Black men arrested in Philadelphia Starbucks reach agreement on compensation

webfact

Black men arrested in Philadelphia Starbucks reach agreement on compensation

2018-05-02T202033Z_1_LOP000JZC7QLR_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_USA-PHILADELPHIA-STARBUCKS.JPG

Two black men arrested while waiting at a Philadelphia Starbucks store reached a settlement with the coffee chain and dropped legal claims against the city. 

(Reuters) - Two black men arrested while waiting at a Philadelphia Starbucks store reached a confidential financial settlement with the coffee chain and dropped legal claims against the city.

The city agreed to pay each man $1 and committed $200,000 to fund an entrepreneurship program for public school students.

Donte Robinson and Rashon Nelson were arrested on April 12, after a Starbucks manager called police to complain that they had not made a purchase and refused to leave.

Police released the men hours later without charges. However, a video of their arrests was widely shared on the internet, sparking protests and calls for a boycott of the popular coffee chain.

Starbucks Corp <SBUX.O>, which plans to close 8,000 stores for a half day of anti-bias training on May 29, said Robinson and Nelson will have an opportunity to provide input for the company's "long-term diversity and equity efforts."

"We all recognise the importance of communication about differences and solutions, and that we will be measured by our action, not words," Robinson and Nelson said in a joint statement.

Starbucks also said it had invited the men to complete their undergraduate degrees through the company's tuition-paid online education partnership with Arizona State University.

(Reporting by Uday Sampath in Bengaluru; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-03

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

is this a wind up post 

lets say you own a coffee shop and someone walks in sits down at one of your tables opens a laptop using your free wifi and refuses to buy anything

you ask them to leave and they refuse...……………….what next ?

only one option

That's trespassing not loitering.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daoyai said:

My source is the article above (did you read it?) and they were given free tuition to access Arizona state online classes, also in the article. 

Well, you got me on the scholarships but I didn't see anything about "the real amount is reported to be confidential".

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

In litigious America there must be by now a bunch of people just waiting

hoping and praying to be harassed, discriminated and dragged of

a flights just to be able to sue for millions....

Just NOW? This seems to have been a form of occupation for some for decades. In both personal and corporate litigation.

45 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And what's your source for this allegation that "the real amount is confidential?"  I suspect it's a source located somewhere in Macedonia. And NO, they were not given scholarships. There was a scholarship fund set up for inner city kids.

I suspect that you left your ability to read somewhere in Macedonia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i do not disturb or steal business opportunities just cause i feel like using their

chairs, and i do have a tremendous back pain.

if i do chose to sit and occupy their property, i make damn sure to order something

to justify me sitting there right away.

i do not have the nerve to just spoil their business at my leisure

Again, that is trespass, not loitering. My response was to a poster calling them loiterers.

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1

Ridiculous. What gives you the right to just make use of a private premise without using its services? Had this been about two trespassing white people, they would have been rightfully ridiculed for claiming they had been discriminated against.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daoyai said:

They were publicly given a dollar but the real amount is reported to be confidential. They were also given scholarships and are being hired to address the diversity workshops... sometimes crime does pay.

Crime? What crime did they commit?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1