Brits behaving badly: UK citizens most likely to get arrested in Thailand

snoop1130

On 01/05/2018 at 1:05 AM, Dmaxdan said:

This is easily rectified. Passport control just needs to deny entry to anyone with a buzz cut hair style, faded tattoos and wearing a premier league football shirt. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Put them in chains and send them to Australia. (It's been done before :)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have been reading Thaivisa for years, and it is obvious that the vast majority of posters are happy about their safety apart from on the roads. 

Personally, I have never had a problem, but I do know of one or two people that have, but just as a matter of interest, from The Nation June 09 2017:

"THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey.

Of the 136 countries around the world covered by the World Economic Forum’s Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report, which was released in April, Thailand sits at 118th with a 4.0 score for safety and security for tourists".

From ThaiVisa on 23 May 2017:-  "From a high of 906,000 visitors in 2013/14 there were only 432,000 British visitors to Thailand in 2015/16."

While I acknowledge that the above figures refer to tourists, and the majority of ThaiVisa readers actually live here, I would imagine that the knowledge that Thailand is not a very safe place is bound to affect people's decisions on where to settle down. I also acknowledge the fact that the figures are a bit out of date, but the trend is very worrying.

Of course the above figures are not TAT statistics, but from the British Government Office for National Statistics!

54 minutes ago, sambum said:

Personally, I have never had a problem, but I do know of one or two people that have, but just as a matter of interest, from The Nation June 09 2017:

"THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey.

Of the 136 countries around the world covered by the World Economic Forum’s Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report, which was released in April, Thailand sits at 118th with a 4.0 score for safety and security for tourists".

From ThaiVisa on 23 May 2017:-  "From a high of 906,000 visitors in 2013/14 there were only 432,000 British visitors to Thailand in 2015/16."

While I acknowledge that the above figures refer to tourists, and the majority of ThaiVisa readers actually live here, I would imagine that the knowledge that Thailand is not a very safe place is bound to affect people's decisions on where to settle down. I also acknowledge the fact that the figures are a bit out of date, but the trend is very worrying.

Of course the above figures are not TAT statistics, but from the British Government Office for National Statistics!

There's nothing like presenting half the facts if you want to bend the truth a little to match your own story!

The number of British tourists visiting Thailand in 2015 was 947k, in 2016 it was 1.1 mill., in 2017 it was over 900k again. You are confusing I think the increase in tourist arrivals which was 4.32%.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourists-nationalities-Thailand-2015.asp

Secondly: the article in the Nation is correct, except it includes Road Traffic Accident deaths, as said earlier, remove those from the equation and the numbers change drastically.

Finally: If you pay close attention you will find that a very large percentage of TVF readers/posters do not live here, although many obviously wish they did, that fact shows up mostly by the sheer lack of knowledge and understanding posters have of Thailand and eventually posters will admit they don't live here - the time of day they post is also another dead give away.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

There's nothing like presenting half the facts if you want to bend the truth a little to match your own story!

The number of British tourists visiting Thailand in 2015 was 947k, in 2016 it was 1.1 mill., in 2017 it was over 900k again. You are confusing I think the increase in tourist arrivals which was 4.32%.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourists-nationalities-Thailand-2015.asp

Secondly: the article in the Nation is correct, except it includes Road Traffic Accident deaths, as said earlier, remove those from the equation and the numbers change drastically.

Finally: If you pay close attention you will find that a very large percentage of TVF readers/posters do not live here, although many obviously wish they did, that fact shows up mostly by the sheer lack of knowledge and understanding posters have of Thailand and eventually posters will admit they don't live here - the time of day they post is also another dead give away.

Presenting the facts as per ThaiVisa and the British Government, or the facts as per TAT?

TAT say in 2016, 1.1 million Brits visited Thailand - ThaiVisa and The British Government say 432.000 - not exactly the same time frame but near enough to notice a significant discrepancy! Also, you only have to look at the number of people on the streets and in the bars in my neck of the woods anyway, and speak to the bar owners/hoteliers to realise that the number of Brit tourists are way down (not just Brits, by the way) but TAT constantly tell us that the figures are up from previous months/years. Have you EVER seen a statement from TAT saying that figures are down? (except possibly during the violence preceding the coup). This road has been down many times, but I know who I would rather believe - TAT have to present a rosy picture or heads will roll to be replaced by people who WILL present a rosy picture! The British Government have no such axe to grind.

I never mentioned "deaths" - why bring "Road Traffic Accident deaths" into it - we are discussing whether people think Thailand is a safe place to live are we not? I refer you to your opening statement in this post - you are mentioning things that are nothing to do with my comments, so YOU are the one who is altering the agenda to match your own story! 

