Where To Get Motorbike Chain Lube..?

Thanh-BKK

Hello :o

This is a question for all who drive a motorbike in Bangkok and do a bit of self-servicing.

I have just been to EIGHT different motorbike- and accessories shops, trying to get ordinary chain lube for my trusty old Yamaha. To no avail!

They try to sell me anything from WD-40 to two-stroke oil to put on the chain. No thanks, that stuff won't stay on the chain and i don't want it all over my rear wheel.

So where in Bangkok can i get any brand of REAL motorbike chain lube, which is made for that exact purpose? I don't care if it's a spray (like the one i used brand "Kemex PTFL" which was quite good) or the type that has to be applied with a small brush (like i used back in Germany).

One other thing, i have very often found that is as good as impossible to find even the most basic maintenance things or accessories here in Bangkok - i can't, for example, get a cover for my bike (a Yamaha RXZ) that is actually large enough for an RXZ even tough it mentiones "RXZ" on the package. I bought three of the ###### things, all too small, and of course they would not take them back and refund the money. Also halfway decent tools i can't seem to find, not even in stores like "Home Pro" which are supposed to sell just that, tools. The crap they sell in places like Tesco's breaks during first use. And a rain overall (like you get them in just about every motorbike shop and supermarket in Germany) that actually covers the whole body seems to be non-existent in Thailand as well.

Thanks in advance for any advise......

your Thanh

I know what you mean. I tried to find chain lube in Hua Hin once, and they gave me silicon lube instead.

We use a black can of VELOil - red stripe near the top, blue lettering plainly saying 'chain lube.'

I ordered my bike cover from Dennis Kirk dot com, but they delivered it to the USA. A member of ThaiVisa brought me a full raincover from London, and I bought my Ducati rainsuit in Houston, after they didn't have one at Lyle Lovett's old Yamaha dealership. The smallest Dennis Kirk cover fits both a CBR150 and a Phantom 200.

Aren't there shops in Panthip Plaza in BKK, where they also sell European helmets? Might cost you an arm and a leg, though.

If you can't get any 'chain lube', you can use ordinary grease. The only problem it has is that it flies off everywhere when you ride. The solution to this was to put the chain & grease into a metal tray & heat them. The grease goes very soft & penetrates well into the chain joints. When coil, wipe off excess with a rag.

I used to use a graphite lube when I was racing moto-x.

Thanks in advance for any advise......

buy a car........

or

go to a m/cycle repair shop and ask for "jarabee" and point to the chain.

Wow now THAT was helpful...... for a start, it is helpful to READ my post first before answering.... i have been not only to one but to EIGHT shops that sell motorbikes and motorbike accessories (and three of them do repairs too, i forgot to mention that), yet NONE had the chain lube or anything similar.

And yes, i already HAVE a car as well, a Volvo 460 if you're interested to know. But i don't like to waste three hours to get from A to B when i can get there in 15 minutes with the motorbike.

@PeaceBlondie:

Due to lack of credit cards i have no ability to order anything online. Where did you get that Veloil stuff? I haven't seen any shop in Panthip selling motorbike stuff, i go there regularly to get computer parts..... i've been all around Udomsuk today where there are plenty of shops selling accessories and spare parts and theyt have all sorts of oils but no chain lube - they try to talk me into using WD-40 or even ordinary two-stroke oil. That might help for an hour but then the stuff is on my rear wheel and the chain is dry again.

@ elkangorito

Thanks for that, i know this method from a shop i worked at in Germany (i'm a certified mechanic), they did that with high-performance chains for superbikes :o However i have no possibilities to get that arranged - no stove to heat grease on (won't work in a microwave, 555) and then i'd need to take the chain off the bike which is 1) work and 2) dirty! My boyfriend would lynch me when i bring that thing up into the room! I normally just spray the chain with the stuff i had before around every couple of weeks or so (once a week in the rain season) but now i've run out of the spray and it is "no longer available" according to the shop where i got that in first place, around a year ago.

