Brits behaving badly: UK citizens most likely to get arrested in Thailand

snoop1130

33 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

I've seen this report before here. Must be an annual one. Sounds like as an American I wouldn't want to vacation in Spain, what with 18 million Brits assuming colonial airs over the 2.6 million American arrivals in Spain. I put up with that a lot when I lived in Luxembourg, but that was back in the mid-'70s. It was always bloody Yank this, bloody Yank that. Or, as some Guardian writer wrote, the Stones' "Satisfaction" was written "to register disgust with America" when in fact, if you read Keith Richard's 600-page memoir, nothing was further from the truth. (source of stats: https://www.statista.com/statistics/447683/foreign-tourists-visiting-spain-by-country-of-residence/)

Colonial airs? That's right up there with 'we' when referring to 1776 against the people you're slagging off yet when challenged your own geneology footprint in the US vanishes prior to 1945. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, The manic said:

Not real crimes just a sense of freedom and an innate inability to negotiate with police for cultural reasons

Now your talking about negotiations.  They speak a version of English I can barely understand.   Don’t they topple soccer stadiums in the U.K. of opposition teams?   

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Brits arrested  have failed to grasp laws and punishments  in some country's they visit are draconian in comparison to what they enjoy. I would say brexit hasn't helped to attitude wise either.             (flack coming). 

Nope, I fail to see how the leader of the Trumpton fire brigade will help lower the figures ??

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

If you remove road traffic deaths it is safe.

It is not just about road safety, or lack thereof. Per capita, Thailand has the highest gun death rate in Asia, surpassing even the Philippines by 50% through 2015 (that has no doubt changed with Duarte). Though much less transparent, Thailand has a deep gun culture. Depending on the data used (see nationmaster, or http://www.healthdata.org/ , etc.) the land of smiles ranks 3rd to 5th worldwide in firearms-related homicides, not counting nations which don't/cannot accurately report (i.e. Syria, etc.). 

5 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

There are so many strange laws in Thailand, that it is easier to tell what is legal, than what is illegal
because the law changes from day to day and after the brown shirt's mood.

“because the law changes from day to day and after the brown shirt's mood financial status.”

More appropriate me thinks

Den

21 minutes ago, lifeincnx said:

It is not just about road safety, or lack thereof. Per capita, Thailand has the highest gun death rate in Asia, surpassing even the Philippines by 50% through 2015 (that has no doubt changed with Duarte). Though much less transparent, Thailand has a deep gun culture. Depending on the data used (see nationmaster, or http://www.healthdata.org/ , etc.) the land of smiles ranks 3rd to 5th worldwide in firearms-related homicides, not counting nations which don't/cannot accurately report (i.e. Syria, etc.). 

It can have the highest everything that's bad and it won't change the picture, Thailand remains safe for westerners who act sensibly and have some manners, I'd rather take my chances in Nakon Nowhere at 3am than I would the streets of London, Manchester or Sheffield.

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is easily rectified. Passport control just needs to deny entry to anyone with a buzz cut hair style, faded tattoos and wearing a premier league football shirt. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

What about the mousers? Oh wait! That's the Australians.:cheesy:

21 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Nonsense.

Tell that to my deceased friend that was murdered, chopped up and burnt in the jungle here. 

Apart from the road traffic deaths, Thailand is still one of the safest countries in the world.

16 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

It cannot just be Brits coming here to die - nearly every week a Chinese person drowns and the Ozzies manage to mangle themselves on a regular basis.

What they should report is that other than war zones LoS is the deadliest place for any visitor.....though most of the time self inflicted...
especially on balconies according to the Police and the (ex) Girlfriend.

image.jpeg.f801f92d98fff23ffa571a1a7b1afda7.jpeg

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Yes indeed. The badly behaving Brits are not really behaving badly, they are just confused by the Thai legal system. :cheesy:

Yes, but that would apply to anyone.

