Brits behaving badly: UK citizens most likely to get arrested in Thailand

snoop1130

1 minute ago, SupermarineS6B said:

To know the world and its people you must start at the bottom and aim for the top........ otherwise you're talking out of your hat........ I've been here nearly three decades now and twenty years ago you didn't have to do much to get plugged, but it was all fun......... And by the way, some of those people were classy..... just in the wrong place at the wrong time........

Don't wear a hat.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

And I would like to see one conducted by a Thai company (yeah I know, stupid statement) that shows the arrests here in thailand by others from other countries.

It would be better to do the same survey as what has been done with the Brits which also showed the statistics for Thailand so if America, Australia, Spain and all the other countries did exactly the same survey you would have the figure for all the same countries where they are arrested. Yes Thailand could also do the same and we would see how many Thais are arrested in all the other countries

32 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Rubbish, stop fantasising, either post proof or don't post.

Sounds like you've been here five minutes...... read my last post........ Had another mate ran over by a copper in Kanchanaburi because he'd had an argument over buying him a beer......  RIP Mr T Q...

14 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

To know the world and its people you must start at the bottom and aim for the top........ otherwise you're talking out of your hat........ I've been here nearly three decades now and twenty years ago you didn't have to do much to get plugged, but it was all fun......... And by the way, some of those people were classy..... just in the wrong place at the wrong time........

Example, had a mate shot in the middle of Silom by a copper twenty eight years ago who was having an affair with his girlfriend, he walked up behind him, stuck his pistol to his head and blew his brains out....... He was a good bloke , just the wrong woman and wrong fruit cake copper.....

Unfortunately I started higher up and have worked my way down here. Had a couple friends die on motorbikes but none murdered. Although have an ex that I wouldn't cry about if she was.

7 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Maybe you should, might make you appear intelligent....... Boom boom !     Only joking......

Nope. Nothing makes me appear intelligent. Only my last payslips.

2 hours ago, Yann55 said:

I thought UK was the country with the highest number of cases involving mental health issues among Brits... Why would they have voted for Brexit otherwise ? :biggrin:

A rare moment of sanity ??

2 hours ago, Yann55 said:

I thought UK was the country with the highest number of cases involving mental health issues among Brits... Why would they have voted for Brexit otherwise ? :biggrin:

A rare moment of sanity ??

4 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Sounds like you've been here five minutes......

Sixteen years on a permanent basis, a further seven on a part time basis, in three different parts of the country - posters are hysterical on this subject and don't have clue what the reality is, all Daily Express and Sun readers I reckon..

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Sixteen years on a permanent basis, a further seven on a part time basis, in three different parts of the country - posters are hysterical on this subject and don't have clue what the reality is, all Daily Express and Sun readers I reckon..

Thirty years nearly....... twenty five full time..... came here before mobile phones, ATMs, and deodorant, when it was illegal to lick a stamp, and fairys wern't allowed...... travelled all over the country from North to south, speak Thai..... Still a tourist and still learning........

Thirty years nearly....... twenty five full time..... came here before mobile phones, ATMs, and deodorant, when it was illegal to lick a stamp, and fairys wern't allowed...... travelled all over the country from North to south, speak Thai..... Still a tourist and still learning........

And your point is?

From Google:- "May 11, 2017 - A total 1004669 UK visitors made it to Thailand in 2016 and the country ready to welcome an even bigger figure this 2017"

From the post on TV:- "By comparison, 432,000 Brits visited Thailand during the same period (I Apr 2015 to 31 Mar 2016)  , resulting in 194 arrests, FCO figures revealed"

That's some jump! I wonder which figures TAT are using?

15 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

And your point is?

My point is that over those years in a country with such a history of senseless violence i must of seen something, and a lot of what i've seen and experienced the normal person would not believe......But if you hadn't seen it for yourself you wouldn't believe it..... as you don't, because you probably havn't seen it...... Sat in a bar once up country and a young Thai lad came in, had an argument with the owner over money, extortion money that is, he then walked outside pulled out a pistol and shot the B-jesus out of the bar !  Famous case where a ricochet killed a young Australian nurse sat at the bar..... The kid ran off and nobody would give evidence against him due to the fact that he was a coppers son....... The Land of smiles hey ?   I knew the bar owner, the people sat at the bar, and nobody would say a word, they wouldn't even look me in the eye......... The little sod got away with it.......

