Seven Pattaya hotel operators - four foreigners - taken in by police for not having licences

webfact

7. Atlantis Condo ( Building B )in Jomtien. Ms Daengkhamkhun, 47, arrested.

Excellent and about time. There are hundreds of other agencies or owners in condo buildings here which are operating as illegal hotels. Bring it on and arrest them all. Every single one. Thais and farangs alike.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

" 7. Atlantis Condo ( Building B )in Jomtien. Ms Daengkhamkhun, 47, arrested."

illegal to rent your condo for just a few days.

NCC1701A - I agree with you that it is illegal ,  and not fair to the hotels , when a condo is rented out as if it were a hotel room for overnight occupancy.

But if the BiB wish to check , on any given day they can go to pretty much all the new condo buildings in Jomtien and , at about 8:00 a.m. , witness the hordes of overnight, short-stay Chinese tourists boarding buses for their day tours.

Clearly the condo's are being rented as if they were overnight hotel rooms. Finding a work permit violation seems like a lame excuse to step on toes. 

So why is Atlantis being centered out ? Opps forgot to make the brown envelope delivery ? ? ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

I love this. I love that they are rounding up all these disrespectful foreigners and shipping them out. If you want to live here, play by the rules like everywhere else otherwise <deleted> off.

By everyone do you include Thais or just the balance of farang. Not so sure the % of Thais that play by the ever changing rules ?

2 hours ago, kentrot said:

NCC1701A - I agree with you that it is illegal ,  and not fair to the hotels , when a condo is rented out as if it were a hotel room for overnight occupancy.

But if the BiB wish to check , on any given day they can go to pretty much all the new condo buildings in Jomtien and , at about 8:00 a.m. , witness the hordes of overnight, short-stay Chinese tourists boarding buses for their day tours.

Clearly the condo's are being rented as if they were overnight hotel rooms. Finding a work permit violation seems like a lame excuse to step on toes. 

So why is Atlantis being centered out ? Opps forgot to make the brown envelope delivery ? ? ? 

Likely someone at Atlantis got fed up.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lucjoker said:

And what of the "party houses"?

They open everywhere ,can be next your house .

Suddenly 50 or more people enter the house and make blasting noise for 2 or 3 days , non stop. You pay 5000bht a day and you can do what you want , neighbours can do nothing 

because police and mayor dont help you.

Had to sell my house .

Go on the web and see for your self .

The owners list their house as "home-stay" and you can do nothing .

Sure you can do something.  You can call the police and let close the party if they are out of the limmit 12:00pm or 01:00am!!!

If the police not come, call reporters and go together with they to the police.

I am sure you are surprised how well it will work!!!

Edited by snowgard

16 hours ago, johng said:

Yes that's correct  for a few days you need a hotel licence..

just one more thing in the long list bringing "happiness" back to "all" Thais.  :bah:

We found, in my building, that these short term renters were more disruptive and inconsiderate of the owners. This practice puts an added burden on staff is unfair to them. We found that the owners who were doing these rentals were not vetting. All they care about is the money. My home is not an hotel!

Good on them for doing something about it.

• Like 2

So a few seem to think it is ok for some to skirt the law by not being fully legal. This only hurts the hotels that comply to run a legal business.

Same thing here in Chiang Mai many not fully legal just take away from those who comply, the legal businesses have to put up with the inspectors, coming by to check your paper work. 

16 hours ago, andre47 said:

Police do nothing? Did you try? What's about the moo-baan-administration? Where did this happen?

Nong Palai, went to 3 meetings with the orbotor ,police ,army

But they did not act .

I spoke with the big army chief of Pattaya, he promised me to solve the matter.

1 time the army came in , took 25 party people with them( drugs) ,but not the owners.

When we phoned him up after , he did not have time for us anymore......because "he became friend with the owner of the partyhouse"............Well .....the only thing you can do is to take your loss and go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snowgard said:

Sure you can do something.  You can call the police and let close the party if they are out of the limmit 12:00pm or 01:00am!!!