Sounds like old Big Joke is targeting the wrong foreigners by going after all the black and brown people. Looks like it's past time for opperation "White Eagle" to start rounding up these thugs before they can cause anymore damage to society.

17 hours ago, Kinnock said:

In Thailand I bet the arrest in most cases is related to drink or drugs

In UAE it's a simple failure to understand that their legal system is based on a Bronze Age novel.

I lived in the UAE for several years as well as Thailand. Thailand attracts a very different type of visitor than the UAE, which isn't so touristy but has many expat workers.

The UAE legal system isn't anything like what you imagine; although some laws are quite different to what you might expect. Get pissed and misbehave there, or decide you like being an exhibitionist with public sex or get caught with illegal drugs and they won't treat you as kindly as Thais do. Whilst there is a thriving sex industry there, some fantastic opulent hotels and attractions, it's really not a destination for boozy old boy's womanizing or working illegally.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the offenses.

11 minutes ago, Zatoichi said:

Sounds like old Big Joke is targeting the wrong foreigners by going after all the black and brown people. Looks like it's past time for opperation "White Eagle" to start rounding up these thugs before they can cause anymore damage to society.

194 out of 432,000!  And you have no idea of the offenses committed or the visa type of the offenders.

But hey, feel free. 

2 minutes ago, The Teacher said:

iT's all in the percentages, not so much the number of Brits being caught, when you walk down many of the Soi's it's the Brits yelling and generally making a fool of themselves ahead of the rest too

Really. And you go up to these types and check the nationality do you?

Or the world's greatest expert on accents.

And many of "the Sois"  - would that be Bangkok, Pattaya, Chang Mai or other?

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Nonsense.

Tell that to my deceased friend that was murdered, chopped up and burnt in the jungle here. 

Indeed there have been several murders some quite grizzly. And not just of British people. 

However, of the 194 people arrested, I doubt any were murder victims.

Thailand, like most countries in Asia, can be a very dangerous place if you upset the wrong people or are unlucky enough to get targeted by the wrong people. But do you have statistics that shows Thailand is the most dangerous excluding road traffic accidents?

To be fair, I still feel safer here than in many UK cities and towns especially Thursday-Sunday late night early morning. But I felt France, Germany, Netherlands and Abu Dhabi all safer too when living there. Perhaps it's just perceptions of the homeland and knowing it far better. 

13 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Wonder what role arrogant racial entitlement plays in these statistics?

(Phrased rhetorically to avoid being deemed inflammatory.)

Probably about the same as avaricious xenophobia.

3 hours ago, ebean001 said:

Seems like certain people from certain countries look down on Thais and feel very superior to them. this gets them in trouble.

Always remember...this is not not not your country. Be very careful. Do not wrong. They may have a huge punishment for you. It is not your country!!!!

Yes I agree. And the longer they stay here the more they start to look down other expats and feel superior to them too.

The only incident I have had with a policeman in Thailand was out the back of a salon in

Phibun Many, Ubon, where my wifey was having her hair done.

He was waving his revolver worryingly close to my head whilst chatting away happily in

Thai/Laos. He then shouted something over the walk surrounding the backyard and 2 big 

bottles of Leo appeared which he wanted to share with me.

He wouldn't accept payment for the beer, I guess he was playing the long game, and put his gun away

when the ladyboy cutting my wifes hair came out and shouted at him!

Not sure where this anecdote is going, but it is fairly relevent as I'm a Brit.

4 hours ago, petedk said:

That would be terrible. It means that premier league clubs like Liverpool, Man.U., Man. City and Leicester would have to leave half of their players at home when they visit Thailand.

Leeds United are playing two Games in Myanmar this month, Leeds Fans are very well behaved though so it wont be a problem.   :stoner:

Well, having been around MANY Brits, over the years, here in Thailand, it seems they have just NEVER learned how to control their drinking.  MANY are like teenagers when they drink and totally OUT of control and fighting seems to be their way out of a situation.  HOW immature so many of them are.

Archived