What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

My first post here in over a year but just saw a wonderful film I'd like to recommend:

"On Body and Soul" ("Teströl és lélekröl"), directed and written by 65 year old female Hungarian director Ildikó Enyedi, her first feature in 18 years.

One of the 5 films nominated for Best Foreign Film for the most recent Academy Awards (and better than the winner "A Fantastic Woman"),  and winner of the Berlin Film Festival.

MV5BOTcwYTk3YTAtODZjZi00MmI1LWEyNTItYTNk

Probably the first time ever in my life I'm going to describe a film as "magical" - funny, touching, creepy -  a range of emotions watching it.

Perfectly put together - a rare film where every single shot was interesting and meaningful.

Watching it I felt it had to be an adaptation of a novel - the characters, situations and setting so unusual I thought it had to have come from a novelist.

But I see that Enyedi wrote it as an original screenplay.

I've seen 2 earlier films of hers - "My Twentieth Century" and "The Magic Hunter" - both imaginitive and also unusual.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

My first post here in over a year but just saw a wonderful film I'd like to recommend:

"On Body and Soul" ("Teströl és lélekröl"), directed and written by 65 year old female Hungarian director Ildikó Enyedi, her first feature in 18 years.

Thank you, grabbed it for later could do with a change.

On 5/13/2018 at 9:14 PM, Will27 said:

Documentary - Evil Genius: The True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist 

Really enjoyed episode one.
All 4 episodes are available.

Summary: The extraordinary story of the "pizza bomber heist" and the FBI's investigation into a bizarre collection of suspects.

Thanks for this, fascinating stuff.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, giddyup said:
On 13/05/2018 at 9:14 PM, Will27 said:

Documentary - Evil Genius: The True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist 

Really enjoyed episode one.
All 4 episodes are available.
Summary: The extraordinary story of the "pizza bomber heist" and the FBI's investigation into a bizarre collection of suspects.

Thanks for this, fascinating stuff.

I'll second that.

For me, it started off as a documentary telling a story about something I'd not heard about before (I'm a Brit).

As it went on, it drew me in more, seeing the whole thing becoming more involved as the investigation continued. I thought it was very good too.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

My friend rockefeller.

A Netflix documentary.

About a guy who operated under many alias's and claimed to be a rockefeller. He also apparently perfected an English accent but clearly from his interviews his English accent had telling signs of being anything but. Still managed to con a lot of people.

Tv series - Bulletproof

Haven't seen any of this new show from the UK as yet, but the trailer looks a bit like Bad Boys.

Summary: Bulletproof follows two cops, Bishop and Pike, as they chase down hardened criminals in London's East End. On the surface Bishop and Pike have a lot in common they are cool, smart, unapologetically street-wise and tough; they share a deep, fraternal relationship - and are always there for each other.

Episode 1 available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Tv series - Bulletproof

Haven't seen any of this new show from the UK as yet, but the trailer looks a bit like Bad Boys.

Summary: Bulletproof follows two cops, Bishop and Pike, as they chase down hardened criminals in London's East End. On the surface Bishop and Pike have a lot in common they are cool, smart, unapologetically street-wise and tough; they share a deep, fraternal relationship - and are always there for each other.

Episode 1 available.

A buddy cop tv series/movie, now why haven't they thought of that before?:sleepy:

Edited by giddyup
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes but in this buddy movie they are black and in London ,so its nice and PC .:smile:

Well, Bad Boys were black and in the US., so hardly an original concept.

Just now, worgeordie said:

Watched a four part British series last night and it was good,

called "Innocent", about a guy spending 7 years in nick for

murder of his wife,then him trying to prove he did not do it.

regards worgeordie

Yup, I saw that and thought it was good too, so gets a 'thumbs up' from me.

• Like 1

Killing Eve---its really good isn't it, haven't seen stuff like this since BBC done the La Carr'e stuff......made for the USA and Sweden....(this must be the way to supplement the fact that fewer funds from Licence fees) 

Barry...is finished with a bang, quite enjoyed it--I see the 2nd series is being made.