And finally, whether a poster lives in Thailand or Timbuktu doesn't alter their opinion of whether they think Thailand is a safe place to live or not!

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Thailand sits at 118th with a 4.0 score for safety and security for tourists".

Ahhh......this where Thai 4.0 comes from? The General is more perceptive than what most of us give him due credit for.  :smile:

25 minutes ago, sambum said:

Presenting the facts as per ThaiVisa and the British Government, or the facts as per TAT?

TAT say in 2016, 1.1 million Brits visited Thailand - ThaiVisa and The British Government say 432.000 - not exactly the same time frame but near enough to notice a significant discrepancy! Also, you only have to look at the number of people on the streets and in the bars in my neck of the woods anyway, and speak to the bar owners/hoteliers to realise that the number of Brit tourists are way down (not just Brits, by the way) but TAT constantly tell us that the figures are up from previous months/years. Have you EVER seen a statement from TAT saying that figures are down? (except possibly during the violence preceding the coup). This road has been down many times, but I know who I would rather believe - TAT have to present a rosy picture or heads will roll to be replaced by people who WILL present a rosy picture! The British Government have no such axe to grind.

I never mentioned "deaths" - why bring "Road Traffic Accident deaths" into it - we are discussing whether people think Thailand is a safe place to live are we not? I refer you to your opening statement in this post - you are mentioning things that are nothing to do with my comments, so YOU are the one who is altering the agenda to match your own story! 

And finally, whether a poster lives in Thailand or Timbuktu doesn't alter their opinion of whether they think Thailand is a safe place to live or not!

Laughable and squirming at best! Please post the link showing where the British government said there was the number of tourist visitors you claim, most everything else in that post is an attempt to create an escape route from what you wrote..

On 30/4/2561 at 6:54 PM, lonewolf99 said:

It cannot just be Brits coming here to die - nearly every week a Chinese person drowns and the Ozzies manage to mangle themselves on a regular basis.

What they should report is that other than war zones LoS is the deadliest place for any visitor.....though most of the time self inflicted...
especially on balconies according to the Police and the (ex) Girlfriend.

"It cannot just be Brits coming here to die - nearly every week a Chinese person drowns"
They missed the swimming lessons :huh:

Brits, you know you cant handle your liquor. You want to fight and sing regardless of who doesn't like it. Love lookin at the The Sun and othe UK pub's when you have those drunken weekends pissing and vomiting in the streets. Good Fun for all hey what! 

The Ball tampering dig or high number of Brits visiting wont wash.

The facts speak for themselves. The figures are per 100K and the Brits win the gold medal for trouble.

They could learn a lot from the wonderful law abiding Australians that through superior intelligence and honesty have much lower incarceration rates than the Brits and are much preferred and loved by the average Thai citizenry, especially the ladies due to their superior wit, charm and lovemaking skills which come quite naturally to the average Australian male.

18 minutes ago, sambum said:

They can have any opinion they want but their opinions have little or no validity.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Laughable and squirming at best! Please post the link showing where the British government said there was the number of tourist visitors you claim, most everything else in that post is an attempt to create an escape route from what you wrote..

Anything to oblige - presumably this is where ThaiVisa also got their information!:-

Stats on British visitors to Thailand
Year Number of visits Drug Arrests Total Arrests/ Detentions Total Deaths Hospitalisations Rape and Sexual Assault

2012-13 870,164 36 188 389 285 13
2013-14 906,312 29 153 362 267 17
2014-15 392,000 34 160 348 240 7
2015-16 432,000 46 194 374 229 13

Data is from 1 April to 31 March for each year

Most recent data is 01 April 2015 to 31 March 2016

2015-16 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/580501/161223_FCO_HBNA_Report__Double_Pages_.pdf   

On 5/1/2018 at 11:13 AM, possum1931 said:

Apart from the road traffic deaths, Thailand is still one of the safest countries in the world.

Sorry about your friend, but there is no country in the world that does not have murders.

6 hours ago, sambum said:
Anything to oblige - presumably this is where ThaiVisa also got their information!:-

Stats on British visitors to Thailand
Year Number of visits Drug Arrests Total Arrests/ Detentions Total Deaths Hospitalisations Rape and Sexual Assault

2012-13 870,164 36 188 389 285 13
2013-14 906,312 29 153 362 267 17
2014-15 392,000 34 160 348 240 7
2015-16 432,000 46 194 374 229 13

Data is from 1 April to 31 March for each year

Most recent data is 01 April 2015 to 31 March 2016

2015-16 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/580501/161223_FCO_HBNA_Report__Double_Pages_.pdf   

There's something very odd with those numbers, the volume of visitors decreases by 50% between 13/14 and 14/15 yet the number of arrests, hospitalisations and total deaths remains proportionately the same. 

