Questions About Qualifications

Hi Everyone

Am returning with my girlfriend to Thailand in the coming months and require some unbiased - ( if possible ) information on TEFL Schools.

I have been an ESOL Administrator for the last 12 months and want to learn to teach and do some teaching to supplement my money.

The question I have is, can people reccommend TEFL schools that they have attended in the last say 2 years and pass on information like how proffesional the schools are, the type of school, and importantly how smooth is the transition from being in the class to actually getting a job.

Although we are moving back to Bangkok I am happy to relocate to other parts of thailand to do the course if the school is reccomended and also easy to get a job after.

I dont possess a degree and am told this will impact on my job prospects. - but to be honest am not looking at it as a career, more to help and earn some money.

Also it would be useful if people suggested places to avoid - as this also helps to make my decision - as they all seem to advertise the earth and guarrantee work which am sure is not always the case.

I also assume that getting work in places like Phuket and other touristy areas is difficult - compared to say bangkok?

Many thanks in advance for your input and all information will be appreciated

Regards

Dave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, and welcome.

I am admittedly biased in favor of our sponsors, whom you will find listed in the banners atop the teaching forum, above.

So iterms of your sponsors the questions I posed would be the same

1. where is a good place to do the TEFL Course and why - lenght of course feedback etc

2. Types of employment i may expect to get given that I dont possess a Degree, which TEFL schools provide the best help in aquiring employment

3. Areas in the country best suited to do course and employment

4 what kind of money would i be looking at

Bastian, we apologize for overlooking your earlier post that was merged with these other posts.

You have at least three major strikes against you. But this is not baseball, so you have not "struck out." :o

You are not a native speaker of English. You have not finished a university degree. You live in a remote part of Thailand. You have no teaching experience.

I cannot recommend Paradise TEFL because I had never heard of them, their director does not appear to have TEFL-DELTA experience or certification, and Chiang Mai has programs sponsored by our teaching forum, which I can recommend.

But you are stuck in Thailand, maybe outside of Chiang Rai, with a wife and child, and you need work. I suggest you get trained in a good 120-hour etc. course, and apply for jobs. The new school year starts in May. Good luck.

Hello.

I am a 21 year old scottish guy considering moving to thailand to teach english. I have been a few times and fallen in love with the culture and enviroment. I preferably would like to say somewere in the north close to chaing rai.

I have no prior teaching experience and no degrees, but i do have some school grades and a diploma in in a unrealated subject.

I have a few queries and questions...

I have been researching into doing a Tefl course in thailand, but have found many associations advertising near enough the same things...does any body have any recommendations on which company to chose? In the north would be ideal.

Obvoiusly being a native speaker of english my english isn't bad, but my grammar and spelling is okay but isn't the greatest....could this be a problem?

Is it hard to get work? I am not fussed about hi-earning, just enough to get by, living basically and little more will do.

What is the average workload like? I understand most thai people only take a few days off a month, is this the same for farrang? and how flexiable are the contracts?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt.

Hello.

I am a 21 year old scottish guy considering moving to thailand to teach english. I have been a few times and fallen in love with the culture and enviroment. I preferably would like to say somewere in the north close to chaing rai.

I have no prior teaching experience and no degrees, but i do have some school grades and a diploma in in a unrealated subject.

A guy teaching in Chiang Rai with a similar background to yours, recently posted on this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Young-Puttin...25&start=25

Post 43

You could pm him to ask about his experiences

I am living in Pattaya and will be starting a 6 week TEFL course with Text and Talk on Monday. From the sounds of things I should be able to find a teaching job even though I have no degree but I was wondering if anyone had some idea of what I can expect for opportunities in Pattaya.

I seem to live pretty comfortably on about 35,000 a month - is that a reasonable expectation for salary here in Pattaya? Any idea what I should budget for "deductions like takes/insurance when/if I am offered a salary?

Would also be great if someone could point me in the right direction for good schools to work with.

Thanks so much!

As far as TEFL classes in the north, I visited SEE TEFL and TEFL International (Chiang Mai University) in Chiang Mai and have enrolled in the SEE March class. The course director at TEFL Int'l appeared to only meet with me as a formality (made appointment over the internet) seemed disinterested, and wasn't very helpful in answering my questions. In contrast, the lead instructor at SEE was helpful, interested, and answered all my questions. Of course I chose SEE and I'm looking forward to the course.

