what paperwork to renew a thai DL ?

chubby

Can anyone tell me if I can renew my DL before the expire date and how long before it expires I can renew. Mine expires on the 14th May, I have an appointment at the British embassy that day. So I can't do it on the 14th.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, remobb said:

Can anyone tell me if I can renew my DL before the expire date and how long before it expires I can renew. Mine expires on the 14th May, I have an appointment at the British embassy that day. So I can't do it on the 14th.

Thanks in advance.

I've read you can renew 2 months before expiration date.  

13 minutes ago, Max66 said:

I've read you can renew 2 months before expiration date.  

3 months. Quite sure as I once took the effort to find it in Thai language on the DLT website. It's not described in English.

1 hour ago, remobb said:

Mine expires on the 14th May, I have an appointment at the British embassy that day. So I can't do it on the 14th.

Why you worry? 3 months before and up to one year after expiry.

Do you hold a 2 year temporary or a 5 year (normal) license?

If 5 year to 5 year go on May 15th (by taxi/bus if you are concerned) or a later day.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

On 27/04/2018 at 12:19 PM, remobb said:

Thanks for your replies guys. I actually went today and all is done. 2 1/2 hours total.

Good. Did you happen to find out how soon can you renew prior to expiration? And did you need a tm 30 and a copy of your lease? 

Thanks.

Edited by Max66
Ck

20 hours ago, Max66 said:

Good. Did you happen to find out how soon can you renew prior to expiration? And did you need a tm 30 and a copy of your lease? 

Thanks.

Hi Max66. My renewal was rather easy because I have a work permit.

All I needed was my current Thai driving licence and my passport, photo copies of each. I took a medical cert but they didn't even look at it. Cost was 505baht. Still had to do the eye and response tests and watch the movie. That was it. They take your photo you pay and all done. With the movie and ques took about 2 hours. Mine was due on the 12 May and had no problem. Other than that sorry, I didn't check how soon one can renew.

1 hour ago, remobb said:

Hi Max66. My renewal was rather easy because I have a work permit.

All I needed was my current Thai driving licence and my passport, photo copies of each. I took a medical cert but they didn't even look at it. Cost was 505baht. Still had to do the eye and response tests and watch the movie. That was it. They take your photo you pay and all done. With the movie and ques took about 2 hours. Mine was due on the 12 May and had no problem. Other than that sorry, I didn't check how soon one can renew.

Thanks remobb. Glad everything went smooth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 1:54 PM, KhunBENQ said:

...... 3 months before and up to one year after expiry......

i'll be renewing 2-yr to 5-yr, but will be outside the kingdom during the entire 3 month window.

during this 1- year period after expiry do the requirements remain the same?

==  res.cert. from immigration/embassy letter,  health cert., thai license, fee.

no need to take the theory test unless license expired > one year? 

(from DLT website, just confirming)

3 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

during this 1- year period after expiry do the requirements remain the same?

==  res.cert. from immigration/embassy letter,  health cert., thai license, fee.

Yes, unchanged.

3 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

no need to take the theory test unless license expired > one year? 

(from DLT website, just confirming)

Yes, no theory test if expired less than one year.

Physical tests as usual.