Should I move immediately or stay?

puukao

I don't live in CM, but I know CM and you guys are more vocal so I'm curious on your opinion.  Sit back and laugh at this one.  Or not.  

It's only about 1 p.m. and I'm downstairs (I live on the top floor, not too many floors) about to head out and meet friends.  I'm sitting in front of the front desk and i see a kid on a nice motorbike come into the parking area.  I did think, "huh, nice bike for a kid that age."  I stand up and walk into the driveway (I guess, not the street).  Anyhow, I look back to see the kid park and a guy has a gun to his head. Pointblank on his helmet.

He looks at me, I really don't show any emotion and I'm actually not sure what I would have done if he pointed the gun my way.  I'm pretty sure my heart rate didn't move.  I'm not saying my heart stopped beating, i'm saying it didn't affect me or i didn't process what was happening.  

I've been here a few years, and I'm not a sheltered snowflake, so i turn to leave the complex.  I see a truck block the driveway and two guys get out.  Yea, i'm pretty sure they were all cops with guns, but no reference of being a cop.  They were older and seemed professional, and i don't think this city has mature gangs.  5555

I walked down, the car moved to let me pass, and that was that....

I came back and they said he was dealing yaba in the complex.

I like it here, it's cheap.  Well, maybe i likeD it here.....I"m not sure if I do anymore, or I just feel like getting mad at someone.  Every have one of those days??  Or get mad at myself for living here.  

Yes, I can move out at the end of the month.  I've been here maybe 5 months and it's not exactly upscale but i have a good corner unit that quiet of people noises.

The question is.....Do I move 100 percent?  

To summarize his post in a few short words, he is living in a shit hole with drug dealers and hookers.

"it's not exactly upscale"

dude how did you end up in the cheapest town in Thailand living in a dump? Did you really work your whole life for it to come to this, and in a third world country?

sad

I can't really see your reasoning to move unless there is more to this.

A suspected yaaba dealer has been removed from your area, well done by the cops. Therefore one less idiot who could have mucked up your life.

Unless you have other problems with where you live why are you thinking of moving?

If you like the area then stay, otherwise move. It's up to you really.

Personally I'm none too impressed with some of the local police in Mae Rim, however moving away would not necessarily sort out perceived problems.

I  am sure there are 'rotten apples' in all areas of Thailand, in fact everywhere in the world.  It all comes down to what you are willing to accept before you act.

And that is a personal or individual thing. One persons tolerance can be far higher or lower than the next persons.

Do what you are happy with, enjoy life as it is often too short.

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

Get out now. An addict would kill you for spare change if he is desperate and a farang is an easy target. I don't want to see your picture on Bangkok Post.

The guy was a dealer, no mention of being an addict !!

Plus, where do you suggest he moves to ?? Yaba addicts are everywhere... 

I would say stay where you are based on this single (and sounds like isolated incident). As others have said drug dealers can be almost everywhere and unless there are other issues with the place stay. That being said, if you don't like it there or do not feel safe start looking for a new place.

55555.  good answers.  i have a friend staying in a "nicer" (haven't seen it yet) place and will check it out today or tomorrow.  i remember years ago in the old city i saw some kids probably dealing yaba in an apartment with lots of farangs.  so maybe it's hard to avoid, but that's why i asked the question.  

this place isn't good, it isn't bad.  when i change addresses, it's a pain going to immigration.  they want records of the building owner, etc....  took at least two trips last time.

the absolute longest i'll be here is 12 more months.  the shortest, one month.  

i was thinking of buying a condo in-town, and i wonder what are the odds people are dealing drugs in that complex (whichever one i choose).  that would not be fun.  

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes go back to US,UK,Oz, you'll be more likely to be robbed and shot 

there.by an addict ,mugger,or blown up or run over by a terrorist.

regards worgeordie

....and if they don't get you, the tax man will bleed you to death.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes go back to US,UK,Oz, you'll be more likely to be robbed and shot 

there.by an addict ,mugger,or blown up or run over by a terrorist.

regards worgeordie

....and if they don't get you, the tax man will bleed you to death.

20 years ago we were 90% finished with a house we were building in the boonies outside of Udon.  One evening on the way back to our rental in town, we stopped by the village ?restaurant? where I ordered a fried rice to go while my wife waited in the truck.  I sat at a cement table probably 20 feet from the cook....watching him sling ingredients into the wok while his wife sat inside with 2 children feeding them supper.  Out of nowhere, a man walks up to the cook and pops him point blank.  Twice.  I literally jumped out of my sandals, into the wrong side of the truck (my American brain was working), leaped over my wife and drove off to the police station less than 1km away.  

I explained what happened but the police were not interested.  That same night, 3 other people were shot in downtown Udon........All those shot that night were reportedly dealing drugs and had reportedly been warned to stop.

Our neighbor was an Army general (the honest kind)....when we asked for advice, he basically said there's nothing we could do.  My wife talked to many of the villagers who knew the guy was dealing drugs (truck drivers would stop to order a to-go dish and the cook was put a few pills inside).  No one seemed to show any compassion for what happened.

For a short time, my wife and I weighed whether to leave Thailand and go back to more civilized living.

We didn't.....now lived in our house for 20 years with no problems at all.  We have no regrets.  We've learned that no place is perfect.....whether it's here or back in the US.  pluses and minuses no matter where you live.

Good luck with your decision

10 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The guy was a dealer, no mention of being an addict !!

Plus, where do you suggest he moves to ?? Yaba addicts are everywhere... 

..yep.. could be a challenge to find a place where no one takes or sells ya-ba..

15 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

To summarize his post in a few short words, he is living in a shit hole with drug dealers and hookers.

dude how did you end up in the cheapest town in Thailand living in a dump? Did you really work your whole life for it to come to this, and in a third world country?

sad

Have a word with this guy, he's looking for something to keep him occupied. Your place should fit the bill nicely:

Move if you feel unsafe. However, from the description it was an arrest and really nothing to do with you. The people involved have probably forgotten you already.

If you are a puzzy who likes to post long-winded stories under the guise of an actual question in order to garner attention then YES definitely move.  If you are just a normal person then just relax and mind your own business and stop turning everything into your personal drama.

21 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

sad

I thought the same 

“I like it here- it’s cheap”

Any city in the world has bad areas .

not everyone has money - but why live here - a totally lawless country. 

The obvious answer is that if he was selling yaba to people in the complex who are probably addicted.....they will still need their drug, so another dealer will pop up to replace the old one.....Ergo....Move.

I remember living in a Holiday Inn for several months whilst working in Taipei, Taiwan, coming down one morning to a buzz of conversation about the shootout in the lobby at 3am between members of the local Bamboo Mafia. Everything had been cleaned up, I had slept right through it, and it was a good hotel, so I stayed.

Stuff can happen anywhere, who knows if the next place you move will be trouble-free, better the devil you know.

You don't live in Chiang Mai, so:

A) Why post here, aside from, "...you guys are more vocal" comment (Are we? Doubt it.). 

B) Why will you not tell us where you DO live? 

The "front desk"? Are you living in a hotel? 

To your question: if you are living in a condo or hotel, of course move. Rent a house. Why would anyone stay in a facsimile of a prison ward when they can have a house? 

Archived