FYI - I've no classroom teaching experience but do hold a non-education Bachelors degree and have a job lined up in my wife's and mine Thai hometown.

Regards

A scottish guy, teaching English... :o

Oh, we got teachers who teach in Geordie and Brummie, 'cause that's all they can speak. Thai kids go home and say things like

"Mutha , what hev wi got canny good te eat?"

"Ye knaa what ah mean leik."

"Gan canny or we'll dunsh summick!"

So, no problem.

Blah blah blah, boring regional stereotypes. Not even dressed up in any humour. How unoriginal and dull. Once you've got over the sheer hilarity of someone coming from a place with dialects and accents (don't we all?) you should ask one of these Geordies or Brummies to evaluate your own style of speech.

you should ask one of these Geordies or Brummies to evaluate your own style of speech.

But you know quite well what the results of that evaluation would inevitably be, even--or perhaps especially--if I spoke the best Standard English with pure Received Pronunciation. Brits actually take great pride in their regional dialects. Are they somehow wrapped up with footy teams? But I speculate.

Hi there,

I am English, living in the UK and am 30 years old. My girlfriend has secured a teaching job at an international school in Thailand - with work permit, flights, etc, all paid for by the school. We are looking to move abroad to do the things we won't be able to do when we start a family...which should be pretty soon!

I, on the other hand, am currently doing a TEFL course to find an ESL job out there. Ideally I would be looking to further my career in people management within a customer service environment, however, I am finding that more and more people on the net are saying that if you don't have a bachelor's degree (which I unfortunately don't) then you should forget getting ANY job in Thailand, TEFL or whatever.

I have a certificate of higher education and 3 A-Levels, one of them in English Language. I have been a team leader in a customer services department for almost a year managing 5 staff, having worked there for almost three. I am also currently obtaining an EDI Certificate in Business Management Level 2.

Obviously its harder in any country to compete against someone with a degree, but with my rather minimal qualifications/experience above would I be able to find any jobs at all in Thailand? Understand the competition is rife. I am looking to get a non immigrant multiple entry visa so I can search while I am there.

Please tell me my glasses aren't too 'rose tinted' and I need you to be brutally honest.

Thanks,

Rocketlad78

Hi there,

I am English, living in the UK and am 30 years old. My girlfriend has secured a teaching job at an international school in Thailand - with work permit, flights, etc, all paid for by the school. We are looking to move abroad to do the things we won't be able to do when we start a family...which should be pretty soon!

I, on the other hand, am currently doing a TEFL course to find an ESL job out there. Ideally I would be looking to further my career in people management within a customer service environment, however, I am finding that more and more people on the net are saying that if you don't have a bachelor's degree (which I unfortunately don't) then you should forget getting ANY job in Thailand, TEFL or whatever.

I have a certificate of higher education and 3 A-Levels, one of them in English Language. I have been a team leader in a customer services department for almost a year managing 5 staff, having worked there for almost three. I am also currently obtaining an EDI Certificate in Business Management Level 2.

Obviously its harder in any country to compete against someone with a degree, but with my rather minimal qualifications/experience above would I be able to find any jobs at all in Thailand? Understand the competition is rife. I am looking to get a non immigrant multiple entry visa so I can search while I am there.

Please tell me my glasses aren't too 'rose tinted' and I need you to be brutally honest.

Thanks,

Rocketlad78

Hi Rocketlad78,

From my limited experience of living here now I think that Thailand is a country where you don't have many options without a degree whether a Thai or foreigner, they seem to think that anyone without a degree is only worthy of working in 7/11 or taking the local buffalo out for a walk. My background is very similar to yourself, I was actually doing a degree but after x2 years I got offered a good job with the same salary & potential to 'climb the ladder' that I would have received if I had completed the full x4 years! So I accepted the offer and left with only a 2yr Diploma. In the company I worked at, like many others in the UK but unlike here, people are not always employed just because they have a degree. If the degree is relative to the work you will be doing then that is different but that is not often the case back home or over here with many people working as English teachers and only being able to do so because they have a degree. And in the majority of cases that degree is in a subject that has nothing to do with English or education.

I applied for jobs within the company I worked at in the UK and was often more successful than those who had a degree. I also had people working for me who had degrees which would never happen here, if you don't have a degree you are treated very differently and not given a chance to prove what you can do. And don't forget that this is Thailand, many students pass who should have failed which makes it even more laughable.

