Why living in Thailand has made me a better person

rooster59

7 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

It was merely an an honest  observation. Take heed of the locals and 'don't think too much' you might feel a little happier. ?

I reckon it is a wise advice ...:wink:

but honestly, my first comment was due only to the daily observation somewhat surprised by those same negative feedback loop, not to any resentment, and so I closed it with a smiling smiley ?

Very good article, and a very important topic indeed. Thailand changed my life and made me a much better person. Thailand taught me so much. How to be patient, kind, and to think good thoughts. I studied Buddhism in a temple and lived there. I am much calmer and better. I got a lot out of Thailand. My kids were born there.

But, having said that, this is not the same Thailand anymore. My days were amazing and wonderful, and so were the people then. Bangkok was an amazing place, Bernard Trink was alive. There was magic in the air everyday. Those days are long gone folks. You missed it and you are different. I have no idea why many of you are in  Thailand now. What could it possibly have to offer anyone ?

8 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Yet your little ray of sunshine is no more than a negative response in itself. ?

It is incredible that guests in a country seeking their dream would ever complain. It shows that those people will not change and that they were chowder heads in their own countries.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, if opinionated subject matter were eliminated, what else would we discuss?

Football.  Weather. Tyre pressures. Cycling routes. Mathematical conundra. The perfidy of auto-correct.

It’s always nice to be able to suggest a useful answer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adventurer1 said:

It is incredible that guests in a country seeking their dream would ever complain. It shows that those people will not change and that they were chowder heads in their own countries.

If I was seeking my dream, I’d be jolly baitey at every turn at which I was let down.  You might be able to handle frustration and disappointment with stoic silence, but your sanctimonious silence is by no means universal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

If I was seeking my dream, I’d be jolly baitey at every turn at which I was let down.  You might be able to handle frustration and disappointment with stoic silence, but your sanctimonious silence is by no means universal.

Not trying to be funny SC, but what did you mean by "Baitey"...I googled it without any meaningful result....Was this a spelling mistake or is it a "Dialect Word" from somewhere?

Not trying to be a "Smart arse"....Just askin'.:smile:

Just now, Mario666 said:

Not trying to be funny SC, but what did you mean by "Baitey"...I googled it without any meaningful result....Was this a spelling mistake or is it a "Dialect Word" from somewhere?

Not trying to be a "Smart arse"....Just askin'.:smile:

Bad tempered, as in someone who has been baited.  Most commonly, of bears, although badger-baiting is also a fairly traditional sport.  It might also be spelt 'bating', for all I know,  I wouldn't like to consider myself a master of the topic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

Football.  Weather. Tyre pressures. Cycling routes. Mathematical conundra. The perfidy of auto-correct.

It’s always nice to be able to suggest a useful answer

My my, aren't you confused? Do you actually think discussing football, weather, tire pressure, cycling routes or math would not be opinionated? And, I doubt auto-correct could be accused of being deceitful or untrustworthy, but that too may be opinionated.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

My my, aren't you confused? Do you actually think discussing football, weather, tire pressure, cycling routes or math would not be opinionated? And, I doubt auto-correct could be accused of being deceitful or untrustworthy, but that too may be opinionated.

Auto-correct will probably be the cause of the next world war. 

As for the rest, if you can't discuss football, or the weather or tyre pressures or cycling routes or conundra of any sort without your own selfish opinions clouding your judgement, then what hope have you of dispassionate and open-minded discourse on any topic?

• Like 1

I do believe "jolly baitey"  is a phrase lifted from the Derek and Clive record Ad Nauseum, spoken by Peter Cook. Maybe SC could confirm?

Back on topic, I think retirement has made me a better person. I am far less stressed, more relaxed; those feelings accentuated by living here.

6 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

As for the rest, if you can't discuss football, or the weather or tyre pressures or cycling routes or conundra of any sort without your own selfish opinions clouding your judgement, then what hope have you of dispassionate and open-minded discourse on any topic?

Auto-correct eh?

Must admit, sometimes I really get tired of that shirt.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adventurer1 said:

'Seeking their dream'....?

It's hard to imagine any country could improve me, but I must say that when I am back in the west I am miles ahead in terms of being flexible, low stress, resistant to materialism, I see other drivers as being skillful and considerate.

I feel like a hothead in Thailand, but back in Canada it seems like their all a bunch of stressed out, Chicken Littles, that need a calendar app to arrange a quick coffee sometime next week.

I thought Thailand had improved my driving skills but I went back and drove through a couple of serious blizzards and realized that some of my skills have been compromised.

Edited by canuckamuck

We are continually changing getting older and changing mentally and physically.I would say old age has changed me rather than living in Thailand.I am far less tolerant of noise ..banging,drilling,loud speakers.I find the heat and humidity irritating .I am tired of being with people obsessed with money  and seeing ugly fat boring old farts claiming my wife or girlfriend is different from all the others.I  have changed from

a happy good looking fun tolerant guy into a miserable old sod but it's old age and not the Land of smiles that has changed me!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robert888d said:

We are continually changing getting older and changing mentally and physically.I would say old age has changed me rather than living in Thailand.I am far less tolerant of noise ..banging,drilling,loud speakers.I find the heat and humidity irritating .I am tired of being with people obsessed with money  and seeing ugly fat boring old farts claiming my wife or girlfriend is different from all the others.I  have changed from

a happy good looking fun tolerant guy into a miserable old sod but it's old age and not the Land of smiles that has changed me!

Chin-Up Pal! :partytime2:

12 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Absolute absurdity; surely you are attempting humor. What is the best football team?

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

Absolute absurdity; surely you are attempting humor. What is the best football team?

Who cares?  What do you mean by ‘best’?  I don’t really follow soccer closely enough to comment.

I found it quite humid today, and I get a lot less punctures now my tyres are up at the top end of the rates pressure.

18 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Who cares?  What do you mean by ‘best’?  I don’t really follow soccer closely enough to comment.

I found it quite humid today, and I get a lot less punctures now my tyres are up at the top end of the rates pressure.

"Who cares?" An opinion. "What do you mean by 'best'?" An opinion. "I found it quite humid today." An opinion. All opinion.

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

"Who cares?" An opinion. "What do you mean by 'best'?" An opinion. "I found it quite humid today." An opinion. All opinion.

But not opinionated, and without getting excited.

Do you ever express your opinions dispassionately?  I find Tiger beer ok; it’s fairly consistent, and cheaper than premium brands.  There’s an opinion, supported by evidence. What’s your favourite beer? Do you like Tiger?  There’s an invitation to join in a pleasant conversation.

It can be done.