Questions About Qualifications

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shino/Vladimir, do not worry about spelling...but certificate starts with a c.

English teaching here is more familiar with IELTS and TOEFL scores. Is there a common conversion table you can use, to show your English skills?

Your best bet is maths and physics, teaching in a good EP or bilingual school.

Shino/Vladimir, do not worry about spelling...but certificate starts with a c.

English teaching here is more familiar with IELTS and TOEFL scores. Is there a common conversion table you can use, to show your English skills?

Your best bet is maths and physics, teaching in a good EP or bilingual school.

Those tests are hard to compare with equity. I found some table in internet with approximate comparison of different tests levels, it says it's like 6,5 by IELTS scale... but you know how rough it can be.

What do you think is wise, to pass some TEFL/CELTA course at home first or to do it in Thai?

And if I can pass such course successfully what are chancess to get a math teaching job in EP school?

Hi all,

I'm an Italian guy living and working in Ireland at present.

I'm not a native speaker but my English is quite good I think.

I work in IT, and I'm an expert in Microsoft technologies (with related certifications)

I've got a BA, but in a totally different subject (Humanities)

I'm plannig to move to Thailand in 3-4 months.

I know... too many "I" :o

Thinking of 2 options:

a) get a CELTA in Thailand and look for a job as an English teacher

b ) get a MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer) here in Europe and then look for a job as an IT teacher in Thailand.

I'd rather stay in my current sector, but, realistically, where do I have the best chances in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,

halfluke

Edited by halfluke

My advice is to keep improving your computer skills and work in computer-related industries/training outside Thailand. Anything you do here related to computers will be a career setback for you for at least a few years, unless you're being stationed or hired here by a full-fledged multinational. TEFLing is not even comparable.

halfluke, most schools here don't care where you are from.

I'd approach the unis for IT teaching.

You could walk into a teaching job easily - most of the guys in the schools have no real teaching qualifications.

The TEFL thing is a waste of time IMO, especially if you're going to a kids school.

Just come and I guarantee you find something.

Teaching English is good for a year or two for the experience.

Sorry I didn't get your answer.

Do you mean that there is no chance to teach IT stuff at an 'EP' school?

or

do you mean that I have no chance to teach English as a foreign language as I'm not a native speaker?

or both?

Thanks

halfluke

No, I mean my best advice is for you to continue with IT and get work in a 1st world country- or, alternately, get hired through some multinational company to do IT work in Bangkok.

I am advising you against coming to do TEFL in Thailand unless you are really willing to risk the loss or the obsolescence of your IT career.

But if you really want to come, as Neeranam says, you're sure to find something.

halfluke, most schools here don't care where you are from.

I'd approach the unis for IT teaching.

You could walk into a teaching job easily - most of the guys in the schools have no real teaching qualifications.

The TEFL thing is a waste of time IMO, especially if you're going to a kids school.

Just come and I guarantee you find something.

Teaching English is good for a year or two for the experience.

True that just about anyone can find work in Thailand teaching English and there are some schools that would accept a monkey as long as it isn't a Thai monkey. No degree, no TEFL and not a native-speaker you'll find work.

However, it's not so easy to walk in to a class of 40 Thai kids which has a combined lexis of around 30 words of English and 'teach'. What will you teach? How will you teach? How do communicate ideas and check understanding? Do you lecture, or give opportunity for the students to practise? What about discipline and classroom management? I needed those 4 weeks of training and 6 observed teaching practices. It's not comprehensive preparation but it gave me the basic skills I needed and a certain amount of confidence. Most Thai-based TEFL courses focus strongly on teaching kids.

Most Thai-based TEFL courses will sponsor your application for a 1-year non-immigrant B visa. Otherwise you arrive with a 60-day tourist visa or a 30-day visa exemption.

