Brits behaving badly: UK citizens most likely to get arrested in Thailand

snoop1130

50 minutes ago, sambum said:

What offends me is the way that this post singles out "Brits behaving badly" 

The reason for it is, hmm, well, because Brits are behaving badly, more so than others, it doesn't mean others can't behave bad as well, it just means, Brits behave more bad than others...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Really "99% of the times"?

Oh, I've told you a MILLION times, stop exaggerating. :smile::smile:

(be cool)

You ALWAYS questions and comment other peoples posts. Like every single day, every single post...

;)

27 minutes ago, clockwork said:

The reason for it is, hmm, well, because Brits are behaving badly, more so than others, it doesn't mean others can't behave bad as well, it just means, Brits behave more bad than others...

No - you're reading it all wrong! It doesn't mean that Brits are behaving more badly - it means that Brits are more likely to be arrested - other nationalities are just better at buying their way out of trouble!

7 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Nonsense.

Again, all evidence says otherwise. As does the government, consular services, media and insurance companies. 

I have hundreds of articles from all of the above I can post here to refute your statement.

Chai Yo!

:WPFflags:

8 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Nonsense.

Again, all evidence says otherwise. As does the government, consular services, media and insurance companies. 

I have hundreds of articles from all of the above I can post here to refute your statement.

Chai Yo!

:WPFflags:

I don't care what any evidence says, I say that Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world, and I also say that the vast majority of Thaivisa members will agree with me.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

No - you're reading it all wrong! It doesn't mean that Brits are behaving more badly - it means that Brits are more likely to be arrested - other nationalities are just better at buying their way out of trouble!

Very true. 

2 hours ago, clockwork said:

You ALWAYS questions and comment other peoples posts. Like every single day, every single post

;)

Oooops.................you missed the joke (or the irony). So sad, too bad, never mind. :smile:

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I don't care what any evidence says, I say that Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world, and I also say that the vast majority of Thaivisa members will agree with me.

"I say, I say" How do you know what other people agree or disagree with?

6 hours ago, Yann55 said:

Interesting... where I live (in Jomtien) you would be somewhat exceptional.

What I keep witnessing, after 14 years of residence here, is nationalities hanging out together, and ignoring other nationalities. The only thing these groups have in common is a high propensity to criticize Thailand and Thais, making fun of them and looking down on them.

When I first moved to Jomtien, knowing that many countries were represented among the expat 'community' (note: there is no such thing), I naively expected to make friends from many different countries. As it turns out, that in fact is a rather difficult task because groups from other countries tend to keep you at arms length, and make it clear that you're not welcome in their midst.

If you go to PCEC you will find all kinds of nationalities.  However,  it is English Language based.

Doesn't surprise me coming from Nottingham. I'm sorry guys, the Russians are in a different league, but at least we share some common values. The Americans are in a different Universe. Ha!

On 4/30/2018 at 9:19 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Brits arrested  have failed to grasp laws and punishments  in some country's they visit are draconian in comparison to what they enjoy. I would say brexit hasn't helped to attitude wise either.             (flack coming). 

Ack-ack my 1st volley///

Give me strength, what the <deleted> has this got to do with Brexit?

On 4/30/2018 at 7:15 PM, robblok said:

These numbers are useless if they don't compare it to people from other countries in relation to visitor numbers. 

It is a misleading (and bad) headline that implies the British are the worst behaved tourists in Thailand, when the article is not about that, as you say, since it gives no comparisons with other tourist groups.

It should read:

Thailand: most frequent place British tourists get arrested.

:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, sambum said:

"I say, I say" How do you know what other people agree or disagree with?

I have been reading Thaivisa for years, and it is obvious that the vast majority of posters are happy about their safety apart from on the roads. 

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have been reading Thaivisa for years, and it is obvious that the vast majority of posters are happy about their safety apart from on the roads. 

Exactly! I cannot recall in fifteen years of reading TVF ever reading of a single foreigner who thought that safety here, other than on the roads, is a real issue that would affect their decision to live or remain here or even restrict their activities or cause them worry, not one. There's a fair amount of background chatter on the subject from time to time, typically by newbies and/or following a high profile event, at which time everyone who's never thought about the subject and knows nothing about it, quickly concludes the place is more unsafe than Los Cabos.

18 hours ago, Yann55 said:

Interesting... where I live (in Jomtien) you would be somewhat exceptional.

