Questions About Qualifications

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know if a CELTA qualification is more useful than a TEFL?

I am in the process of applying to do a CELTA with the goal of teaching English in Thailand, but would consider a TEFL instead as it is cheaper

In the UK, CELTA is king. Here, if Thais have even heard of it, CELTA is only an adult TEFL cert.

Hey folks,

As this is a "what are the chances" post, I'd like to have some of your advice and insights on the following:

I am a forty year old German, just finished with my coursework (above 90%) at National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan (second best comprehensive uni here) towards a PhD in International Management with double major in (a) international marketing and (B) IT and strategic management, as well as a further interdisciplinary focus on international laws, human security (UNDP), sustainable development in SEA and intercultural management.

I further hold (the German equivalent) to a MA in Technical Business Administration and a BSc in Automotive Technology.

I have 10 years part-time lecturing experience at the corporate academy of Germany's largest automobile manufacturer (as part of managerial duties) and have accumulated 2,5 years of teaching English and German here in Taiwan as well as lecturing special topics at colleges and universities. The last years are difficult to document;they were paid in an envelope...

With your combined experience, how would you estimate my chances of getting a decent teaching (special topics rather than languages) or university/college lecturing position?

I remember when my wife applied for a position at CMU's English department last year, they offered around 19K + 8K for housing.

Are these still the going rates at univeristies?

Do lecturers on other topics receive different (higher) salaries?

I don't have a TESOL certificate. I grew up in the US (Maryland); finished high school there. I had to take a TOIEC to apply for NCKU, which I passed with 990/1000 (now that really p*ssed me).

Would a TESOL really make a difference for the kind of job I am looking for?

Here in Taiwan the economic crisis has strongly affected foreign teachers and lecturers. The government is working out new regulations on regular basis (i.e. foreigners cannot teach at colleges/universities without PhDs anymore).

How do you see the development in LOS?

Hence, I would rather commit myself outside of BKK since (a) I've already lived there for some time and (B) the northern region would bring me closer to my research work, but could live with it if necessary.

Your comments are highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Tom

Well, if you can find a university to hire you for teaching marketing, management, IT, etc.- the topics you have some qualifications in- then you'll be ok. There are other pay scales for some subject expert teaching, but it is not consistent from university to university- you'll need to do some hunting around.

[experts on this site do not do evaluations of other websites - IJWT]

I am giving up on finding a TESOL/TEFL undergraduate distance degree that I could afford on a low Thai salary therefore I am going for a TEFL diploma to start with. I have sent an enquiry application but I would like to have your opinion before making any decision.

Thanks in advance :)

There is no real way to 'evalutate' TEFL courses- there is no authority to set standards or, as far as I know, any particular course that excludes you completely from working somehow, somewhere- and we don't do it on this thread anyway. I suggest you shop around, look at various options thinking of price, location, and other factors, and of course, check out our sponsors (see the advert banners).

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the advice guys, and I will lay off the !!! from now on. Well ive lived in Thailand for 1 year already, however im now back in the UK and I really love LOS, and yes I like the city life but im not sure if my teaching capabilities will be enough to cope with Bangkok, however I have a small problem, my girlfriend is in her final year at university in Bangkok and I told her last night that it might be better for me to teach in northern Thailand, She went crazy..........she said if I could learn her English and get her top grades, why cant I teach in Bangkok......so I just told her I have no formal EXPERIENCE and she just went off her head :) ......So you good "ajarns" out there... should I just hit the fire? and teach in Bangkok straight away? I dont mind 25000 baht a month from a school as my g/f has already got me a few privates lined up. But I still feel scared because I dont know if im teaching in the correct way........ so if any of you teachers on this board who are willing to let me observe you teach for a week " I will buy you quite a few beers for your efforts" I would be really grateful :D and also I know im not a teacher yet... but iam willing to learn and I really want to do this and it has nothing to do with that I have a g/f in Bangkok.......I just want to teach in country which I love. Thanks Guys

I have never taught English in my life, and i have no teaching qualifications, but that didn't stop me finding a teaching job in Bangkok with relative ease. Actually, i didn't even look for it, it came to me. I have just started and it is paying 33K which is quite ok for now because i am mainly in it for the experience at this stage.

I had many of the same reservations as yourself but in the end i decided to have a crack and i think it was the right decision. I have just done the 2 classes to date but i am thoroughly enjoying it. I guess other more experience people can confirm this but i would assume that you would start off teaching youngsters from about the ages of 6-12, given your lack of experience. I know this is how it worked out for me and i am thankful for that. I think a fair bit of experience and skill is needed to start teaching 16 year olds grammar and the likes.

My advice to you would be to throw yourself into it in Bangkok. Let's face it, you are not going to be happy all on your own, away from your gf and nor will she. You might even find that the job you land is on the outskirts of bkk so it might not be as daunting as you think.

Good luck.