31 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

My point is that over those years in a country with such a history of senseless violence i must of seen something, and a lot of what i've seen and experienced the normal person would not believe......But if you hadn't seen it for yourself you wouldn't believe it..... as you don't, because you probably havn't seen it...... Sat in a bar once up country and a young Thai lad came in, had an argument with the owner over money, extortion money that is, he then walked outside pulled out a pistol and shot the B-jesus out of the bar !  Famous case where a ricochet killed a young Australian nurse sat at the bar..... The kid ran off and nobody would give evidence against him due to the fact that he was a coppers son....... The Land of smiles hey ? 

To be clear, I've lived here every day for the past 16 years, I've not used Thailand as a base and come back here in between work assignments, I've been here full time, 24x7.

In the late 1990's I hung out a lot in Pattaya and lower sukie, I did the bar scene and was always out and about 24x7, it's not a case of having lived a sheltered existence here, quite the opposite.

I've lived in Phuket, in Patong for four years, I've lived in Chiang Mai for the majority of my time here, I;'ve also spent about two years in Central Thailand and in Issan - I've travelled the country pretty extensively and I continue to do so.

In all that time I've not witnessed one single serious physical attack by anyone, I've not witnessed major assaults and certainly never a killing - I've seen a few Thai and farangs get punched but nothing to write home about, business as usual sort of stuff. I look at the UK deaths in Thailand stats. and I see that out of a million or so UK visitors  per year, around 150 people die each year where the cause of death was unclear, not the reason for the death, the cause. If I look at farang deaths web site and assume every single Brit listed on that site was actually murdered rather than dying of old age, in hospital, by drowning or in an RTA, I think to myself yes, that sounds about right, that matches with what I've seen/not seen here. So you'll forgive me if I'm sceptical when a couple of posters tell us they've lost two close friends who were murdered and then use that as an example that Thailand is massively unsafe for foreigners, the fact is the one thing just  doesn't translate into the other and posters are full of hot air with their own agenda on this subject, Thai bashing as per usual, bar stool experts on Thailand! I think is posters are seeing evidence of multiple deaths in Thailand, have lost close friends to murder etc, they maybe want to reevaluate their lifestyles.

As A British person i find the term Brit offensive and racist,  yet it seems to used by all other countries. We are NOT allowed to refer to people coming from most other countries by their countries name ( ie pakistan ) you know what i mean  PC and all the BS . Many people who come from Britain  who refer themselves  are from other counties who reside in britain. so are they referring to TRUE British people or the ones who just live there  If so then its just more fake news 

22 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

To be clear, I've lived here every day for the past 16 years, I've not used Thailand as a base and come back here in between work assignments, I've been here full time, 24x7.

In the late 1990's I hung out a lot in Pattaya and lower sukie, I did the bar scene and was always out and about 24x7, it's not a case of having lived a sheltered existence here, quite the opposite.

I've lived in Phuket, in Patong for four years, I've lived in Chiang Mai for the majority of my time here, I;'ve also spent about two years in Central Thailand and in Issan - I've travelled the country pretty extensively and I continue to do so.

In all that time I've not witnessed one single serious physical attack by anyone, I've not witnessed major assaults and certainly never a killing - I've seen a few Thai and farangs get punched but nothing to write home about, business as usual sort of stuff. I look at the UK deaths in Thailand and I see that out of a million or so UK visitors  per year, around 150 people die each year where the cause of death was unclear, not the reason for the death, the cause. If I look at farang deaths web site and assume every single Brit listed on that site was actually murdered rather than dying of old age, in hospital, by drowning or in an RTA, I think to myself yes, that sounds about right, that matches with what I've seen/not seen here. So you'll forgive me if I'm sceptical when a couple of posters tell us they've lost two close friends who were murdered and then use that as an example that Thailand is massively unsafe for foreigners, the fact is the one thing just  doesn't translate into the other and posters are full of hot air with their own agenda on this subject, Thai bashing as per usual, bar stool experts on Thailand!

You've been lucky........ I shouldn't really say this, but a few weeks back there was a girl murdered in soi cowboy. She worked in a bar that i go to regularly and a lot of the girls refer to me as Papa and usually come over and have a chat and get whatever on their minds out for a bit of comfort. There was a particularly vibrant lady who really was shaking the place, she'd only been there a couple of days and reminded me of the old crazy days back in Long Gun.  Anyway she sat down next to me, off came the veil of work and she started telling me her tale of woe. After i'd listened and tried my best to soothe her little brow, she gave me the nod and a wink, that's wink, then she tottled off back to work. She was strangled that night by her deserter boyfriend..........  Next night i came in the manager looked at me like i was Peter Sutcliff, he told me what had happened and the gory details of the coppers photographs........   Maybe it's just me...... funny old place eh ?   