If the police not come, call reporters and go together with they to the police.

I am sure you are surprised how well it will work!!!

Those party-houses make a lot of money, up to 500 000 bht /month.......this is 

enough to bribe you out of anything .They all take a piece of the pie ,if neccessary the press too.

Surely a licence check is made at the time of  purchase or transfer of properties?

Maybe it's different over here...

ie you can open/run an establishment without any checks being made either safety or otherwise by a government official?

HOw on earth can a huge hotel like Jomtien Thani operate without a license ? Not like it’s a small place hidden away in a back street. The authorities should pull up their socks and do some serious controls. If they don’t even know that these hotels  exist, then what about the safety rules, kitchens,hygiene , fire escapes etc ? Disgusting. 

• Like 2

An off topic post has been removed, this topic is about:

Seven Pattaya hotel operators - four foreigners - taken in by police for not having licences

If you want to know about visas and such suggest post a new topic in the Visa forum, thank you.

In our Mooban,there are 3 large houses rented to Chinese who then 

operate them as small hotels for visitors from China, and i have heard

that there are quite a few more around Chiang Mai.

regards Worgeordie

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

In our Mooban,there are 3 large houses rented to Chinese who then 

operate them as small hotels for visitors from China

Do they have a licence? Maybe somebody should check this. :post-4641-1156693976:

3 hours ago, andre47 said:

Do they have a licence? Maybe somebody should check this. :post-4641-1156693976:

Dunno about Thailand specifically, but usually condo owners are allowed by the rules to let their friends & family use their condo rent-free as often as they like, with the owner not needing to be there, no minimum stay required and no license required. If there's rent paid under table direct to the owner because the friends weren't quite as close as family it's very difficult to prevent. They only way it can be proven is if there is advertising. And if a foreign owner is just advertising their condo for rent in a foreign publication, especially without too many identifying details, they'll fly under the radar. For houses it's even easier.

A Jomtien house owner from, say, Shanghai, can probably find enough renters just by advertising in a Shanghai newspaper in Chinese. For example, a simple text ad: "House in Jomtien, sleeps 8, 200 meters from the beach, price, email [email protected] for more info." I don't see how that sort of thing can be stopped.

Edited by jerry921
lol, it was a fake email that got protected

9 hours ago, andre47 said:

I very much doubt it,in fact 100 % sure they don't,but nothing to do

with me,mind my own business. 

regards worgeordie

6 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Dunno about Thailand specifically, but usually condo owners are allowed by the rules to let their friends & family use their condo rent-free as often as they like, with the owner not needing to be there, no minimum stay required and no license required. If there's rent paid under table direct to the owner because the friends weren't quite as close as family it's very difficult to prevent. They only way it can be proven is if there is advertising. And if a foreign owner is just advertising their condo for rent in a foreign publication, especially without too many identifying details, they'll fly under the radar. For houses it's even easier.

Yes you are right, hard to control that sort of rental. Many blocks control it by controlling access to common property like car park, lifts, gym etc. Each condo only gets 1-2 lift access cards, security screens new arrivals etc.

6 hours ago, jerry921 said:

A Jomtien house owner from, say, Shanghai, can probably find enough renters just by advertising in a Shanghai newspaper in Chinese. For example, a simple text ad: "House in Jomtien, sleeps 8, 200 meters from the beach, price, email [email protected] for more info." I don't see how that sort of thing can be stopped.

If this will happen in my neighborhood I will not accept. I will fight by all available means. 

it is an emmerging trend since years worldwide, that homes and apartments would be rent to holiday makers,millions and millions more each year.

this trend will not be stopped.

instead of making crackdowns, goverments have to think how to make things for this owners legal

ie.