Edited by Loaded

I have recently been made redundant at the grand old age of 50 and am looking into the possibility of a complete lifestyle change. I am interested in teaching English in Thailand (which I love) and taking the TEFL course, however, recently I keep seeing that you may be required to have a degree, which I don't. Is this always the case? I have been a PA / Office Manager for most of my working life but feel that this is now the push I need to do something totally different. My partner is in construction and is wondering whether there is any demand for teaching that sort of thing, or getting work in that field?

Any advice and information would be of great help! :o

I have recently been made redundant at the grand old age of 50 and am looking into the possibility of a complete lifestyle change. I am interested in teaching English in Thailand (which I love) and taking the TEFL course, however, recently I keep seeing that you may be required to have a degree, which I don't. Is this always the case? I have been a PA / Office Manager for most of my working life but feel that this is now the push I need to do something totally different. My partner is in construction and is wondering whether there is any demand for teaching that sort of thing, or getting work in that field?

Any advice and information would be of great help! :o

As with all things in Thailand, it is not possible to give a definitive answer, but sadly yes, a degree is generally required, and a TEFL alone is not enough. The further away from Bangkok the more this rule is waived it seems.

To teach at a government school or university a TEFL may be enough, but it depends whether the school administrators are aware of this fact or not. Many aren't.

At most private schools a degree and TEFL are mandatory.

Corporate teaching may not require a degree but tends to be 'bitty'.

There exists a grey area where it is possible to teach without a certificate but this circumvents general law relating to tourist visas.

IMHO it's madness! Welcome to Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

hello, i recently graduated with a BA in History from a pretty good American university. I have only been to t-land once on holiday. i keep reading different things and hearing different things about the state of teaching English in t-land. some say degree is required, some posts say just randomly come to t-land and you'll get a job easy etc. are things like a resume required? i have no work experience in teaching, and my last 3 yr work experience has been odd-jobs here and there, with no real way to put concrete work experience down on an official resume. that being said i would like to teach in t-land. English is fine, but is there a way to teach European or American history, or is this even a subject in t-land schools?

anyway, i dont have a clue as to where to get started and if i need some type of tefl degree. do you get it in t-land? is a celta better or mandatory? what are these people doing and where are they going that they randomly show up and get 30k baht jobs with no degree and no experiance? I also heard that you have to be carefull becauce some schools promise work visas but then don't give them out/ some are shady etc. when i go job hunting should it be in t-land on the 30 day passport stamp, or contact the t-land schools from here in america and have them sort out a work permit before going?

basically I'm confused :D

I would really like to teach in phuket if thats possible, 2nd choice would be on or as near to sukhumvit in bangkok.

thanks for any info :o

Actually, we usually refer to them as Thai schools rather than t-land schools. You should probably read through this thread and every one of the first 5-6 pages of threads in the teachers' forum; no one's going to re-type all those things for you here. If you aren't in the habit of bringing resumes to job interviews, please stay home. In fact, if you don't have any concrete work experience, please stay home. I know about jobs that involve teaching history, but not for those with no teaching experience or other work experience.

If you can't avoid it, you could come here and get a TEFL or CELTA and possibly start teaching somewhere, but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know who the people are that randomly show up, but I imagine you are just the person to find out for us- why are you so concerned about those without degrees if you have one? Many schools are indeed shady, and there's no real way to sort them out without careful interviewing (of their employees). I wouldn't expect to have much luck setting something up before you come, though you should probably check other threads and learn the yearly cycle so you know when to show up, etc.

The two locations you have chosen are among the biggest tourist trap/foreigner-overpriced-scam locations in Thailand, where you are likely to get the lowest wage offers for the worst working conditions and the most expensive and overpriced lifestyles.

I'd suggest you stay home and work on that resume.

Thais know the Thai history and myths that have been spoonfed them. They care nothing about history of other countries. Oh, a few EP courses might have one farang history teacher among a staff of 30 farang, but it is not a subject they teach here. And like science and math, the Thais may decide to hire a Filipina with a B.Ed. and a minor in history, for 24K.