11 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

As A British person i find the term Brit offensive and racist,  yet it seems to used by all other countries. We are NOT allowed to refer to people coming from most other countries by their countries name ( ie pakistan ) you know what i mean  PC and all the BS . Many people who come from Britain  who refer themselves  are from other counties who reside in britain. so are they referring to TRUE British people or the ones who just live there  If so then its just more fake news 

I used to joke with a bBritish friend in Australia. I said Australians are AUSTRALIANS, Americans are AMERICANS but you people from England are only BRIT....ish.

Remember is only a joke before you get offended.

22 hours ago, Kinnock said:

In Thailand I bet the arrest in most cases is related to drink or drugs

In UAE it's a simple failure to understand that their legal system is based on a Bronze Age novel.

I see the majority in the deadly combination "under the influence of" and sunburn ... the pale-skinned Brits look like boiled prawns in Brighton already on an overcast July day with the temp. shooting up to 22 °C...the Thai sun must be aweful on them

You've been lucky........ I shouldn't really say this, but a few weeks back there was a girl murdered in soi cowboy. She worked in a bar that i go to regularly and a lot of the girls refer to me as Papa and usually come over and have a chat and get whatever on their minds out for a bit of comfort. There was a particularly vibrant lady who really was shaking the place, she'd only been there a couple of days and reminded me of the old crazy days back in Long Gun.  Anyway she sat down next to me, off came the veil of work and she started telling me her tale of woe. Afer i'd listened and tried my best to soothe her little brow, she gave me the nod and a wink, that's wink, then she tottled off back to work. She was strangled that night by her deserter boyfriend..........  Next night i came in the manager looked at me like i was Peter Sutcliff, he told me what had happened and the gory details of the coppers photographs........   Funny old place eh ? 

Now you've reminded me that I have seen an assault and it was in a gogo in Nana, Thai girl on Thai girl, nasty stuff and a lot of blood, but certainly, nothing involving foreigners.

22 hours ago, Kinnock said:

in UAE it's a simple failure to understand that their legal system is based on a Bronze Age novel.

I lived in the UAE for over a decade. All of the foreign nationals I knew, including a considerable number of Brits, never found the legal system difficult to understand or too onerous to abide by.

Generally those who fail to cope are the ones who arrive (in any country) with an inflated sense of entitlement and some ridiculous notion of superiority. Those characteristics are certainly not limited to the British, but they do seem to have honed them to a level that invites confrontation more readily.

22 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

"As A (Why the capital A?)  British person", it sounds like you are a bit thin skinned to me - I am from the UK and don't mind being called a Brit. If someone hails from Pakistan then I would call them a Pakistani, if someone hails from Scotland I would call them a Scot (Not a Jock - that would be offensive - apparently it is a synonym for "sweaty sock"!)

What offends me is the way that this post singles out "Brits behaving badly" - why not have follow up posts about "Swedes behaving badly" (An example on TV today), or "Russians behaving badly", but it seems to be in fashion to knock the "Drunken British Yobs" at the moment!

20 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I used to joke with a bBritish friend in Australia. I said Australians are AUSTRALIANS, Americans are AMERICANS but you people from England are only BRIT....ish.

Not being pedantic, but the joke would sound better if you said "you people from Britain" (Not England)! But yeah, I've never heard that one before - quite good!

(A bit off topic but I remember Andy Murray the tennis player complaining that when he won, he was British, but if he lost he was Scottish - fair point, but he spoiled it refusing to acknowledge the fact that Scotland is in fact part of (Great :cheesy:) Britain, or the United Kingdom!)

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Take out the drink related offences and the figure will drop drastically.  The reputation of Brits being drunk and brawling is not unfounded.  Yes it is embarrassing but let's not forget they aren't always brawling with their countrymen.  In other words it takes two sides to create a punch-up.

Not surprising that the usual greeting from a Brit in a pub is "Who the <deleted> are you looking at!" :smile: 

The last time I got that it was from an American in Soi 4 nana in that bar  restaurant with with the low wall and the staff sometimez wear floral Signapore Airlines uniforms

2 hours ago, clockwork said:

Why am I not surprised? 

This is my experience as well. Glad to see some stats to back it up.

Not saying all Brits are bad, they are obviously not, but when there is trouble and some aggressive loud mouth tattooed drunk dude with a bad attitude is involved, it sure as hell 99% of the times, is a Brit!

Really "99% of the times"?

Oh, I've told you a MILLION times, stop exaggerating. :smile::smile:

(be cool)

51 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

No offence taken 

Archived