at another poster whose 'anti-nanny-state' argument forgets that the avoidance of civilized behavior (i.e. the avoidance of 'nanny state' rule and regulation) impact us all negatively... 

19 minutes ago, transam said:

& this is the biggest problem here

Looks like most Thai Ins. companies (they may even be Falang Thai branch ones ) are willing to just pay out (to both parties ) instead of finding fault & having the person (like above ) be penalised come his next Premium renewal

So why do these insurance companies make it so hard to claim for treatment in a hospital

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Crafty evasive middle class retort, no Cigar!. Bkk driving requires a different approach to say Suphanbury, where 159 seems to be minimum limit like Bkk to Pats motorway, Issarn. well, thats pot luck if nothing hits you Central Thai are generally quite reasonable drivers. Bu what do i know, only been here 30 years driving 50K PA round my franchises.Dont have an attitude here,  be careful fit in and pray if you do so..

you sound more like an idiotic teenager with the crap you are sprooking, anyone driving by the road rules according to you is a bad driver, really have to wonder at your intelligence levels when you think that all drivers should simply disregard the laws and do what ever they like, Thailand is already number one in the world for road deaths and the greater majority are on bikes, pretty obvious they thought just like you until they became another statistic

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

& this is the biggest problem here

Looks like most Thai Ins. companies (they may even be Falang Thai branch ones ) are willing to just pay out (to both parties ) instead of finding fault & having the person (like above ) be penalised come his next Premium renewal

So why do these insurance companies make it so hard to claim for treatment in a hospital

First look at "who" sorts the paperwork out so insurance cash is paid out...

2 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

The Nanny State Control Freaks are loose here these days. We fit in with Thai Ways. Westerners are bloody useless drivers in general here.They know the safety side is bad, in all aspects,yet drive as if there in their homeland. Fit in, shut up, and enjoy being here.Or at least just moan about the awfull Hotel Breakfast Buffets like i do..

I'm with you on this one bubba.
I try and fit in when driving here. Passing on blind bends and a few late pass chicken runs makes one feel part of the culture. Chomping on a bag of fried bugs while driving helps enhance the integration.

But for the ultimate Thai driving experience you got to glue some cardboard tubes to the front of your sun glasses and just hit the gas like there's no tomorrow.
Edited by Fruit Trader

10 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:
I'm with you on this one bubba.
I try and fit in when driving here. Passing on blind bends and a few late pass chicken runs makes one feel part of the culture. Chomping on a bag of fried bugs while driving helps enhance the integration.

But for the ultimate Thai driving experience you got to glue some cardboard tubes to the front of your sun glasses and just hit the gas like there's no tomorrow.

:stoner:No need ive got Black Cheapo Tint, cant see FA, but it looks cool.

I agree with the take the bike, then charge 000 baht or even more to get it back.

then if it happens 2-3 times or bike not claimed within X amounts of days, sold at auctions.

the kids don't own the bike, of course.

but if the parents knew this would happen there would be a LOT less kids driving on the street, a lot less adults without helmets/drivers license/insurance too.

less accidents, less deaths etc

22 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Interesting proposal. That then beggars the question, what about the kids riding around on bikes younger than 12, cos as you have probably noticed, there are more than a few of them too. The more you lower the legal age, the less of a gap kids are going to see between them and the legal age. Kids of 10 will want to have a practice, so they are ready when they get their license.

To my mind 15 is a reasonable age. The problem as with all other road laws in this country that none of them are ever enforced. Kids in England would drive around on Motor bikes if they weren't so scared of the cops there, who do enforce the laws. If the cops here could get off their fat, lazy backsides and enforce the laws, confiscating bikes of anyone under age, we would see the numbers out there drop dramatically. But you know the cops will pull over the farang for no license, while 3 or 4 young kids on one bike sail by, without a helmet between them.

It's not about the age, it is about a culture where road laws are seen more as guidelines than laws. This is where the problem begins and ends and no amount of changing the legal age will alter that.

No money to be made out of local kids.

20 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Young Kids who know they shouldn't be riding are rather good , i find, its the Oiks on those skinny wheel moped looking things are the idiots.

I tend to agree. It's usually the flash harry's who are more likely to cause the problems. not just the ones with the skinny mini wheels, but those who remove the mufflers from the exhaust and other stupid adjustments.