My second observation is to question the source of the "number of visits" figures, UK gov. (ONS) doesn't have the ability to track the number of Brits entering Thailand hence they have either modelled the numbers or they have obtained them from a secondary source, the question is where. Whichever way you look at those numbers they are very different from any being reported by sources who actually have the first-hand capability to count UK visitors entering the country hence I am more than slightly suspicious of them. Whilst Wiki doesn't have a first hand counting capability their numbers are typical of the many sources out there reporting such things and are deeply at odds with what HM Gov. is reporting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

17 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

There's something very odd with those numbers, the volume of visitors decreases by 50% between 13/14 and 14/15 yet the number of arrests, hospitalisations and total deaths remains proportionately the same. 

My second observation is to question the source of the "number of visits" figures, UK gov. (ONS) doesn't have the ability to track the number of Brits entering Thailand hence they have either modelled the numbers or they have obtained them from a secondary source, the question is where. Whichever way you look at those numbers they are very different from any being reported by sources who actually have the first-hand capability to count UK visitors entering the country hence I am more than slightly suspicious of them. Whilst Wiki doesn't have a first hand counting capability their numbers are typical of the many sources out there reporting such things and are deeply at odds with what HM Gov. is reporting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

The figures are based on ONS data coming from here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/datasets/ukresidentsvisitsabroad

Which, as the title suggests, is actually for UK residents visits abroad.

Digging a bit deeper the relevant data file is for the period 2012-2016 with tab 3.16 giving the Thailand figures of 392k (2014) and 432k (2015).Both these figures appearing in the table in the earlier post (the source for the higher figures for the initial two years  in the table is not clear but do not come from the ONS data) .

These figures include not just UK nationals but also other nationals - as clearly analysed in the file. In addition the index to the data file mentions 'by main country visited'. So clearly excludes those who are visiting a number of countries.

It is also likely that, as it is based only on UK departures, it may only pick up first transit stop, so those travelling via the ME will have, say, UAE as their country visited.

It also, of course, excludes any Brits who are travelling to Thailand from another country, either their non UK base or because it is part of a multi country itinerary.

As you rightly mention the UK will not be able to count UK nationals entering another country and the data file is clearly a UK based data collection.

Whilst the final document produced looks nice and shiny it only tells part of the story. Especially as it does mention, in the Introduction, that non UK based UK nationals are also 'looked after' by FCO consulor staff, correctly implying that these are not included in the stats.

All in all, anyone using these figures as the basis for any rational discussion on numbers of UK nationals visiting Thailand is just wasting their time.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, evadgib said:

Colonial airs? That's right up there with 'we' when referring to 1776 against the people you're slagging off yet when challenged your own geneology footprint in the US vanishes prior to 1945. 

With a surname like South and mother's maiden name like Steed, my family doesn't have much trouble tracing its roots. As for "geneology footprint," that sounds a lot like bigotry. Got news for you-- first, the English came over in 1620, not 1776. Second, Britain is all about the past. P.S. Don't bother searching Facebook--there's another South, with a Thai wife. That's not me. 

On 4/30/2018 at 4:07 PM, taipan1949 said:

Maybe when Brits see rampaging illegal immigrants running around England and the cops do nothing about it they might think they should be able to do this in Thailand??

A lot of self-appointed Sharia patrols, right? At least recently; don't know about now.

On 5/1/2018 at 2:51 AM, SupermarineS6B said:

It's because it's about time we took back the one third of the world that we used to run while the rest of the world couldn't even run a bath...... Remember the British had an empire that ruled for four hundred years when the likes of America and Australia didn't even exist......... Apart from the Abos and Indians...... Viva Brexit !!!!! 

Britain's all about the past, and the sun has set on your empire. Deal with it, I'd suggest. And we all need to deal with the emerging great empire of China, because their SOP is to interfere in our freedom of speech even in the West. The more they can censor, the happier they are. I don't know which is worse, Russia's fake news or China's censorship. At least we in the West know how to identify our faults, try to correct them, and can say anything we want. And in the U.S. it's very difficult for a public figure to win a defamation suit, thanks to First Amendment protections of the "little guy" from the rich and powerful.

3 hours ago, dabhand said:

The figures are based on ONS data coming from here:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/datasets/ukresidentsvisitsabroad

Which, as the title suggests, is actually for UK residents visits abroad.