I got around to watching stuff I had download a while back (very rainy in Issan this time of year)

1 Tonya  Tonya Harding----thought I knew the story, what a bad person she was---gosh your heart would go out to this girl, ranked as one of the best athletes America has had---just picked the wrong sport...Ice Skating, --how snobby is that mob, she came from a dysfunctional dirt poor family, and she hardly ever made the team---at one time they said all girls must come and skate in furs,   Tonya's father shot rabbits all week and they sowed them up together ----no she didn't make that team, she done the triple X spin something (where you take off on one skate but land on another) The movie said, no in the world had every done this before---she didn't make that team because she upset them by doing the whole thing to Metallica's heavy rock----instead of swan lake etc.

Its still not 100% clear that she knew about the hit on the other girl that was opposing her---you get to make your own mind up.

Its really well put together---not the type of thing I usually watch---but worth a look---(oh it made Movie of the year)

On 5/17/2018 at 9:26 AM, worgeordie said:

Watched a four part British series last night and it was good,

called "Innocent", about a guy spending 7 years in nick for

murder of his wife,then him trying to prove he did not do it.

regards worgeordie

I liked it too, well worth watching.

On 5/14/2018 at 6:39 AM, JimmyJ said:

One of the 5 films nominated for Best Foreign Film for the most recent Academy Awards (and better than the winner "A Fantastic Woman"),  and winner of the Berlin Film Festival.

MV5BOTcwYTk3YTAtODZjZi00MmI1LWEyNTItYTNk

Probably the first time ever in my life I'm going to describe a film as "magical" - funny, touching, creepy -  a range of emotions watching it.

Perfectly put together - a rare film where every single shot was interesting and meaningful.

Watching it I felt it had to be an adaptation of a novel - the characters, situations and setting so unusual I thought it had to have come from a novelist.

But I see that Enyedi wrote it as an original screenplay.

I've seen 2 earlier films of hers - "My Twentieth Century" and "The Magic Hunter" - both imaginitive and also unusual.

I realized after posting the above that the best films I've seen in a long time were all directed by women - and 2 of them in their 60's.

"Pokot" ("Spoor") is directed by 69 year old Polish director Agnieszka Holland and her daughter Kasia Adamik.

MV5BMzJhZGQ0ODAtZGYyNC00OWVlLThmZTgtMWJl

IMDB describes it as " Crime, Drama, Mystery".

I would describe it as Animal Rights or at least love for animals meets Film Noir.

Masterfully directed and totally absorbing from beginning to end.

MV5BMTQ0YThlMDctODZjMS00Y2E3LTg4NDEtYTM0

MV5BMzA0YTg2YzUtYzg3MC00ODllLWFjOGEtMjE2

It's also one of the most unapologetically subversive films I've ever seen.

Edited by JimmyJ

"Bang Gang (A Modern Love Story)" [" Bang Gang (une histoire d'amour moderne)"] is a French film made in 2015 but debuting in some markets in 2017, the 1st feature of Eva Husson.

MV5BMTY3NjUwODYwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTcy

Although I didn't understand exactly what she was going for in the end, the film was original enough and she is talented enough that I would recommend it.

Several of the images/incidents during the teen "Bang Gangs" were great and memorable.

She did a lot of things I enjoyed with camera movement and sound and a story that I did not find predictable at all along with a talented young cast.

MV5BMTc0NjEzMjg2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTA5

I look forward to the release of Husson's 2nd feature "Girls of the Sun".

MV5BYjM1OWNhMTgtZTBhNS00Y2EwLTg4ODItZGVj

Edited by JimmyJ

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, JHolmesJr said:

Spud17 has dropped an interesting looking french series about a detective looking for the killer of six missing girls.

Les Oublies.

The poster looks nice and grim just the way I like it.

Thanks for this one: Les oubliées.

I enjoyed it.

Trailer: www.ab-international.com/world-catalogue/program/2155

Edited by Will27

1 hour ago, i claudius said:

New 10 part french series called missions about a group of astranouts going to and landing on mars. Only 25 mins per episode has sub titles.worth a look its not exactly what you expect.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Is it better than Mars (2016) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4939064?

Murder on the orient express. The book by agatha christie was great the 1974 film was brilliant and now we have the Kenneth Branagh version. What can i say except.i started watching paint dry after 20 minutes it is rubbish.shame because it has some great actors in it

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I saw it in the theater, kept thinking it would go somewhere, it never did...
  • Like 1