@ HDRIDER

Thanks a lot for that! Tough it doesn't (of course....) indicate which shop sells or has in stock chain lube, it is still nice to have that list for when i'm looking for parts - difficult enough to get decent stuff for something as old as an RXZ :D

With kind regards.....

your Thanh

Try Fast Corner and MotoZone, both can be found on the link in #4. Finding most accessories for bikes here is difficult to impossible - its a price you pay for having something other than a Mio or Phantom. I would suggest Ebay, but you need a paypal account. The best other option is to have friends load up before they return from overseas.

Thanh, we're in Chiang Mai; I'm not sure where my boyfriend finds the VelOil. I remember one guy almost got divorced by his wife because he used to disassemble 750cc engines (Crosley's!!) in the kitchen sink.

It's difficult when you can't get parts over the internet, or imported. I was stuck in a hurricane once on the Texas Gulf coast without wiring in my English Ford, and there was a strike at the Ford dealers. The old German mechanic just hand wired the whole thing. After the hurricane.

I'd keep trying the local dealers. I don't know about Bangkok, but maybe it's that fancy mall where they sell Shoei helmets. Those are too showy for me, though. :o

Hello :o

This is a question for all who drive a motorbike in Bangkok and do a bit of self-servicing.

I have just been to EIGHT different motorbike- and accessories shops, trying to get ordinary chain lube for my trusty old Yamaha. To no avail!

They try to sell me anything from WD-40 to two-stroke oil to put on the chain. No thanks, that stuff won't stay on the chain and i don't want it all over my rear wheel.

So where in Bangkok can i get any brand of REAL motorbike chain lube, which is made for that exact purpose? I don't care if it's a spray (like the one i used brand "Kemex PTFL" which was quite good) or the type that has to be applied with a small brush (like i used back in Germany).

It doesn't seem to be available in Thailand. At least, I've never been able to find it. It all results in poor chain maintenance and in chain changes needed a lot more often than would normally be expected. Fortunately, chain prices aren't as expensive as in Europe.

If anyone knows where to find it, the information would be welcome and thanked.

Edited by besth

Hello once again :o

Thanks for all the replies....... i apreciate them. As for not driving a Mio, well the RXZ is a fairly standard bike here, it is old but reliable and often used to carry heavy loads, it seems to be the favourite transport for those guys hauling those 2 kg gas bottles, two or three of them, on a RXZ or a Kawasaki GTO with special gas-bottle-rack on the rear :D

I too don't want to have to change the chain every couple of months if with some lube it easily lasts for two years - i make only about 10.000 km in a year in Bangkok city traffic.

@PeaceBlondie

My boyfriend's parents live in Chiang Mai, so he gets there a few times per year.... if you could find out where that Veloil stuff is sold, i could get him to bring me a dozen bottles next time he goes up there :D

For now, i have "specially ordered" the Kemex stuff at the shop where i got that from in first place, that guy seems to order it from Japan! Will take a couple of weeks for it to arrive, but better than nothing :D

With kind regards.....

your Thanh

Precha Tanayont, a big bike place on Sirinthon Road (next road up from Pinklao), sells Motul Chain Lube in aerosol cans, one for race and one for road. Also some of the big bike shops around Charan Sanitwong soi 20 also sell the stuff. It goes for about 400 baht a can.

I haven't looked for it in any of the big bike places in central BKK but I'm sure most would stock it. There's also a Thai website that sells it online (I think). 118bikes.com.

Thanh,

When your BF is next in Chiang Mai, send him down Chang Moi road (off the east side of the moat with "Mike's Burgers" on the corner) past 2 sois on the right and just before he gets to the 3rd soi on the right (with Thai Military bank on the corner) there is a bike shop that DEFINITELY sells Veloil as I bought a can a couple of weeks back. If you want something more heavy duty, try Chiang Mai Moto-X which is on the N.E corner of the moat (on the inside) as they may have something but am unsure.