Digging a bit deeper the relevant data file is for the period 2012-2016 with tab 3.16 giving the Thailand figures of 392k (2014) and 432k (2015).Both these figures appearing in the table in the earlier post (the source for the higher figures for the initial two years  in the table is not clear but do not come from the ONS data) .

These figures include not just UK nationals but also other nationals - as clearly analysed in the file. In addition the index to the data file mentions 'by main country visited'. So clearly excludes those who are visiting a number of countries.

It is also likely that, as it is based only on UK departures, it may only pick up first transit stop, so those travelling via the ME will have, say, UAE as their country visited.

It also, of course, excludes any Brits who are travelling to Thailand from another country, either their non UK base or because it is part of a multi country itinerary.

As you rightly mention the UK will not be able to count UK nationals entering another country and the data file is clearly a UK based data collection.

Whilst the final document produced looks nice and shiny it only tells part of the story. Especially as it does mention, in the Introduction, that non UK based UK nationals are also 'looked after' by FCO consulor staff, correctly implying that these are not included in the stats.

All in all, anyone using these figures as the basis for any rational discussion on numbers of UK nationals visiting Thailand is just wasting their time.

Well spotted that man!

11 hours ago, sambum said:

Let me expand on these two points: Several newspaper articles and surveys have described Thailand as an extremely dangerous place, your quote from the Nation exemplifies this, "THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey". Reading that headline gives readers the idea that the country is dangerous because of high rates of crime and violence, which it isn't, not for westerners at least and the statistics posted earlier prove that. The country is however dangerous because of the exceedingly high number of road traffic accident (RTA)  deaths which is a well known fact. So trying to confuse RTA deaths with the dangerous levels of crime and violence paints a very misleading and unfair picture which is plain wrong.

Secondly, very large numbers of TVF posters are Thailand wannabees but actually live back home and visit here as circumstances permit, their knowledge of the workings of the country and its culture is, as a result, very low. Thailand has long been a target of the UK tabloids since they are able to conjure up large numbers of articles using sex or and drugs as a central theme, papers like The Express, The Sun and the Daily Mail have extensive readership but have very poor reputations when it comes to fact and integrity, the Daily Mail is banned in Thailand because of this. Because of these things, many TVF readers formulate their impressions of Thailand from fiction rather than fact which they then reinforce when they visit Pattaya and Phuket for three weeks each year, uninformed internet blogs add to this misperception - anyone who has lived here for an extended period will have met such people who claim to live in Thailand, know all about the country and speak Thai, but are in fact Walter Mitty types who are tourists with a Thailand obsession! So yes, it does matter about where and how people form their opinion of Thailand and on what basis, simply because so very many plain and simply don't know the facts of the place. 

14 hours ago, Hugh Lao said:

The facts speak for themselves. The figures are per 100K and the Brits win the gold medal for trouble.

They could learn a lot from the wonderful law abiding Australians that through superior intelligence and honesty have much lower incarceration rates than the Brits and are much preferred and loved by the average Thai citizenry, especially the ladies due to their superior wit, charm and lovemaking skills which come quite naturally to the average Australian male.

Ur right mate. :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Let me expand on these two points: Several newspaper articles and surveys have described Thailand as an extremely dangerous place, your quote from the Nation exemplifies this, "THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey". Reading that headline gives readers the idea that the country is dangerous because of high rates of crime and violence, which it isn't, not for westerners at least and the statistics posted earlier prove that. The country is however dangerous because of the exceedingly high number of road traffic accident (RTA)  deaths which is a well known fact. So trying to confuse RTA deaths with the dangerous levels of crime and violence paints a very misleading and unfair picture which is plain wrong.

Secondly, very large numbers of TVF posters are Thailand wannabees but actually live back home and visit here as circumstances permit, their knowledge of the workings of the country and its culture is, as a result, very low. Thailand has long been a target of the UK tabloids since they are able to conjure up large numbers of articles using sex or and drugs as a central theme, papers like The Express, The Sun and the Daily Mail have extensive readership but have very poor reputations when it comes to fact and integrity, the Daily Mail is banned in Thailand because of this. Because of these things, many TVF readers formulate their impressions of Thailand from fiction rather than fact which they then reinforce when they visit Pattaya and Phuket for three weeks each year, uninformed internet blogs add to this misperception - anyone who has lived here for an extended period will have met such people who claim to live in Thailand, know all about the country and speak Thai, but are in fact Walter Mitty types who are tourists with a Thailand obsession! So yes, it does matter about where and how people form their opinion of Thailand and on what basis, simply because so very many plain and simply don't know the facts of the place. 

