300cc bike for Bangkok and beyond

Barnabe

I'm thinking about getting a bike that I can use regularly in Bangkok (not every day though, I'm not a masochist), and also to make some long-ish trips around the country.

So it's basically a compromise of size, power and price. The 300cc category seems ideal, as it's powerful enough for long trips, small enough to do lane filtering but not too powerful for my relatively inexperienced hands.

My top choices right now are the Kawa Z300 and the Yamaha MT-03. Looking at reviews, the Yamaha seems the better machine, just slightly as it has more power and better dynamics, but I have to say I find the Z300 a gorgeous looking bike, especially in the Kawa green or black/red colors. Both of these retail around 160k baht with discounts.

As for Honda, unfortunately it's almost impossible to find new CB300F as they are phasing out the model to bring in the CB300R, which is an eyesore. The Rebel 300 is ok, but too low for my big legs.

As for sport bikes, I love how they look but they make my wrists hurt, so won't be considering those. Adventure bikes, the Kawa Versys X-300 looks awesome and would be great for long trips on shitty roads, but it's a monster for Bangkok.

Any comments from owners of these bikes?

I'd get an R3. I know you have concerns about your wrists but these 300cc "sportsbikes" don't have an extreme riding position compared to supersports, they are actually pretty upright. I'd call them faired bikes rather than sports bikes as they aren't far away from the naked riding position with the added benefit of wind protection.

The R3 will also be better for longer trips as it is fully faired and you can fit a larger touring screen to it if you wish, plus riding a bit quicker on highways means you might appreciate the slightly forward stance since the wind holds your body up and takes even more weight off your wrists. I have an old Ninja 250 and it's a great Bangkok bike, very slim through traffic and no issues with aching wrists etc. I actually prefer it in heavy Bangkok traffic to my MT-09 (which is a very similar style to the MT-03) due to the narrower bars. Maybe ride one if you can, you might be surprised how comfy they are. Ninja 400 is also a good option if you decide on a faired bike.

If you're dead set on a naked bike, the MT-03 or Z300 would be my choice. The Honda cb300f is a single, ugly, down on power and lacks any form of character in my opinion. The new "neo cafe" is a bit better, but it's still a single and down on power. The Honda 500 twins are better, I wouldn't be too concerned about them having too much power, they are still pretty tame.

imo, power means nothing for long rides, power is for acceleration,

like in taking over or getting out on the next lane.

the only parameter is comfort, specially for the arms so they dont go numb.

avoid hand bar that forces your arms to be straight like some double nazi salute,

best way is if the upper arm hangs straight down alongside your body,

and your forearm goes out in a 90 degree angle.

another consideration for long rides is serviceability, a comfortable scooter would be

a good choice since they can be repaired every 200 meters by every mechanic, that already have the spare parts, but unfortunately i never saw a comfortable scooter, because how small they are,

i have to sit on the back seat, which means my arms are stretched to the limit to reach the handle bar, like some perv double nazi salute.

a 3rd consideration is tires, on my chopper,

the walls were so stiff so only because i knew the bike so well could i tell if i had a flat, i.e it just wasnt a big deal, the tyre looked and nearly functioned

like it was OK.

this is fundamentally different from a scooter,

when a flat on your front tyre will invariably cause a crash

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

To each his own, but my mt-03 is excellent in city traffic and in the twisties. If most of your riding is on highways though, as you become a more experienced rider I expect you would be looking for more power. This would be the same with any modern 300 cc class bike.

• Like 1

Maybe you should consider two bikes.

I have a Suzuki Raider R150 which is perfect for Bangkok traffic, but I wouldn't want to use it on long trips.

And anything comfortable and "big" is a hassle in Bangkok traffic.

I know lots of guys say they can wiggle somehow between the cars even with "big" bikes. I also did this some time ago with a VFR400. But by comparison it's so much easier with the small bike.

Maybe have a look at this:

Thanks for the comments.

I've tried a CBR150R, which is also pretty upright for a sports bike, and didn't like it one bit, so I'll pass on those.

I thought about having two bikes, but it's just too expensive for now.

Seems most people who vote for naked go for MT 03. Personally between it and the Z300, the Z is so much more beautiful.

I guess the next step is to try both and see what rides best. If I like the MT driving much more I'll get that, otherwise I'll get the Z.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poanoi said:

imo, power means nothing for long rides, power is for acceleration,

like in taking over or getting out on the next lane.

Which makes Power a definite requirement on long rides. No power, no acceleration, no getting out of the way.

And the 500cc Hondas are only about 40 HP so no rocket ship.

