Hanging internet wires claim motorcycle victim in Khon Kaen - woman, 39, is dead

webfact

Hanging internet wires claim motorcycle victim in Khon Kaen - woman, 39, is dead

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Dangerous hanging wires were the cause of a woman's death in downtown Khon Kaen yesterday evening.

Witnesses said that a large high sided delivery van from out of town had dragged down some internet cables near the entrance to the Ken Nakorn Withayalai School on Lao Nadee Road by the temple of Wat Pa Nanthikaram.

Just at that moment Maneenet Charoenngao, 39, was following on a Honda motorcycle and had no chance.

Her neck became entangled in the wires and she was thrown to the tarmac.

Daily News said she was nearly decapitated and died at the scene.

The victim came from Phra Lap sub-district of Muang district.

Police are investigating the veracity of the witness claims.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-26
  • Sad 3

Horrible.

Hard to decide whether it was a botch job with the cables or another crazy over/high loaded truck.

Likely hood is 50/50.

Such a rupture cost me 3 days of fiber internet outage (only).

Needed a lot of calls to get them to the site and repair.

Some farm machine/sugar cane loader had torn it down just outside the village.

• Like 1

Every time a double level tourist bus drives down my soi, it tends to dislodge the fiber internet cable that reaches my home from across the other side of the soi.  The fiber cable never falls to the ground, but apparently gets yanked enough by the bus to sever the working connection.

I've tried to get the internet companies to hang the cable higher to prevent future outages and service calls. But they pretty much keep re-hanging it in the exact same levels as before, ensuring there will be another outage and service call down the road the next time another double level bus drives past.

Wonder how the cable undergrounding project is going in KK???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New Zealand had the best idea and made Foxtel install conduits underground for there wires and also made them put in a second conduit for the countries power lines to go underground. Same could have been enforced with internet cabling in Thailand.

Sukhumvit Rd looks so much better with the dozens of power cables removed and the ones needed now underground. Its really cleaning the look of the streets up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Poor unfortunate woman, traveling along then bang shes dead.

All because phone/ internet companies employees are too damn lazy to set the cables at the correct height, wich is a minimum of 5 mtrs.

R.I.P. young lady too young to die.

The minimum height for phones cables in France is 6 meters ; the same for electric cables .

But nearly 99% are under ground in a city .

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wasn't there, so I can't be sure, but maybe the truck was overloaded beyond maximum permissible height (if such thing existed in Thailand, to start with) and snagged the cables as a result? If yes, then the truck driver/owner is responsible for the woman's death. If not, then the phone company and its contractor should be charged with, I don't know, something along the lines of 'negligence causing death'? But this being Thailand, it will be just another death, and whoever caused it will just carry on. It's just another scene for smartphone warriors to forward to and share with their friends and chat groups.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Every time a double level tourist bus drives down my soi, it tends to dislodge the fiber internet cable that reaches my home from across the other side of the soi.  The fiber cable never falls to the ground, but apparently gets yanked enough by the bus to sever the working connection.

I've tried to get the internet companies to hang the cable higher to prevent future outages and service calls. But they pretty much keep re-hanging it in the exact same levels as before, ensuring there will be another outage and service call down the road the next time another double level bus drives past.

Wonder how the cable undergrounding project is going in KK???

Only use same short ladder and protect repeat income stream.  I do feel cynical.   It is just so easily preventable, like so many of the tragedies in this fatalist accepting place.

14 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Resident also sued for not informing company about the hanging cables on street.

This is a man made death of a innocent victim. Hang them who is responsible ?

Who is responsible? Man, you are in Thailand... No farang, no Burmese works for the cable/electric/ whatever company so no responsible person. R.I.P.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Similar incident but no injuries on Naklua Road recently. 

Top of passing Songthaew caught in low hanging 2 cm radius cable between two lampposts on opposite sides of the road and dragged it for quite a while.

I on motorbike signalled for him to stop, whilst a speeding motorbike taxi somewhat behind me, cursed at me for stopping in the road.

Of course when the idiot saw the potentially dangerous situation I had averted, he shut his mouth.

Songthaew driver's wife ran from the car with her baby. Songthaew driver almost paralysed with fear. No one doing anything but taking pictures and video.

Convinced driver that we should unwedge the cable from the roof of his Songthaew.

He was somewhat fearful, but we worked from opposite sides of the vehicle and managed to remove it.

Of course when completed, he went to drive off and completely neglected to thank me for my assistance.

I had to gently remind him by asking him if he was ok now...

Edited by KneeDeep

Khon kaen is a pretty safe place compared to a lot of cities but there are a few strange happenings. A traffic light on Maliwan road is built too close to a bridge just in front of it and obstructs the visibility of the traffic light. Same road has very poor lighting in one part and a nightmare u turn in the dimly lit area. Once was enough we just avoid that u turn at all costs now.

there seems to be no standards as to the height of the wires or of the placement. I had 3BB internet in Udon Thani and they ran the wire from the box on the pole across the southbound lanes of Mittraphap Road to a pole in the centre then across the northbound lanes into a tree and around the upper trunk then to a pole between my house and the tree so when we got the first strong wind the wire was broken and when they came to fix it they did exactly the same thing so in another couple of days they were back again to fix it but where it broke in the tree the wire dropped onto Mittraphap Roads northbound lanes on an angle from the pole in the centre.

Just plain uneducated stupidity

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

there seems to be no standards as to the height of the wires or of the placement. I had 3BB internet in Udon Thani and they ran the wire from the box on the pole across the southbound lanes of Mittraphap Road to a pole in the centre then across the northbound lanes into a tree and around the upper trunk then to a pole between my house and the tree so when we got the first strong wind the wire was broken and when they came to fix it they did exactly the same thing so in another couple of days they were back again to fix it but where it broke in the tree the wire dropped onto Mittraphap Roads northbound lanes on an angle from the pole in the centre.

Just plain uneducated stupidity

nah - if you ask he workers if the same thing is likely to happen again or not, they will probably say yes, it will happen.

but they don't care, they get the same wage anyway.

the truth is that nobody in the lower chain of command responsible for those things has any motivation to do things right.

• Like 2

As long as the cost of fixing the problem is higher than the cost to do nothing then nothing will change. Charges of manslaughter against the company execs and massive fines would soon sort out the problem. Blame the politicians who are too cowardly to implement the legislation and ensure the police enforce it. Even the useless wee General with all of his big talk can't change things around here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

have been told that 'data lines' are the lowest hanging, lower than the more dangerous 'power lines', even so , sounds like the cables were too low to begin with; thais are not good at seeing potential safety problems

thais are not good at seeing potential safety problems

So true

hanging wires? want hanging wires? try soi three between sukhumvit and bumrungrad hospital!  they are solow you have to duck in order not to touch them! there are so many and you don't know what kind of wires they are but i noticed some of them are electrical wires!  and this is all over thailand!

• Sad 1