Cheers & good luck!

Pikey. (Honda XR400 Supermoto owner :o )

Thanh,

When your BF is next in Chiang Mai, send him down Chang Moi road (off the east side of the moat with "Mike's Burgers" on the corner) past 2 sois on the right and just before he gets to the 3rd soi on the right (with Thai Military bank on the corner) there is a bike shop that DEFINITELY sells Veloil as I bought a can a couple of weeks back. If you want something more heavy duty, try Chiang Mai Moto-X which is on the N.E corner of the moat (on the inside) as they may have something but am unsure.

Cheers & good luck!

Pikey. (Honda XR400 Supermoto owner :o )

Hello Jeff, remember me? Alex, bought your Yamaha 1200.. did you know the chain on Yam was a goldlink special?? i didnt know till i treated it to a birthday!! washed it with diesel, that cleaned it a treat!! took about an hour, then dried it of with old towel, then as we do in UK, painted it with heavy duty transmission oil, ep90 or 140, sticks like shit to a blanket, now, on the center stand, the wheel turns nice and easy,My brother in UK sent me clutch slave cyl seal kit, done that today, hopefully will not leak anymore, I had time to look at original exhausts you sold me with bike last week, they are off a K1 750 Honda, Alex,,

Alex,

Nice to hear from you mate. Nope, had no idea that the chain was a goldlink as I only put about 3000km on the bike in the year I had it due to work commitments so just lubed it before & after riding.

Yes, EP140 tranny oil applied with a toothbrush is another good lube and mate, it's bloody sticky!

K1 Honda exhausts? Seems like I probably picked up the wrong ones from the shop. let's get this sorted. Give me a day or two to discover how the mixup happened and dig out the originals, then we can meet again in Uttaradit to swap them - and have a beer and chat this time :o . Still have your number so will buzz you when i have the info. Very sorry about that and hope that apart from what you mentioned, you are happy with the bike?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Thanh,

That shop on Chang Moi sounds like Prida, where I bought a real Nolan helmet made in Italy, for my size 7 7/8 head, for 1,500 baht. He seems to have a huge inventory. My Chiang Mai BF has fallen asleep, so I'll send a PM to Thanh tomorrow.

Alex,

Nice to hear from you mate. Nope, had no idea that the chain was a goldlink as I only put about 3000km on the bike in the year I had it due to work commitments so just lubed it before & after riding.

Yes, EP140 tranny oil applied with a toothbrush is another good lube and mate, it's bloody sticky!

K1 Honda exhausts? Seems like I probably picked up the wrong ones from the shop. let's get this sorted. Give me a day or two to discover how the mixup happened and dig out the originals, then we can meet again in Uttaradit to swap them - and have a beer and chat this time :o . Still have your number so will buzz you when i have the info. Very sorry about that and hope that apart from what you mentioned, you are happy with the bike?

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi Pikey, thanks for your call today, and I agree with you, we both had a long way to travel that day and being falangs it was very hot for us, we just wanted to do deal and get in air con trucks and go home!! I didnt notice pipes were honda till last week, was looking for something to do, so cleaned silencers ect, they look soo similar to the Yamaha standard setup, i didnt question them at the time, im sure you feel the same, its very good of you to send me original pipes, I can send Honda pipes and silencers back if you want, or perhaps there is somebody in this forum who wants them?? thanks Jeff, bye for now, Alex.

PB,

don't know the name of the shop but it's run by a really nice and helpful Chinese/Thai gentleman and always has hoardes of dreams/waves e.t.c outside. Prob is the same shop but there are 2 or 3 on Chang Moi plus bicycle shops too so Thanh may find the lube in one of the others too.

