Sounded Out On My 12 Month Extension Of Stay Application

Hi All,  This encounter may be of use to some,

Visited Chaiyaphum Immigration today and passed over my application forms for a 12 month extension of stay

along with the Statuory Declaration of income per annum , bank letter ,and updated bank book totalling BHT 900,000 , all was in order, l was 

then asked by a new officer if the amount stated in the Stat Dec was my pension, yes it was i said , she then asked for my

bank statements showing my monthly pension deposits, l didnt have them ,l was then asked to come into the office area and print out

statements showing pension deposits and thier total , l let her know when l had opened up my internet banking site and  as

she was about to come over  the officer who has been there since it opened asked what l was doing at the office computer

and l heard her say no,non,no, not worry he have papers and bank book , but newbie was adamant she was going to 

have a look, so she starts scrolling through the months and l am pointing out pension ,pension,and l bought to her attention

the Available Funds amount ,which is a Home Equity Loan that my pension is deposited into, and this total substantially exceeds the Stat Dec amount

That did the trick otherwise l would have had to print off all the pension deposits ,which are  from the last 12 months and therefore not a true amount compared to the next 12 months so l was lucky , Had l not had the Home Euity loan in place .who knows !

....................!? l then asked her ok? finished now ,"yes" , ok l log off now ,"no not worry log off" l have to close it ,this  is a private site ,"not worry",

l am sorry but l log off now , "ok" ,anyhow got my 12 month extension of stay ,

Funny old day.

As l have said before ,Wais and Smiles all around

• Like 1

See that you are from Australia (??) Sory to hear that you had a bad experience from Chaiyaphum Immigration.

Over my horizon there are NO problem whatsoever with the income affadavit from our embassies, and that goes for people from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland,Germany, and Schwitzerland. That is the nationalities that I helped with extensions of stay here...

I know that americans can run into problems due to the fact that Thai immigration knows what is going on there at their embassies with these afadavits where people are "swearing" high and low.. But Australia you do have to prove your income to your embassy???? Or????

Cannot understand why they bothered you to that extend...

glegolo

• Sad 1

Yes  KiChakayan l considered using the Equity Loan Available Funds but thought that might invite questions of what it means ,is income ? how you have ? not income ,where come from ,? , that type of thing , l just made the choice l used which was 100 per cent  legitimate but she was going to make me prove it ! anyhow it's all good ,lifes good in the land of smiles.

Glegolo , the Australian Embassy doesnt want to know about verification

they just witness you sign the statement , my statements are true accounts of my financial facts ,and life is good in the land of smiles ! 

• Like 1

Interesting story but my Passive Income will not be coming from a pension.  My income will come from Dividends and Interest from my stock and bond holdings.  While they are somewhat monthly incomes, some such as from my stocks only come every 3 months. i.e. quarterly.   And I would not be making any sort of regular deposits or transfers.  I bring 10k USD with me and I travel home to the USA twice  a year.  Some of that will change two years from now when I start my social security benefits which are paid monthly.  But the interesting thing is I have heard similar stories from other posters where immigration officials expected to see REGULAR deposits into some Thai bank or at least transfers or withdrawals into Thailand.  They definitely have the pension or regular paycheck mentality and that is what they want to see

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Interesting story but my Passive Income will not be coming from a pension.  My income will come from Dividends and Interest from my stock and bond holdings.  While they are somewhat monthly incomes, some such as from my stocks only come every 3 months. i.e. quarterly.   And I would not be making any sort of regular deposits or transfers.

Immigration should accept US bank statements showing the funds going into an account as long as the total annual income is equal to 780k baht or more.

Most immigration offices do not ask for backup for the income affidavit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I

Total BS. Never had any problem and I have documents to back up what I claim. Stick to facts and not your usual fantasies. And the US is not the only country that accepts sworn statements from their citizens rather than assuming that they are liars. Although Thai immgrations probably assumes the same.

Your court system must be on the verge of collapse if it is assumed that anyone giving sworn testimoney is a liar. 

Definitely a case of the blind leading the clueless.

The immigration rules here are based on facts, and documents to prove it. If a country let their citizens write whatever income, and then let it "fly" without any confirmation, and issue a affadavit than I can´t really see your proud sarcastic opnion being very nice..... Think........

glegolo

22 hours ago, glegolo said:

See that you are from Australia (??) Sory to hear that you had a bad experience from Chaiyaphum Immigration.

Over my horizon there are NO problem whatsoever with the income affadavit from our embassies, and that goes for people from Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland,Germany, and Schwitzerland. That is the nationalities that I helped with extensions of stay here...

I know that americans can run into problems due to the fact that Thai immigration knows what is going on there at their embassies with these afadavits where people are "swearing" high and low.. But Australia you do have to prove your income to your embassy???? Or????

glegolo

I can, we are talking about Thai immigration here.

