Property seizure

Hi all. If this is in the wrong area please move. I have a question regarding property seizure in Thailand. Situation is a thai friend has had a property seizure in his case is money as he doesn’t own house. Problem is a few weeks before i put some euros in his bank safety deposit box. I have proof I have taken the money out of my account a few weeks before plus it’s euros and not thai baht is the any chance o me getting it back? Only serious answers please thanks 

Edited by RhThailand
Spelling

A receipt from whom?  Unless your friend agrees to return the cash on a voluntary basis you will have to resort to legal means but there will be no guarantee - even if you obtain a favorable Judgement,  that the cash will be returned.

• Like 1

A receipt from whom?  Unless your friend agrees to return the cash on a voluntary basis you will have to resort to legal means but there will be no guarantee - even if you obtain a favorable Judgement,  that the cash will be returned.

Receipt from the bank showing him putting euros into the safety deposit box. I understand that because HE has put it in his account they will just use that as it’s his money right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, RhThailand said:

He said because the box is linked to his account ( you need a bank account to use a box) they have took everything that’s linked to the account including euros.

Oh ?, never heard of that before, he is going to have a problem convincing people that it is his money in someone else's box/account and was not a payment for something

to the OP

Might sound like a stupid question but is it your friend just telling you this has happened or do you have definitive proof that this seizure actually took place and remember that paperwork can be made up and official looking people might not be official at all, very easy to stage this whole event

I remember the story of a guy that thought he bought a pig farm when in actual fact his girlfriends family already owned it, he shoveled pig shit for a year thinking it was his farm and then he found out it wasn't when she dumped him lol

Not seen any proof. I do have some suspicions that something isn’t right. But I would need him to go to a bank and show me but I don’t speak or read thai so he could show me literally anything. Do you think a visit to the police would help?

• Like 1

how much money are we talking about ?

A good lawyer might be more productive and then the police if he uncovers anything, but at the end of the day it depends how much money is involved and even if there is some wrong doing I doubt you will ever see your money again no matter what

A  lesson learned perhaps

I would never even let a lawyer here handle money, yes they can do all the paperwork etc etc but when it comes to actual money exchange for say a business house or condo............no way, straight to me from a buyer - too many horror stories 

2000€

30 minutes ago, RhThailand said:

2000€

hardly worth it mate

but I would shake the tree a little and see what pops out.........confront the guy

might be worth going to the bank involved and talking with the manager explaining the situation or if you know any cops slip them a few 1000baht to go with you

you sound like a decent trustworthy person - not everyone is the same - sorry for your loss

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

One more thing 

Your friend must of known this concern may happen

They just don't go & get a court order in the morning & then strip your bank account the same day 

What's the lesson here, don't do things like this, do things with some common sense  using your brain.

Forget the money.

You are just an Atm

Your friend know foreigner are not allowed to lent to thai

You have a document signed by him and you and 4 witnesses. You have a small change to get it back.

In court you probably not granted because your are foreigner and if granted you still have long way to go and collect. And only the court and lawyers are happy. They get paid.

Be a wise man and see this as a lession.

just forget the money.

He said because the box is linked to his account ( you need a bank account to use a box) they have took everything that’s linked to the account including euros.

That sounds like exactly the sort of thing someone would say who wants to keep some Euros that someone else put in his safety box.

I dont think you have any idea of the true extent of fraud and deceit here. And the excuses are as endless as they are ridiculous.

I used to have safety box in the UK with my bank. The only link was it flagged up next to my account was that I had one for whenever I required access to it. The comings and goings of the said box was never the banks business. I paid for having that security box and they had no idea what was in it.They opened the box with a key. Inside was another box with my padlock on it to which they had no key.

It would be unusual in my view that they would then give receipts at the bank as bank staff should not have access to the box as that defeats the object of the exercise, likewise, if it was ' linked to an account ' the point of having a box would be wasted.

I think you are being ' had over ' or as they say ' taken for a ride '

I am sorry but I think, based on the information you have given,  he is conning you out of your money.

As another poster said, seizures don't happen the same day. These court actions are very slow and the Thais are very cunning.

The Thai guy would have drained his accounts and anywhere he had cash, a  long time ago,if he thought somebody was coming with a legal claim to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm reminded of what Alan Bond, a now deceased businessman known as the "shareholders friend" once said. Went to jail for fraud. Quote: " If you owe a bank a million dollars, you have a problem. If you owe the bank 100 million dollars, the bank has a problem".

I'd suggest the OP is about to find out how honest his friend is.

• Like 1