Alex,

no probs for the pipes and sorry again I picked up the wrong ones. Will source a stout box and send the correct ones, although it won't be next week as I have a mate & his wife visiting. Don't worry about sending the Honda ones back - maybe just start a topic in this forum offering them for free if the buyer pays postage.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

PB,

don't know the name of the shop but it's run by a really nice and helpful Chinese/Thai gentleman and always has hoardes of dreams/waves e.t.c outside. Prob is the same shop but there are 2 or 3 on Chang Moi plus bicycle shops too so Thanh may find the lube in one of the others too.

Alex,

no probs for the pipes and sorry again I picked up the wrong ones. Will source a stout box and send the correct ones, although it won't be next week as I have a mate & his wife visiting. Don't worry about sending the Honda ones back - maybe just start a topic in this forum offering them for free if the buyer pays postage.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Ok Jeff, thanks for that, yes, good idea to advertise pipes, might be somebody got a rotted or holed pipe or silencer, hope your mates enjoy Chang Mai, all the best, Alex & Pan,,

• 3 months later...

Today, we were all out of the VelOil chain lube that's obviously for motorcycles, and boyfriend went out to some shop in Chiang Mai. Not only did they sell him a spray can of VelOil, but they conned him into buying the WD40-type of synthetic lubricant that's good on door hinges, etc. - basically what I got in Hua Hin. He read the label instructions in Thai and assured me the word 'gear' was in there somewhere. But when I read the label in Spanish, it said nothing about 'engranaje.'

Maybe WD40 would work?

PB,

You could use wd40 or red diesel as a cleaning/releasing agent, but i doubt your chain is that bad!!

I clean my chain {Yamaha XJR 1200cc } with red diesel, wiped with a rag, just turn the back wheel until all the links and rollers apear clean and dry, then use a paintbrush to apply 90/140grade heavy duty tranmission oil, about 80bht 1ltr, depending on ks, i usually do this once a month,

Something to try,, put bike on center-stand, turn back wheel and mentally note how it turns, then just wash/clean chain and see how much easier it turns, apply trans oil and away you go!! might want to put an old rag/towel under the chain for a day or two cos it drip on your floor,

Washing chain is important whichever lube you use, i find these super sticky chainlubes do just that, and all the dust and road crap is even harder to wash off.

Hope this helps, Lickey.

I'm sure Red Baron out on Ramkaenghang has chain lube. also had a couple of different grades of fork oil amongst everything else. They could probably get you anything like that you need.

I don't bother. Chains are cheap and cheaply built. I just ask for a new chain every now and then.

[/quote/

I have to bother TC, a chain and sprocket set for my bike would cost in excess of B10,000. if i didnt, it would cost me this every 6000ks,

Plus if it breaks, can do untold damage to the gear/engine casings, not being sure what bike PB has or cares for it, i think i gave the best advice for chain-care,

Happy biking, Lickey.

In almost 44K kilometers, I've gone through a couple of chain and sprocket sets that set me back maybe 1900 baht each time. You don't have to be Ben Franklin to remember, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." One can of oil is less than 200 baht. Also, a dry chain is very kinky, and I don't mean sexually.

Lickey, I just ordered a chain and sprocket set from Red Baron, 5900B for the sprockets and 2800B for the chain ( EK chain has a soft link so you don't need a chain riveter), same bike as yours. Did you ever get your front end sorted?

Hi Tubber, nice to make your aquaitence again, Yes, ihave RBarons number, you sent it me on the Yam owners club UK site, dont need yet, but have it in my book,

Yes, front end great now, despite of all the advice from owners, removed wheel, took off discs, had the floating washers pressed near tight but still floating {slightly} and no more judder or shake from braking.

Happy Bikeing, Lickey.

THink I'm gonna bring some chain lubricant out with me to LOS when I next blast off, seems theres a shortage of the stuff!

Peace Blonde do you remove the chain, rinse and re-oil it or do you just whack on more oil over the old oil. I figure the old oil is usually almost gone anyway but...

i ask you think cos you and I have got the same bike.

Cheers.