What I keep witnessing, after 14 years of residence here, is nationalities hanging out together, and ignoring other nationalities. The only thing these groups have in common is a high propensity to criticize Thailand and Thais, making fun of them and looking down on them.

When I first moved to Jomtien, knowing that many countries were represented among the expat 'community' (note: there is no such thing), I naively expected to make friends from many different countries. As it turns out, that in fact is a rather difficult task because groups from other countries tend to keep you at arms length, and make it clear that you're not welcome in their midst.

I might be an exception, but is see the same with many of my younger Dutch friends. They mingle much better a few live in Pattaya and have a mixed group of friends. They are like me looking at like minded people not nationalities. Of course the older Dutch (older of any nation) are in general a lot less flexible maybe not as good in languages as the younger generations. I really think that older people are far more nationality bound then the younger more international people. (hope I did not offend anyone here)

Also the criticizing Thais, I always feel as if that is because the guy never amounted to much them selves blue collar workers and now they have some money they can look down on someone else and they like it. Not saying that some criticizing is not deserved because it is but many people take it too far.  

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Exactly! I cannot recall in fifteen years of reading TVF ever reading of a single foreigner who thought that safety here, other than on the roads, is a real issue that would affect their decision to live or remain here or even restrict their activities or cause them worry, not one. There's a fair amount of background chatter on the subject from time to time, typically by newbies and/or following a high profile event, at which time everyone who's never thought about the subject and knows nothing about it, quickly concludes the place is more unsafe than Los Cabos.

I got the same feeling, but then again I am not a Thaibasher. Anyway yes it can be dangerous here there are idiots here but the news makes it all look far worse they are obsessed by violence and stuff in the news.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

I got the same feeling, but then again I am not a Thaibasher. Anyway yes it can be dangerous here there are idiots here but the news makes it all look far worse they are obsessed by violence and stuff in the news.

Yes agreed. If a person wants dangerous and goes in search of such things it's easily found, but who in their right mind would do such things, apart from maybe a handful of TVF posters - you know who you are.:post-4641-1156694572:

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Does the 'expectation' of improving standards equate to Thai bashing? 

12 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

No, you will see i have problems with Thais too. I just don't write down the fragile male Thai ego every time some violence of a Thai gets in the news or condemn all Thais for the action of one. Just like I don't see all Brits as potential woman killers or all Dutch as pedo's, or all Americans as spree killers ect. 

There is a line between normal critisism and tarring everyone with the same brush. 

On 30/04/2018 at 6:54 PM, lonewolf99 said:

It cannot just be Brits coming here to die - nearly every week a Chinese person drowns and the Ozzies manage to mangle themselves on a regular basis.

What they should report is that other than war zones LoS is the deadliest place for any visitor.....though most of the time self inflicted...
especially on balconies according to the Police and the (ex) Girlfriend.

And, as the statistics are already two years out of date, why is this 'news' now?

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Ack-ack my 1st volley///

Give me strength, what the <deleted> has this got to do with Brexit?

These statistics were based on data prior to the Brexit referendum.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:25 AM, Expatthailover said:

Ye gods..I cant believe a voting age adult could write that and worse..believe it to be a rational excuse for bad behaviour.

Exactly and if it is the laws, the interpretation of and the police that are the problem, why is it that the majority of tourists from all countries visiting Thailand never have a problem.?

Look closely at the individuals concerned and you find the answer.

I suspect that they will be problem wherever they visit.

20 hours ago, clockwork said:

Why am I not surprised? 

This is my experience as well. Glad to see some stats to back it up.

Not saying all Brits are bad, they are obviously not, but when there is trouble and some aggressive loud mouth tattooed drunk dude with a bad attitude is involved, it sure as hell 99% of the times, is a Brit!

Where have you personally witnessed this? Which bar area? Which beach?. Which club? 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

No, you will see i have problems with Thais too. I just don't write down the fragile male Thai ego every time some violence of a Thai gets in the news or condemn all Thais for the action of one. Just like I don't see all Brits as potential woman killers or all Dutch as pedo's, or all Americans as spree killers ect. 

There is a line between normal critisism and tarring everyone with the same brush. 

I was not criticising you at all - nothing personal. Was just the opportunity to pose the question.

And I agree with your comments on post #178.

2 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Possibly if you do not make criticisms of your own and other countries. You are referring to an aspirational future selectively and thus with out context. Who are you to define and dictate standards? Nobody- until we know where you come from and the fault lines in your society. 

Archived