Well, to answer my own question, in central Bangkok you can do pretty well- 45-50K or more, especially if you're willing to teach non-English subjects to Prathom in private schools or in EP programs. Math and science are especially in demand. Health and PE teachers are less often in demand, but the supply is also short. Even in the sticks fairly far out, you can make 40K, though really they should be paying you more for agreeing to live so far out. Don't think that you can ONLY teach English in Thailand; quite often it's the OTHER subjects that will pay the best! At the moment, there is no strictly enforced requirement for education degrees, as the MOE has apparently realized such a requirement is unrealistic given the conditions on the ground.

"Steven"

I think it's time for me to get serious and ask the dreaded question: Am I too old to teach in Thailand? I've been looking for a few weeks, and from what I read here (and in other forums), it should not be so hard. I am new to the whole idea of working overseas, but I don't think naive. I'm 60. Twice now I've been corresponding with Human Resource dept., and right after I sent my photo/ passport I get a response that they've gone with someone else. I don't have 2 heads, really! Iam in the states, however and it's quite late in the year (I'd like to teach at an international school, since I have a state issued teaching credential for elementary grades). I'm tempted to go ahead and go over and then look. Schools hire again around November? What am I doing wrong? Waaah!!

The break is in October and you might want to be 'on the ground' at that time. Our school hires people 60+, but the Director usually makes some remark about the age (although she's no spring chicken herself). If you have a teaching credential that should cancel out the age thing for a lot of places.

Best of luck.

can you legally teach on a non immo visa from Hull without any sort of degree, only a CELTA and experience. Is it possible to obtain a W.P?? If so how would a boss of teacher working for an agency go about doing this??

Hopefully, a few people will post some useful information. You can get a teaching job, with a non-immigrant. It should be a non-immigrant B visa (not a retirement visa). The school will have to process the papers for the Work Permit. They should know how to do this.

Best of luck to you.

Some schools can't hire you without a degree (and get a WP). Some schools won't hire you withour a degree. Some schools will and can hire you without a degree. You may find the competition a little tough in the larger cities, but in the more rural areas you will likely not encounter a problem.

I don't know of any schools that hire people from overseas without a degree, but if you are here and interviewing you shouldn't have too many problems. Be prepared to do a fair amount of running around and checking on different schools.

At this point in time, a degree is not required.

Hi,

I've been researching various schools/TEFL certificates in Thailand over the past year. I've just stumbled across this site and thought I would ask for some honest advice.

I'm 28 and currently half way through completing my BA in Communications through Open Universities Australia online. I've worked in the Hospitality industry as a Duty Manager for 5 years and recently quit to focus on completing my studies. If all goes according to plan I will finish my BA around this time next year, making it about 2 years completion time for a standard 3 year degree. Will this be frowned upon by potential employers, given I have finished my degree quicker than someone who attends a University?

Last time I was in Bangkok I visited "Text and Talk Academy" and asked a few questions regarding TEFL certificates. The school seemed nice and the staff professional, but I cant help but think promises made such as "guaranteed employment" were just marketing spin. Does anyone have any experience dealing with these guys and advice? Is a certificate alone sufficient to find employment and are these recognised worldwide (eg. Japan, China)?

For my degree I'm focusing mainly on film studies and my final year classes are "drama screenwriting" and "documentary screenwriting" (completely irrelevant but I'm hoping I can film a short doco in Thailand as an assignment), but as electives I've completed a unit in "Asian Studies" and "Teaching, Education and Assessment". I'm hoping that these show employers I do have a genuine interest in the area.

Does anyone think I have a chance of finding decent work as a language teacher or should I be looking elsewhere?

I'm going to be travelling to Bangkok for about 7 nights in 2 weeks. Are there any places worth checking out for future employemt while I'm here or not bother?

Thanks

Converge81

If you have a degree, that is all you will need to find a wide-range of teaching jobs. You will not be eligible to teach in most of the international schools, however. A TEFL degree will help you in the classroom and gives valuable help. It may not help, but it will never hurt you. Guaranteeing employment sounds a little bit of an exaggeration, but these places often have contact with schools and can get you an inside track.

Recruiting for schools is a chore and a lot of schools don't have the time, resources or skills to do it, so anyone who comes around with teachers will get a positive reception.

It's not clear what you mean by a decent job, but if you want to PM me, I will be glad to share information about our school. This isn't a recruitment, but it will give you an idea of what you might expect. We are about mid-range salary wise. Working conditions vary from school to school.

Best of luck to you.

Hello,

Sorry for asking something that been answered so many times. The amount of information I have read in this thread completely got me a head ace.

1. I want to start teaching English. I do not have a degree. Is it possible to get a teaching job with a TEFL or TESOL certificate only?

2. Will an on-line certificate will be appreciated as well?

2. How well can earn from this job? I do not intend to teach in Bangkok and have no problem living in almost any location in Thailand.

3. I am not native speaking English. Is that something that will play against me?

4. I am married to Thai and have kids also and can speak a reasonable Thai.

5. Currently live in one of the Isan provinces, and have a bit of good connections that I yet spoken with (A man that for my understanding is the equivalent to the head of English teaching department in the province, An uncle who is the head of monks in the whole province (hope I haven't said that in an insulting way, and if so I'm sorry)).

Thanks for any help.

