Doctors issue durian warning! Too much of the "King of Fruits" might not be good for you.

snoop1130

Doctors issue durian warning! Too much of the "King of Fruits" might not be good for you.

31072842_1444847608953260_6818315974593216512_n-780x405.jpg

As durian fever sweeps Thailand with the fruit flooding markets both here and in places like China, comes a warning from Thai doctors.

The department of public health has said that you should not overdo your durian intake.

They said that eating the flesh surrounding two kernels each day is more than enough.

But that is just for healthy people - for those suffering from chronic conditions the advice was stronger.

Those with diabetes, kidney problems, high blood pressure and heart disease should certainly not eat durian every day, said the medical professionals.

Durian is often referred to as the "King of Fruits" and recently 80,000 of the expensive fruits were sold in one minute in China on Alibaba.

With the average portion in Thailand costing about 100 baht it is unlikely that many people will eat it every day, however.

Even though many agree that it is the most heavenly taste on earth.

Source: https://www.innnews.co.th/breaking-news/news_70188/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-27

I think if you did eat a lot you wouldn't 'need' to eat anything else.  It's caloried up to 'f'.  My missus is a Durian addict and is constantly seeking the company of others who are the same.  The rest are on the opposite side of the rai not breathing through their nose. 

If I were an enterprising soul I'd notice that the whole fruit is very bad value for money per Kg, and that pre-packed starts to oxidise (smell) and package it in such a way (the right gas rather than air) as to keep all campers happy.

Then again, I hear constantly that "som tam no good" - how can that be?  Surely people would make a product that people like if they want to thrive(?).  Same for Jok.  Maybe it's a Guinness vs Miller Light kind of thing...

Okay, time to get off my grumpy ass and do something useful (that will not include local wisdom as a condition of success).

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Those with diabetes, kidney problems, high blood pressure and heart disease should certainly not eat durian every day, said the medical professionals.

Probably because they eat durian every day, they have these problems !!

Good luck telling them not to eat it though, in fact good luck telling them anything....

Personally, I love a bit of durian.. Not everyday but :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Are these the same doctors who claimed that paraquat, aka Agent Orange, was a safe farming chemical?

Slight correction. Are you sure Glyphosphate, aka Roundup, contains agent orange?

The defoliant used in the Vietnam war was a mixture of herbicides plus a contaminant.

Quote:  "Definition of Agent Orange. : an herbicide widely used as a defoliant in the Vietnam War that is composed of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T and contains dioxin as a contaminant.

7 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

But you doo have to agree that it looks and smells pretty much the same going in as coming out... :coffee1:

What to answer to such a poetic comment, and well worthy of the precedent by the way...well nothing!?

• Haha 1

Too much of anything isn't good for you.  However, durian is both expensive and seasonal.  For most citizens, it's pretty much self regulating.   For those who can afford to overindulge?  Well, obesity and diabetes are call the diseases of kings for a reason.  And now in this debt-fueled world, many of the citizenry can eat like kings.  So the key point is basically - Moderate!  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, masuk said:

Slight correction. Are you sure Glyphosphate, aka Roundup, contains agent orange?

The defoliant used in the Vietnam war was a mixture of herbicides plus a contaminant.

Quote:  "Definition of Agent Orange. : an herbicide widely used as a defoliant in the Vietnam War that is composed of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T and contains dioxin as a contaminant.

Slight correction also. For the record I didn't say or imply "Glyphosphate, aka Roundup, contains agent orange". I don't know where you dreamt that up from. 

The original story to which I was referring to was the doctors claiming that paraquat was a safe chemical to use for agricultural use. Paraquat was one of the chemicals used by the Americans in their Agent Orange defoliant. Agent Orange was a cocktail of chemicals including paraquat, 2,4-D and 2,4-5-T. It was concocted before Roundup was invented. Please try to keep up with the flow of the stories.

To bring you up-to-date here is the original story about paraquat.

And here is a story linking paraquat to Agent Orange. Please carefully read the first paragraph of the story.

http://panap.net/2017/02/pan-vietnam-welcomes-the-ban-of-paraquat-and-24-d/

Edited by Cadbury

Why they try so hard to destroy local 'produce' industry? Unless this regular Report is timed to occur when it is the imported stuff from Malaysia?  

Or they paid the wrong Dr... 

Edited by tifino

According to New Scientist, scientists at Japan’s University of Tsukuba recently discovered that durian makes it much more difficult for the human body to break down alcohol. In a test tube, they combined fresh durian extract with aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), the enzyme that functions as the liver’s main weapon against the toxic byproducts of alcohol metabolism. The durian—probably because of its high sulfur content—nearly knocked out the ALDH enzyme, inhibiting it by up to 70 percent. (Or maybe the enzyme just couldn’t stand the smell, either.)

Ate a whole fruit almost daily during Durian season, about April to July for 30 years.The more often you eat the more you like it:The first time I put a piece in my mouth I spat it out.

After about 6 takes I was addicted.

What cured me of my addiction was the rapid prices rises during the last decade, shooting up like no other food item, which, I was told, was due to increasing affluence of the Chinese buying up most of the harvest.

Always had it for and instead of breakfast or lunch, so I would be able to drink alcohol in the evening.It is certainly more nutritious than the average western breakfast.

Hardly news worthy? I was told as below in 1980 when I first tried Durian in Singapore.

"I learned that durian is considered in Eastern medicinal traditions to be an extremely “hot” food, i.e., it falls into the “yang” side of the “yin-yang” balance. For this reason, it is strongly recommended that durian eaters avoid other “yang-y” foods, especially alcohol.”

(C&P from another website)

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Hardly news worthy? I was told as below in 1980 when I first tried Durian in Singapore.

"I learned that durian is considered in Eastern medicinal traditions to be an extremely “hot” food, i.e., it falls into the “yang” side of the “yin-yang” balance. For this reason, it is strongly recommended that durian eaters avoid other “yang-y” foods, especially alcohol.”

(C&P from another website)

Are you sure that this is not an old Thai wives tale. I drink beer every day but the wife says cannot eat durian and have beer. It happens that she is addicted to durian so if I eat it there is less for her.

8 hours ago, connda said:

Too much of anything isn't good for you.  However, durian is both expensive and seasonal.  For most citizens, it's pretty much self regulating.   For those who can afford to overindulge?  Well, obesity and diabetes are call the diseases of kings for a reason.  And now in this debt-fueled world, many of the citizenry can eat like kings.  So the key point is basically - Moderate!  :thumbsup:

Durian used to be seasonal.  There is a new foliar spray that allows it to be harvested all year long now.  i was reading about it several weeks ago.  It's Illegal in most places and highly toxic.

22 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Are you sure that this is not an old Thai wives tale. I drink beer every day but the wife says cannot eat durian and have beer. It happens that she is addicted to durian so if I eat it there is less for her.

Go for it, if you think it is an "old (Thai) wives tale, drink beer and eat durian to your hearts content! report back - if your able to.....................:shock1:

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Go for it, if you think it is an "old (Thai) wives tale, drink beer and eat durian to your hearts content! report back - if your able to.....................:shock1:

Go for it!!!