Backward cleaning teeth operations in LOS

Last year I decided to clean my teeth, something I have done for years in my home country. To my consternation, they used one of those motorized rotary with a metal tip (like a file) to do this. It took them not more than 20 min. to do all my teeth. In my home country, it took usually took an hour. Price: 800 B..

Am I the only one who has noticed, but, from what I hear from Thai friends it is the norm here?

The issue is that a few days after some teeth became very sensitive to cold/arm (rinsing teeth after brushing and such),... My wife mentioned the same thing (she had the procedure too). To me, it seems that these "machines" are ill-suited to do a precise enough job, so that they don't take too much enamel. I am concerned that a) they are doing ti on purpose so that my teeth will eventually need more work or (b) they are not aware of the issue (because no one tells them or complain).

In my home country they use a manual tool to carefully remove plaque and a softer, sponge-like motorized to polish the teeth after.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

Tooth cleanings I have had done mainly used a manual tool such as you describe in your last paragraph. I have never encountered what you describe having had done here so I think it is nto the norm. Try a different dentist.

Suspect you are talking about the normal ultrasonic scaling done on those of us that need a lot of removal.under gum line.

The ultrasonic scaling device removes tartar (calculus), plaque and biofilm from the tooth surface and underneath the gum line. A manual instrument may be used next to remove the remainder. Root planing involves detailed scaling of the root surface to decrease inflammation of the gum tissue.

• Thanks 1

Back in Europe I used to have my teeth cleaned by a fully-qualified dentist every 4-6 months. It would take over an hour using ultrasonic water-jet tools and also manual tools, finishing with a polishing brush. I always had to have many local anaesthetic injections to allow them to get down to the gums, and my whole mouth would be numb for several hours. Cost was around 4000B (equiv).

Here I have had huge problems finding anyone who can do the same level of cleaning: they seem to be far more concerned about the cosmetic aspect of the job (which doesnt interest me at all) and dont seem to want to get right down into the gum line. Also it is very hard to get them to use enough injections to allow them to get right in to where it is needed. I finally found someone who did a reasonable job for 2400B, split over two visits (upper jaw and lower jaw).

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Here I have had huge problems finding anyone who can do the same level of cleaning:

If you want that level of cleaning here in Thailand you have to go to a periodontist who will do what is referred to as deep cleaning or scaling

A regular dentist will not go below the gum line but a periodontist will because plaque has to be removed so it will not separate the gums from the teeth.   The only difference I have noted between US periodontal cleaning and Thai periodontal cleaning is the in the US they use the manual scraping tool first and then the water jet.  Thailand is the reverse  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

If you want that level of cleaning here in Thailand you have to go to a periodontist who will do what is referred to as deep cleaning or scaling

A regular dentist will not go below the gum line but a periodontist will because plaque has to be removed so it will not separate the gums from the teeth.   The only difference I have noted between US periodontal cleaning and Thai periodontal cleaning is the in the US they use the manual scraping tool first and then the water jet.  Thailand is the reverse  

Thank you. I went to the Suandok dentistry school to do the cleaning and, at the time, I did not see any "older" dentist checking. This might explain that.

How much do you pay for a periodontist doing the scaling then in LOS and how long did it take?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

I paid 2,200 baht for last scaling/cleaning in January at higher priced facility, Dentalis Center in Bangkok.  Appointments are in one hour blocks but normally takes about 20-30 minutes as do not use any shots.  But has taken longer if needs more than average manual work to get it all off.  Did take longer when first started and wife was about 4  hour appointments to complete as had never been done and very pain sensitive.

• 3 months later...

May be backwards if dental work is done at small and fly-by-night clinics. I was satisfied with my teeth cleaning at Thantakit Dental (the one at  New Petchburi Road) as it also consists of polishing and the use of Air Flow system. I guess the basic ones do not have the air-flow prophylaxis or they'd choose not to use it. I'd rather pay a little bit more for intensive cleaning as I only get this every year. I think Thantakit standards are quite at par with western standards so I'm happy with my teeth cleaning experience with them. 

• 2 weeks later...