I think that the problem was that it was a new IO at Chaiyaphum and was just trying to show authority. I had a problem at Khon Kaen because there was a new investigation boss and one of my documents was 6 weeks old and he told the investigation officer to make me get a new document. he was just showing who is boss

This may be an effort to assess tax in Thailand on pension payments sent into Thailand from overseas. The Thai Revenue Code stipulates that pensions are treated as income, as far as tax is concerned. A resident in Thailand receiving a foreign pension brought into Thailand would be liable to pay income tax in Thailand, but no other Thai taxation applies to such amounts. You may (probably do) get an offset against any tax liability here on pension income brought into Thailand for tax paid on such pension payments in the home country. This information may be shared with the Thailand revenue authorities. I would never disclose the source or amount of my income to Thai Immigration if I was using a deposit in a Thai bank as the basis for my extension of stay.  I was asked to fill out a form asking similar questions regarding pension income and a certificate of tax paid in my home country by the Thailand revenue authority when I recently filed for a refund of withholding tax on interest income from a Thai bank. Clearly, assessing tax in Thailand on pension income brought into Thailand was the purpose of that form. I am not sure if this is a new requirement as this is the first time that I have filed for a refund of withholding tax. But, one should be very careful what you disclose and to who. 

47 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The OP never answered the question, why did you need a letter from the embassy if you had 900,000 baht in your account?

Perhaps the better question is " why did you provide a letter from the embassy if you had B900,000 baht in your account?" Unless B800,000 had not been in the account for at least 3 months prior to the date of application for the visa extension (in such case you would not provide the evidence of the required B800,000 in a Thai bank; you don't need both), I am aware of no requirement for a letter of income from an embassy if proper evidence of B800,000 in a Thai bank is used as the basis for the extension of stay in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Please let me know what your real name is and where you operate so that I can make sure that I never go to you for help. I will go to a more reputable person if I ever need one

Interesting post. Why so nasty???? having a bad day today Sir????? 55555

glegolo

To gleglo and others. Perhaps you should look into the consequences of making a false statement under oath at the US Embassy and then make stupid comments like "Thai Immigration know what they are doing." No US Citizen would do this as doing so is commiting felony .....

Bar stool hearsay that is what you know!

Edited by maprao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about that ,my original post is misleading.(  with the Statuory Declaration of income per annum , bank letter ,and updated bank book totalling BHT 900,000 )

The 900,000 is a combination of bank book and Stat Dec

36 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

This may be an effort to assess tax in Thailand on pension payments sent into Thailand from overseas. The Thai Revenue Code stipulates that pensions are treated as income, as far as tax is concerned. A resident in Thailand receiving a foreign pension brought into Thailand would be liable to pay income tax in Thailand, but no other Thai taxation applies to such amounts. You may (probably do) get an offset against any tax liability here on pension income brought into Thailand for tax paid on such pension payments in the home country. This information may be shared with the Thailand revenue authorities. I would never disclose the source or amount of my income to Thai Immigration if I was using a deposit in a Thai bank as the basis for my extension of stay.  I was asked to fill out a form asking similar questions regarding pension income and a certificate of tax paid in my home country by the Thailand revenue authority when I recently filed for a refund of withholding tax on interest income from a Thai bank. Clearly, assessing tax in Thailand on pension income brought into Thailand was the purpose of that form. I am not sure if this is a new requirement as this is the first time that I have filed for a refund of withholding tax. But, one should be very careful what you disclose and to who. 

You really need to get all the facts correct.

It is only if you receive pension payments made in the current year that you are liable to pay tax on them.

If you wait a year then get the cash there is no tax liability.

28 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

Perhaps the better question is " why did you provide a letter from the embassy if you had B900,000 baht in your account?" Unless B800,000 had not been in the account for at least 3 months prior to the date of application for the visa extension (in such case you would not provide the evidence of the required B800,000 in a Thai bank; you don't need both), I am aware of no requirement for a letter of income from an embassy if proper evidence of B800,000 in a Thai bank is used as the basis for the extension of stay in Thailand. 

Sorry about that my original post is  misleading (along with the Statuory Declaration of income per annum , bank letter ,and updated bank book totalling BHT 900,000 ) The 900,000 was a combination of Stat Dec and bank book funds  .one baht.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You really need to get all the facts correct.

It is only if you receive pension payments made in the current year that you are liable to pay tax on them.

If you wait a year then get the cash there is no tax liability.

I did not mention anything about the year earned vs. the year brought into Thailand in my post. The relevant wording in my post comes directly (translated) from the Tax Code. And if you are using your pension as the basis for income to be used in Thailand, how could it not be brought into Thailand in the year received? I think it may be you that needs to get your "facts" correct. 

10 hours ago, Fat Prophet said:

I did not mention anything about the year earned vs. the year brought into Thailand in my post. The relevant wording in my post comes directly (translated) from the Tax Code. And if you are using your pension as the basis for income to be used in Thailand, how could it not be brought into Thailand in the year received? I think it may be you that needs to get your "facts" correct. 

did not mention anything about the year earned vs. the year brought into Thailand

That is an extremely important point not to mention.

It seems that you do not understand the wording of the tax law and immigration rules, and it is the wording that is important.

True you income must be more than 800,000, however there is no requirement that it is 800,000 received in Thailand, and no requirement that it is used in Thailand.

It is not a requirement that you income in any year is to be used in Thailand or transferred in.

Assuming that you have other sources of cash for example savings you can bring in enough from that for your living expenses there is absolutely no amount that you have to spend. Thus you will will have no tax liability as you are NOT bringing into Thailand any pension/income  received in the current year. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, glegolo said:

glegolo

Just got my 4th extension of stay with income affidavit from my American consulate with no problems just like every other year.

1 minute ago, 5633572526 said:

Just got my 4th extension of stay with income affidavit from my American consulate with no problems just like every other year.

Congratulations.... and how much did you pay the "agent" doing this for you??

glegolo

ps. only joking!!

• Like 1