What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

The biggest problem with contemporary TV, IMO, is the addiction to overall story arcs. Individual eps are often consigned to "character development" or "fillers" for the story arcs. Stand alone episodic TV works best.  Each episode not dependent on another, although it can contribute to a loose story arc or character study. You can go back and pick out individuals of eps of series such as Danger Man, I Spy, The Saint, Rockford Files, or any number of 60s through 80s series and not need worry about being left in the dark because you didn't watch seasons 1-4 and the story arc.

From the standpoint of production quality, today's shows are the best that has ever been made. But beneath the surface, the storytelling is weaker.

Stop All the Clocks:

WH Auden in an Age of Anxiety (BBC 30 Sept 2017)

I enjoyed a revisited of Auden, although his poetry isn't everyone's choice, its nearly 35 years after the last BBC Doco, this was quite a well put together program with some new footage.

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh, I tend to differ the story telling to me is what makes some of these shows today so fantastic.  They probably would have not been watched at all back in the days.   A show like Better Call Saul and many others can be so slow moving, but the story lines is what grabs you.

But, I realize there are still many Gilligan Island and Brady Bunch fans out there.   

There is one overarching rule in scriptwriting: always advance the story.

On 9/30/2017 at 5:41 PM, GanDoonToonPet said:

Star Trek: Discovery

The captain's an Asian woman this time, or possibly a black one depending on how the story pans out.

Wooden acting (but politically correct), recycled plot advancing by the numbers, unconvincing CGI. A disappointment. French SF series, Missions, is not bad but as of yesterday only 4 episodes had English subtitles. Some new SF coming online maybe next year:

Amazon commissions three new sci-fi shows: Lazarus, Snow Crash, and Ringworld

The Deuce is OK, Ray Donovan's gaining momentum finally after a lot of filler about remembering the ex. I'm trying out Ozark.

11 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I like Animal Kingdom a lot too - for fans of stuff about lowlifes like Sons of Anarchy, Ray Donovan and the Sopranos.

2nd season is decent the ending seems premature. Unless a S3 is in making.

I think a lot of these new series are under serious pressure to create content and because of that need to deliver, they may be compromising the end product. True detective was my last proper favourite show and I cannot recall anything since that was so gripping.

Tried to watch American Made last night. Barry Seal. Anyone see that? I heard rave reviews but it seemed whack 30 mins in?

• Like 1

Berlin Station is back for Season 2.

Ive always thought of it as the thinking man's Homeland.....not that I'm a thinking man.

First episode looks great....season seems to be centred around infiltrating an alt right group in berlin.

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, Will27 said:

I've only managed to get the first episode of season 1 with decent subs.

It's just started being broadcast by the BBC so I imagine it will be slow, unless

sno gives us the whole series at once.

Edited by Will27

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, JHolmesJr said:

Profugos....where did you find the embedded subs mate? I got good ones for season 1 from open subtitles....but season 2 are rubbish.

Oops, seems as if episode 1 was on Channel 4 and the rest (15 episodes) are available

on Walter Presents.

Edited by Will27

15 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Wooden acting (but politically correct), recycled plot advancing by the numbers, unconvincing CGI. A disappointment. French SF series, Missions, is not bad but as of yesterday only 4 episodes had English subtitles. Some new SF coming online maybe next year:

Amazon commissions three new sci-fi shows: Lazarus, Snow Crash, and Ringworld

The Deuce is OK, Ray Donovan's gaining momentum finally after a lot of filler about remembering the ex. I'm trying out Ozark.

I have given up watching any show that is politically Correct, Like American Horror for instance ,(two women married with a child) ,but thats not because i am anti gay or anti black and white marriage , etc ,its the fact i dont like it put in just to be PC .

A show i really do like is This is us , there you have two white kids with a black brother ,a very fat sister with a handsome movie star brother but its done in such a way that its not pushing "diversity" down our throats season 2 has just started . 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I have given up watching any show that is politically Correct, Like American Horror for instance ,(two women married with a child) ,but thats not because i am anti gay or anti black and white marriage , etc ,its the fact i dont like it put in just to be PC .

A show i really do like is This is us , there you have two white kids with a black brother ,a very fat sister with a handsome movie star brother but its done in such a way that its not pushing "diversity" down our throats season 2 has just started . 

Actually, if you bothered to watch American Horror you would see that the political message you assume they are making is a lot more nuanced than you think. The anti-trumpists are skewered just as sharply. But you'll miss all that because it seems black people and fat people are OK for you to watch, but not married lesbian couples with kids. Sad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Actually, if you bothered to watch American Horror you would see that the political message you assume they are making is a lot more nuanced than you think. The anti-trumpists are skewered just as sharply. But you'll miss all that because it seems black people and fat people are OK for you to watch, but not married lesbian couples with kids. Sad. 

Actually i saw the anti Trump bits as well ,but as i am not American i really have no interest in him ,as i had not a lot of interest in Obama , i feel they are both bad for America in different ways .

As for two women or two men having sex ,could not care less ,up to them ,but it is not "natural and normal" and i do not think they should marry and bring up kids . but in this new PC world they young are taught it is normal , Well sorry if i offend anyone but i am sick of TV shows trying to brainwash us all the time .

but as i have always said , as long as you do it behind closed doors and i do not have to watch(i may make an exception for two good looking women" do what you like .

• Thanks 1

Just finished The War In Vietnam a 10 part documentary, 10 years in the making. If this doesn't convince you of the folly of war and the incompetent and egocentric leaders who got the US into it, nothing will. Gripping stuff.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Just finished The War In Vietnam a 10 part documentary, 10 years in the making. If this doesn't convince you of the folly of war and the incompetent and egocentric leaders who got the US into it, nothing will. Gripping stuff.

Seems like another Kennedy assassination Doc.

Gripping how?  All info. been repeated a thousand times before.......

• Like 1

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Seems like another Kennedy assassination Doc.

Gripping how?  All info. been repeated a thousand times before.......

Obviously you know everything, so no need for you to watch it. It ain't conspiracy theories, it's facts.

13 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Actually i saw the anti Trump bits as well ,but as i am not American i really have no interest in him ,as i had not a lot of interest in Obama , i feel they are both bad for America in different ways .

As for two women or two men having sex ,could not care less ,up to them ,but it is not "natural and normal" and i do not think they should marry and bring up kids . but in this new PC world they young are taught it is normal , Well sorry if i offend anyone but i am sick of TV shows trying to brainwash us all the time .

but as i have always said , as long as you do it behind closed doors and i do not have to watch(i may make an exception for two good looking women" do what you like .

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

I am amazed at the quality of some of the footage. I'm watching at 1080.

• Like 1