Brits behaving badly: UK citizens most likely to get arrested in Thailand

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Is the headline not clear ?? It's about arrests of British tourists, not deaths !!

The headline is perfectly clear, how about your reading abilities?

My post number 26 was in response to the one that preceded it, post number 25.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

The headline is perfectly clear, how about your reading abilities?

My post number 26 was in response to the one that preceded it, post number 25.

Then you should use the quote function, otherwise it's just a random comment in a list of comments...

See how it works, obvious that I'm replying to you :)

Then you should use the quote function, otherwise it's just a random comment in a list of comments...

See how it works, obvious that I'm replying to you :)

In the West we read a page, left to right, top to bottom!

Must be all those bridge and dart players that boosts the numbers, I reckon.

First reaction was "so what, then what?"

These numbers may be somewhat deceptively low, as figures aren't available that reveal how many in line for arrest made a contribution to arresting officers retirement fund rather than head down to the station.

13 hours ago, robblok said:

These numbers are useless if they don't compare it to people from other countries in relation to visitor numbers. 

Yes I would like to see a numbers chart of nationalities who are arrested in Thailand and again compare to, say per 100,000 as this chart has done.

But I am fairly certain the results would vary according to various parts of Thailand. I live Chiang Mai and have visited Phuket a lot and from what I have seen of "trouble makers" it would be different in those two areas. Only my opinion.

10 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is easily rectified. Passport control just needs to deny entry to anyone with a buzz cut hair style, faded tattoos and wearing a premier league football shirt. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That would be terrible. It means that premier league clubs like Liverpool, Man.U., Man. City and Leicester would have to leave half of their players at home when they visit Thailand.

20 minutes ago, mikebell said:

It could be farangs are more visible targets for corrupt Thai police.  I had a coffee on Pattaya Tai and watched Plod ignore multiple Thai offenders and pull in Tourists to be milked.

There is an element of truth in that.

I was once approached by a cop for illegal parking (I parked between 2 other cars). He came straight over to me, ignoring the two other cars. One of the cars had a Thai driver and when I pointed out that they were also parked illegally the cop just smiled. Anyway, he found out that I spoke Thai and after several minutes of trying to joke with him that farangs were really poor, he let me off.

Considering the figures were taken from a Report About Helping British  Nationals Abroad, it is interesting that more get arrested here than other places. I also note that as it was compiled from this report, there would NOT be any comparison with other nationalities would it, some people would benefit from actually reading the OP.

I find that fIgure  high considering I have lived here for over 15 years and I am also British. Maybe it is because we also have a lot of expats living here, that family friends as well as relatives also come here. I agree with the comment about Drink and drugs, when younger going abroad where the drink laws are more relaxed and drugs more freely available was always an excuse to let ones hair down . 

13 hours ago, robblok said:

These numbers are useless if they don't compare it to people from other countries in relation to visitor numbers. 

Yes and I think the nature of the crimes should be compared. I don't think Brits do Novichok poisonings, libelous tweets or ball tampering as much as some other nations that I wouldn't deem to mention.

Does the 432,000 figure relate to tourism visits only?

Does the number of arrests also include expats?

And does the number of arrests include such violations as working illegally and overstays?

We don't know, but if the answers to the above are yes, I's say 194 arrests is quite a low number!

10 hours ago, The manic said:

Not real crimes just a sense of freedom and an innate inability to negotiate with police for cultural reasons

sorry to spoil the party:
since you intimate that a lack of respect for local law leading to criminal convictions is not a real crime,
I respectfully suggest to stay away from places where you do neither understand the law nor want to live by it, but that most certainly do not rank your opinion about their legal system above the law.

5 minutes ago, Card said:

Yes and I think the nature of the crimes should be compared. I don't think Brits do Novichok poisonings, libelous tweets or ball tampering as much as some other nations that I wouldn't deem to mention.

Oh do you think the Brits do less ball tampering with the third sex then other members of that nation you dare not mention ? :smile:

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Oh do you think the Brits do less ball tampering with the third sex then other members of that nation you dare not mention ? :smile:

Maybe that's why that young lad got thrown off the balcony by the ladyboy !!

Used sandpaper to tamper with the balls ???

each to their own, but if someone tampers with my balls with sanding paper, I would be unpredictably upset.

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yea who knows nobody likes their balls sandpapered. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the report, Thailand was among the countries to record the highest number of cases involving mental health issues among Brits.

This is the crux of the matter. For some reason Thailand seems to attract more than its fair share of people who are mentally unstable (and not just Brits, obviously). That will boost rates of suicide, disorderly conduct, and general mayhem. I guess Thailand is seen as a 'relaxed' place that's easy to afford once you get there and where there are girls and drink a-plenty... so it attracts people that are perhaps not quite fitting into the mainstream back home. As others have said, UAE is another kettle of fish altogether... 

14 hours ago, robblok said:

They do. Read the article again.

While Spain topped the list overall with 1,012 arrests, that was from 13 million British visitors, giving it a per 100,000 figure of just 7.8, which is average for most destinations.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

While Spain topped the list overall with 1,012 arrests, that was from 13 million British visitors, giving it a per 100,000 figure of just 7.8, which is average for most destinations.

I meant other nationalities, sorry to be unclear. I wrote people from other countries but I meant other nationalities.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It doesn't compare people from other countries. Its only Brits in various countries. In reference to Spain it is the number of brits arrested in Spain.

Seems like certain people from certain countries look down on Thais and feel very superior to them. this gets them in trouble.

Always remember...this is not not not your country. Be very careful. Do not wrong. They may have a huge punishment for you. It is not your country!!!!

Thats BS ,In the last 45 years that I have been spending here, 90% of my friends or acquaintances are from the UK and I have found that less then 1% of them other then gentlemen.When living in Pattaya 12 years ago there were a few of the "football" thugs but these types found out that thuggery did not go well here.The AXXHOLES of ALL the expats do not last long in Asia and with the Thai Army forcing the Bib to get rid of the bums of over stay and non work permits we now have even less.

14 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

It cannot just be Brits coming here to die - nearly every week a Chinese person drowns and the Ozzies manage to mangle themselves on a regular basis.

What they should report is that other than war zones LoS is the deadliest place for any visitor.....though most of the time self inflicted...
especially on balconies according to the Police and the (ex) Girlfriend.

lonewolf,see text #64 from Asiahand

I've seen this report before here. Must be an annual one. Sounds like as an American I wouldn't want to vacation in Spain, what with 18 million Brits assuming colonial airs over the 2.6 million American arrivals in Spain. I put up with that a lot when I lived in Luxembourg, but that was back in the mid-'70s. It was always bloody Yank this, bloody Yank that. Or, as some Guardian writer wrote, the Stones' "Satisfaction" was written "to register disgust with America" when in fact, if you read Keith Richard's 600-page memoir, nothing was further from the truth. (source of stats: https://www.statista.com/statistics/447683/foreign-tourists-visiting-spain-by-country-of-residence/)

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Maybe with the help of the Dutch embassy you could find out how your people are doing.

:sorry:

37 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

Seems like certain people from certain countries look down on Thais and feel very superior to them. this gets them in trouble.

Always remember...this is not not not your country. Be very careful. Do not wrong. They may have a huge punishment for you. It is not your country!!!!

...and not one of your colonies.

3 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Maybe with the help of the Dutch embassy you could find out how your people are doing.

:sorry:

No need to know, they probably behave just as bad as the Brits, though seen a few Dutch pedophiles in the news recently so they might even rank worse. I am not really hung up on nationalities though its fun to compare a bit. I don't chose my friends based on nationality but based on similar interests. 

Archived