1. issuing a document against fee, that this property is rentable to tourist (standards)

2. introducing a flat tax or simmilar

many countrys done this already

but saying illeagl without a choice to make it legal, is a no go

hounderttousands of apartments are sold inthai, under rthe perpective, that they can be rented out. 

who want to buy overpriced propertys, with no perspective of return, for 3 or 4 weeks holiday a year

• Like 1

19 hours ago, geisha said:

HOw on earth can a huge hotel like Jomtien Thani operate without a license ? Not like it’s a small place hidden away in a back street. The authorities should pull up their socks and do some serious controls. If they don’t even know that these hotels  exist, then what about the safety rules, kitchens,hygiene , fire escapes etc ? Disgusting. 

I was thinking that but having made the mistake of stopping there on a family vacation a few years back, I reckon the Jomtien Thani is a case of a cheap owner not renewing their license. It's a huge hotel but it's a run-down dump that focused on the Thai low-budget, group traveler (more than 5 people in a room on a weekend in Jomtien) and latterly the lower-end of the Chinese tour groups.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lapamita said:

instead of making crackdowns, governments have to think how to make things for this owners legal

but saying illegal without a choice to make it legal, is a no go

why? It was already illegal when the condo was bought

A condo does not fulfill all necessary regulations like a hotel. 

hounderttousands of apartments are sold inthai, under rthe perpective, that they can be rented out. 

who want to buy overpriced property's, with no perspective of return, for 3 or 4 weeks holiday a year

yes, they can be rented out...but like a condo (long term) and not like a hotel

If the condo is overpriced...why do you buy it?

If you buy it and you know that it is illegal to rent it out short term, why do you complain?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lapamita said:

it is an emmerging trend since years worldwide, that homes and apartments would be rent to holiday makers,millions and millions more each year.

this trend will not be stopped.

instead of making crackdowns, goverments have to think how to make things for this owners legal

ie.

1. issuing a document against fee, that this property is rentable to tourist (standards)

2. introducing a flat tax or simmilar

many countrys done this already

but saying illeagl without a choice to make it legal, is a no go

who want to buy overpriced propertys, with no perspective of return, for 3 or 4 weeks holiday a year

Nobody is being prevented from renting his or her condo--just not short-term.   For many good and important reasons, already spelled out many times in this forum, short-term rentals should be left to hotels, guesthouses, inns, and the like. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, newnative said:

Nobody is being prevented from renting his or her condo--just not short-term.   For many good and important reasons, already spelled out many times in this forum, short-term rentals should be left to hotels, guesthouses, inns, and the like. 

That really is a matter of perspective and I can quite understand owners objections. 

The first week in February, high season?, I rented a condo in Hua Hin for 3 days through Airbnb. There must have been around 200 condos in the complex and I doubt if I saw more that around 25 people in the time we were there. The majority were 2 large Asian families, possibly Korean, rest were a mixture of Europeans that appeared to be on holiday. The complex had a bar which was shut up and obviously been shut up for some time. There was also a gym, and the same few faces appeared a few times a day.

Big problem for the condo owners, what do they do, object to the holiday makers and see the revenue disappear and possibly face much higher management fees.

Strikes me that there is a case for some complexes getting a temporary licence for a certain amount of short term lets. It should be borne in mind that some people, even on a short term basis, enjoy the facilities of a residential property.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That really is a matter of perspective and I can quite understand owners objections. 

The first week in February, high season?, I rented a condo in Hua Hin for 3 days through Airbnb. There must have been around 200 condos in the complex and I doubt if I saw more that around 25 people in the time we were there. The majority were 2 large Asian families, possibly Korean, rest were a mixture of Europeans that appeared to be on holiday. The complex had a bar which was shut up and obviously been shut up for some time. There was also a gym, and the same few faces appeared a few times a day.

Big problem for the condo owners, what do they do, object to the holiday makers and see the revenue disappear and possibly face much higher management fees.

Strikes me that there is a case for some complexes getting a temporary licence for a certain amount of short term lets. It should be borne in mind that some people, even on a short term basis, enjoy the facilities of a residential property.

Short term renters do nothing for the condos. They do not pay maintenance fees. They are a drain on the condo resources. Also, what you did was illegal.

• Like 2