So overall I would say you would need a degree as it is a requirement at most schools now but I am teaching with only a diploma and a TEFL but I honestly think I have been lucky as I am working at a private school where they have a little bit more say in who they hire than government schools and they are more concerned with a teachers ability to teach, not just whether you have a degree or not. The x2 English teachers before me both had degrees but the director has told me is happier with my teaching ability and relationship with the students than he was with either of the previous x2. I think most people will say don't come without a degree which is good advice as you will find it harder to find work, but not impossible. Good luck, hope it all goes well for you.

I am half way through my degree in BA Science. I have my advanced TESOL diploma and i move to Thailand in 10 days. I am trying to find a job, but i'm worried that i wont be able to because i haven't finished my degree.

Can anyone help me out with some information on this. I've studied so hard to become a teacher of English and now i'm really worried i wont get a job.

Carla

I am half way through my degree in BA Science. I have my advanced TESOL diploma and i move to Thailand in 10 days. I am trying to find a job, but i'm worried that i wont be able to because i haven't finished my degree.

Can anyone help me out with some information on this. I've studied so hard to become a teacher of English and now i'm really worried i wont get a job.

Carla

Some schools will take you without having a degree BUT BEWARE if you are caught teaching without one,its a hefty fine & deportation.

Carla

Some schools will take you without having a degree BUT BEWARE if you are caught teaching without one,its a hefty fine & deportation.

You will not be fined and deported if you do not have a degree. You will be fined and deported if you do not have a Work Permit.

Hi Everyone. this is my first post so HELLO to all.

I am about to send an application for teacher of music at Bromsgrove Int. School, Bangkok. The school follows the UK curriculum and term dates - the job is to start in Sept 09.

I have a BA (Hons) degree and a PGCE from Manchester Uni. I am currently head of music at a high school in leeds. im 24.

I am really worried that i might be applying for a job that pays less than i currently earn. I am reluctant to ask the school just yet and it doesnt say on the job spec. Am i qualified enough and what kind of salary could i expect (roughly). Im not particularly in it for the money, but will still have particular outgoings in the UK.

Kind regards,

tracey

Hi Everyone. this is my first post so HELLO to all.

I am about to send an application for teacher of music at Bromsgrove Int. School, Bangkok. The school follows the UK curriculum and term dates - the job is to start in Sept 09.

I have a BA (Hons) degree and a PGCE from Manchester Uni. I am currently head of music at a high school in leeds. im 24.

I am really worried that i might be applying for a job that pays less than i currently earn. I am reluctant to ask the school just yet and it doesnt say on the job spec. Am i qualified enough and what kind of salary could i expect (roughly). Im not particularly in it for the money, but will still have particular outgoings in the UK.

Kind regards,

tracey

Hi Tracey and welcome.

Bromsgrove is certainly one of the top International Schools in Bangkok and is very professionally managed.

I would expect that you would be looking at around 100,000 -110,000 baht a month if you are accepted. (Competition is fierce).

You can expect to receive on-campus accommodation including all utilities free, or a substantial housing allowance plus many other perks.

As a newbie Brit I believe you will not have to pay taxes for either 18-24 months.

Plenty of opportunities for professional development.

All told.............you should make around 2,000 UK pounds per month (plus housing) at current exchange rates. A large majority of that will go into your savings.....unless you are a wild party animal. Cost of living is CHEAP compared to the UK. I used to do pretty good with local food every day for around 3-4 UK pounds......daily.

I may be a little out with the salary I have given you (not by much though) as I previously worked at Shrewsbury International in Bangkok. Very similar school.

Go for it Tracey..............you won,t regret it if you are successful.

Hello everyone!

My name is Vladimir. I've been reading this forum for some time now but it's my first post here.

I have red this topic but still want to ask a question.

I am

- 39 y.o. Ukrainian national with Russian as a native tongue.

- I have M.Sc. 6-years degree (math and physics) in Moscow Institute of Physics and Tecnology in 1993.

- I recently tested my English at Level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) but did not get any sertificate yet.

- I have no degree in Education.

Questions are

- Is it necessary to get some kind of International Sertificate to confirm the "level of my English".

- Is the absence of a degree in Education a real problem for obtaining WP?

Is it real to find a job of a Math teacher in good school with all above mentioned given data?

Thank you in advance for all your opinions.