From the ThaiVisa/British Government statement:- "with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services" NOTHING AT ALL to do with RTA's (Road Traffic Accidents) !!! "HIGH RATES OF CRIME AND VIOLENCE" is what it says. Neither I or the article mention  RTA's - just you!

Also, your second paragraph is about something you have brought into the discussion - not me, so once again you are altering the context of the discussion to get your points across  - if you you want to make a post about "Thailand wannabees", then you are perfectly entitled to do so, but don't hijack this thread with your opinions.

Actually, we are already far enough off topic with our disagreement about whether Thailand is safe or not - I only mentioned it as a point of interest to another poster who said that the majority of the posters on here are happy with their safety. The thread is actually about "Brits behaving badly: UK citizens most likely to get arrested in Thailand", so I suggest that we stick to that subject.  

40 minutes ago, sambum said:

From the ThaiVisa/British Government statement:- "with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services" NOTHING AT ALL to do with RTA's (Road Traffic Accidents) !!! "HIGH RATES OF CRIME AND VIOLENCE" is what it says. Neither I or the article mention  RTA's - just you!

Also, your second paragraph is about something you have brought into the discussion - not me, so once again you are altering the context of the discussion to get your points across  - if you you want to make a post about "Thailand wannabees", then you are perfectly entitled to do so, but don't hijack this thread with your opinions.

Actually, we are already far enough off topic with our disagreement about whether Thailand is safe or not - I only mentioned it as a point of interest to another poster who said that the majority of the posters on here are happy with their safety. The thread is actually about "Brits behaving badly: UK citizens most likely to get arrested in Thailand", so I suggest that we stick to that subject.  

It's not about what you're quoting now, it's about what you quoted earlier which was, ""THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey".

Danger leads to death, death statistics are therefore important to the argument, the major component of those statistics is RTA deaths, are you getting there on this yet!

21 hours ago, Hugh Lao said:

Did you understand the article ?

The article is solely about Brits abroad and its not a comparison between Brits and other Nationals

46 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It's not about what you're quoting now, it's about what you quoted earlier which was, ""THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, according to a recent survey".

Danger leads to death, death statistics are therefore important to the argument, the major component of those statistics is RTA deaths, are you getting there on this yet!

Pointless discussing this further with you - for the last time - I quoted "high rates of crime and violence"  - you are obsessed with the fact that RTA  accidents account for a high proportion of deaths - that's not what I was talking about then, or what I am talking about now - I was talking about "THAILAND HAS been ranked as one of the 20 most dangerous countries in the world for tourists, with high rates of crime and violence and low reliability of police services, are you getting there on this yet? Oh, @#$ it! :mfr_closed1:

17 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

With a surname like South and mother's maiden name like Steed, my family doesn't have much trouble tracing its roots. As for "geneology footprint," that sounds a lot like bigotry. Got news for you-- first, the English came over in 1620, not 1776. Second, Britain is all about the past. P.S. Don't bother searching Facebook--there's another South, with a Thai wife. That's not me. 

Your families roots include several who hadn't set foot in the Americas until well into the 20th century.

And how did Virginia come about, given it was named after a monarch who died almost 2 decades before the mayflower set sail...by a bloke from my home town?

On 4/30/2018 at 6:54 PM, lonewolf99 said:

It cannot just be Brits coming here to die - nearly every week a Chinese person drowns and the Ozzies manage to mangle themselves on a regular basis.

What they should report is that other than war zones LoS is the deadliest place for any visitor.....though most of the time self inflicted...
especially on balconies according to the Police and the (ex) Girlfriend.

"It cannot just be Brits coming here to die"

Did you read that in the OP?    

I completely missed that claim.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-05-01 at 1:44 PM, sambum said:

No - you're reading it all wrong! It doesn't mean that Brits are behaving more badly - it means that Brits are more likely to be arrested - other nationalities are just better at buying their way out of trouble!

haha, the tragic part is, you were actually serious...

8 hours ago, clockwork said:

haha, the tragic part is, you were actually serious...

Thank you for your belated appreciation! Indeed, it was said partly tongue in cheek, but also with a serious undertone!

The way most anti Brit posters are reading it is that Brits are the most likely nationality to be arrested in Thailand i.e the most likely to cause trouble. That is not what the post is stating. It is saying that Brits are more likely to be arrested in Thailand than any where else, implying that the BIB have "got it in" for Brits :-

"British nationals are more likely to be arrested in Thailand than in any other overseas country,"

Archived