You could possibly find work 'somewhere' in Thailand but because you don't have a degree and you are not a native English speaker you will find it difficult. Being able to speak Thai probably won't help, If I ever speak Thai and my boss hears she gives me a clip round the ear, English only at all times!

Hello,

Sorry for asking something that been answered so many times. The amount of information I have read in this thread completely got me a head ace.

1. I want to start teaching English. I do not have a degree. Is it possible to get a teaching job with a TEFL or TESOL certificate only?

2. How well can earn from this job? I do not intend to teach in Bangkok and have no problem living in almost any location in Thailand.

3. I am not native speaking English. Is that something that will play against me?

5. Currently live in one of the Isan provinces, and have a bit of good connections that I yet spoken with (A man that for my understanding is the equivalent to the head of English teaching department in the province, An uncle who is the head of monks in the whole province (hope I haven't said that in an insulting way, and if so I'm sorry)).

Thanks for any help.

You could possibly find work 'somewhere' in Thailand but because you don't have a degree and you are not a native English speaker you will find it difficult. Being able to speak Thai probably won't help, If I ever speak Thai and my boss hears she gives me a clip round the ear, English only at all times!
Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Looking for just about the same info, anyone else can reply on that? skyblustu hardly answered the questions above (but thanks for willing to give what you know)

You can teach without a degree or a TEFL or other qualification. These are often appreciated and will never hurt you in seeking employment. Experience is valuable--more valuable than many qualifications. This is especially true in the more remote areas.

In BKK and the larger cities, some schools will want a Bachelor's degree and a few will require it. In the more remote areas, most places will be glad to have a non-degreed person.

If you aren't a native English speaker, you may be required to have an English language proficiency exam--such as the TOIEC. Not being a native speaker will play against you, but only if there is any competition that includes native speakers who are reasonably equipped to teach.

Knowing Thai will never hurt you, but most places want you to speak English. It's good to be able to understand what students are asking. A quick recommendation on this is that if they ask in Thai, you should answer in English. This will also depend on the age of students and the amount of support from a Thai teacher that you have.

Salary can be quite low. You may earn 20-30 baht. There are others who can probably give better information on this. (Better qualifications may mean more pay).

Connections may help you.

Keep us posted.

Hello,

Thanks for any help.

Looking for just about the same info, anyone else can reply on that? skyblustu hardly answered the questions above (but thanks for willing to give what you know)

Well if you researched a bit more on here you will soon see that these questions have been answered hundreds of times before, and with many different answers/opinions, so I didn't see the point in trying to answer each one as the next post will probably have a conflicting answer. You won't be able to make a decision from what you read on here anyway because of all the different answers you will receive, if you want to do it just come here and do it, maybe it will work out OK like it does for many people or maybe it won't!

But here's my answers anyway.

1) Yes but most ask for at least a BA Degree

2) Maybe

2) People earn anything from 20k - 60k+ working as teachers in Thailand. But outside of BKK you will probably earn less than in BKK.

3) Yes, most places ask for native English speakers.

4) No question to answer

5) No question to answer

Good luck to you both.

You can teach without a degree or a TEFL or other qualification. These are often appreciated and will never hurt you in seeking employment. Experience is valuable--more valuable than many qualifications. This is especially true in the more remote areas.

In BKK and the larger cities, some schools will want a Bachelor's degree and a few will require it. In the more remote areas, most places will be glad to have a non-degreed person.

If you aren't a native English speaker, you may be required to have an English language proficiency exam--such as the TOIEC. Not being a native speaker will play against you, but only if there is any competition that includes native speakers who are reasonably equipped to teach.

Knowing Thai will never hurt you, but most places want you to speak English. It's good to be able to understand what students are asking. A quick recommendation on this is that if they ask in Thai, you should answer in English. This will also depend on the age of students and the amount of support from a Thai teacher that you have.

Salary can be quite low. You may earn 20-30 baht. There are others who can probably give better information on this. (Better qualifications may mean more pay).

Connections may help you.

Keep us posted.

Thanks a lot!

I had considered teaching in Thailand previously but did not pursue it, now I am wondering what my options might be.

I am from the UK, with a UK degree in Law and am a 22 year old native speaker of (very good) English. I am also white, though I doubt that distinguishes me. I have no TEFL qualification. I've been living and working in Bangkok for about four months and would like to continue to stay here and teach in Bangkok. I speak quite reasonable Thai although I recognise this can only really help me as far as understanding way the Thai minds works re: language.

What are my chances?

Edited by Matan

Salary can be quite low. You may earn 20-30 baht. There are others who can probably give better information on this.

So is there anybody? Come on people...

1 teacher, 1 TEFL course, No degree, Non native English speaker. Location not important. What will be his salary if any...

Just over 3 years ago, I was earning 30k Baht per month & I was new to Thailand. This was at a High School (Matayom) in Bangkok. This was without a degree of any description or TEFL of any description.

I know work just outside of Pattaya. I still do not have a degree or a TEFL & I earn about 36k Baht per month. Also, my "government" health insurance is paid by my employer. I have been with my current employer for almost 3 years & I'm very happy.

My only qualification is a Trade Certificate.

I am Australian.

Edited by elkangorito