Big scooter - every bike shop in LOS can fix a Honda Wave, or similar. I would not bet most - if any - have any experience fixing a maxi scooter. How many do you see on the roads ? Not many.

Just back from 4 days on the road - saw 2. Both in cities.

15 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Which makes Power a definite requirement on long rides. No power, no acceleration, no getting out of the way.

And the 500cc Hondas are only about 40 HP so no rocket ship.

Big scooter - every bike shop in LOS can fix a Honda Wave, or similar. I would not bet most - if any - have any experience fixing a maxi scooter. How many do you see on the roads ? Not many.

Just back from 4 days on the road - saw 2. Both in cities.

depends a bit, if i go with a gang, sure, i need the power to keep up

and get those overtakes over with in a hurry to minimize risk,

but driving alone, aside from wanting to hear the roar of open throttle

and that special vibration going up the crotch,

i am honestly not in that urgent need of power, its usually 2 lanes at least in any direction, its not like i have a plane or job to catch, and i dont even like to drive fast, specially not with the nut cases just waiting on me at every U turn to cross my path to ensure a horrifying death, or much worse still,

paralyzed in a fookin bed until i die of old age

Edited by poanoi
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, poanoi said:

depends a bit, if i go with a gang, sure, i need the power to keep up

and get those overtakes over with in a hurry to minimize risk,

but driving alone, aside from wanting to hear the roar of open throttle

and that special vibration going up the crotch,

i am honestly not in that urgent need of power, its usually 2 lanes at least in any direction, its not like i have a plane or job to catch, and i dont even like to drive fast, specially not with the nut cases just waiting on me at every U turn to cross my path to ensure a horrifying death, or much worse still,

paralyzed in a fookin bed until i die of old age

Sometimes it's nice to have that power to avoid those nut cases...

• Like 2

For driving position try this website    www.cycle-ergo.com 

It's pretty cool if you have not tried it yet, you enter your height and choose a bike and it shows your body and arm position and their angle when seated normally. 

I also vote for MT-03, check on the site above and see it has a good seating position (not sure the passenger seat is any comfortable on any of these though,  small/hard seat, for that try Xmas or Forza scooters).

Also I did some research on Kawa Z250 SL a while back, some come with ABS fitted, it is a very light (small) and fairly powerful bike (one cylinder), you can get 2nd hand ones at very good price these days....

For Chinese check Benelli 250 or 300 (have some descent feedback) and also the Stallion 400 (if you want comfort seating, try this, it's a cafe racer style with power at 115K baht)....

• Like 1

Actually a 300cc bike is too big for BKK, but for longer travels it's of course better. And manual transmission also sucks in BKK traffic ;)

Thought about a Honda Forza or Yamaha XMAX yet?

You can also have a look at the KTM Duke 390 (i think only second hand, because not sold here since a while) and the BMW G310 GS or R

You wont go wrong with either the Yamaha , MT or R3 , or a Kawasaki Ninja or Z 300. The Kawasaki 400 could be priced around 200-220K. A bargain , but maybe above what you want to spend. Have you considered the Benelli TNT 300 for a bit of Italian style. All the above bikes have twin cylinder engines and are fun rides. The single cylinder Honda is best avoided.

59 minutes ago, Agusts said:

For driving position try this website    www.cycle-ergo.com 

It's pretty cool if you have not tried it yet, you enter your height and choose a bike and it shows your body and arm position and their angle when seated normally. 

Thanks! That is a great tool.

I just tried and it even fades from one bike to another. Wow.

I don't think so.

Yes I also disagree with that. With manual the bike is much more responsive and can race through the gaps that open and close quickly.

The KTM is also a nice bike, but I'm not sure it can cope with long distance travel for days on end, and it I'll be harder to service in the provinces.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've answered your own question. You love the look of the Z300 so just get it.(I agree) The performance differences between it and the MT03 are minimal. MT better low end, Z3 better top end.

I would suggest the new Ninja 400 as it reads like its head and shoulders above the rest but u don't want a sports bike so Z300 it is.

• Like 2

Sounds like you've answered your own question. You love the look of the Z300 so just get it.(I agree) The performance differences between it and the MT03 are minimal. MT better low end, Z3 better top end.

I would suggest the new Ninja 400 as it reads like its head and shoulders above the rest but u don't want a sports bike so Z300 it is.

Pretty much, but I'll definitely test drive both before buying. I'll also test drive the Versys 300, although it's big for Bangkok it's starting to look much more attractive for longer trips and the type of usage I'll give it.

I enjoy riding in Bangkok with heavy traffic, but that's because I do it occasionally. Doing it every day would be a nightmare.