Of course you need a resume; you should not have asked it that way. On your resume, take less than two full pages - one is better - and list only the experience that qualifies you to teach in Thailand. Which appears to be a BA and...I guess a white face. And you may as well hint at your age, because that really matters (younger is better). Good luck, but you probably should not come. Next thing you know, you may have a crappy job, a long commute, and a Thai partner who will suck you dry.

the thing is, i keep reading many posts and many threads, and even some of that long page stickman bangkok has and every one says different things. most make it seem like its a cake walk to get a job for a young white guy with a bachelors degree in anything, and i was unsure of the details so i posted. why should i not come? i would do my best to teach the kids and what i lack in official work experiance i make up in dedication. i just didnt know the exact details on where to get started, if i 100% needed tefl course or celta and wanted someone to iron out some of the wrinkles. like is there an option to come to t-land on my next holiday and observe other farang teachers, so i could see what classrooms look like and whats to be expected?

okkoolio, I apologize that even here on this forum and this thread, there is too much information, and it contradicts itself. Stickman, I checked in 2003, and I was confused.

Let's narrow it down. This is 2009, and you have an American BA in history, no teaching experience or TEFL cert. Right? You might start in BKK for 30K, even 35K. Phuket, too small. Other places, no higher wages. You would apparently get your work permit in a month or two, with extended visa.Your chances of finding a history teaching job are extremely slim. Your first job will most likely be your worst. You may come to Thailand, but you do not need to. Goood luck.

• 1 month later...

OK. Been to Thailand nine times. Feel very comfortable there. I am an ex Air Force Captain. I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, a MS in Math. All big USA universities. I even taught Algebra and Calculus in Graduate school.

I have looked into teaching at various times. Never saw a firm agreement on certification requirements.

1. Can I get a teaching job in Thailand? I really doubt I can teach young young kids. Teenagers and pre college would be my goal. Maybe help out with the youngsters if needed.

2. My english is above average having studied some extra while on active duty and going to some Air Force service schools. I would envision teaching math, science and things like on the side, and of course tutoring.

So, do I need to get some type of online certificate? Will it help? Can you recommend any that have actually been used?

I did round up all my diplomas and have copies of my college transcripts. My resume is long and varied having been active duty for 10 years, then direct salary for five years, then contract engineer all over the USA for 10. I suspect a one page CV is what I would prepare. The details of my 15 jobs or so are not really relevant.

Who do I apply to? I could handle Bangkok and some of the propertys I saw there. I like the BTS. Would not mind Pattaya as it is easy to get around. Chiang Mai could be ok. I prefer to not be too far out in the wilderness.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Do I need a BA degree to teach in Thailand? (Music not english). I might have trouble getting hold of my certificate due to unreliable parents.

I have other easier access to qualifications related to music and a non university academy. Will this be enough or will I have to provide evidence of my degree?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted in the wrong section (sorry!)

Do I need a BA degree to teach in Thailand? (Music not english). I might have trouble getting hold of my certificate due to unreliable parents.

I have other easier access to qualifications related to music and a certificate 3 from a non university academy. Will this be enough or will I have to provide evidence of my degree?

I've read most of this topic and some people say you can, other people say you can't. Can someone clarify?

Edited by akirasan

It really depends on the school. Some you won't need much, but they also pay very low. If you want one of the better paying jobs at an international school or bi-lingual program, the more paper you can show them, the better. Good luck.

Skettios thanks for your help. I also asked the school I applied to (bi-lingual) and the answer was

"Not a great issue. but some ramifications long term for visa."

I'll find out more next week when I meet with my potential employer again, and will post the result up here.

The pay for the job I applied for isn't bad, isn't great, but I'm happy with it. I do have a lot of relevant experience (music) to the teaching position advertised so hopefully all will be ok because it's something I'd enjoy doing.

You may want to contact your University and get a letter stating you received a degree (or a copy of the degree). You will want to get your transcript at the same time. The transcript shouldn't be so hard to get (a replacement for your degree may). Actually, I have no idea where my degree is, but I received my work permit with the transcripts--that was a long time ago.

Best of luck to you.