Dowry?

Craigee34

16 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

perhaps but at least I post to the right person lol

One freebee for you and then i am done educating you. Not my job to educate the great unwashed masses

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_quotation&ved=2ahUKEwjAopGZoPraAhVEvI8KHSekB1AQFjADegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3LbKgKhSW_h1XPRmfAYDgQ

6 minutes ago, torrzent said:

well, at least youre posting to the guy you intend to speak to! thats a start! lol

11 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

no excuse for answering the wrong guy either! lol BTW, did you ever figure out how to contact him??

No interest in "contacting" someone as you put it. You need to get up to speed from your snail mail post office mentality; this is the internet and you are on a forum not in a queue at the post office or phone company

1 minute ago, torrzent said:

No interest in "contacting" someone as you put it. You need to get up to speed from your snail mail post office mentality; this is the internet and you are on a forum not in a queue at the post office or phone company

I know and I've even learned to click on the "quote" box of the guy I want to answer. lol. I'll be glad to help you out if your having a bit of trouble finding the right box if you like! lol

1 hour ago, AYJAYDEE said:

I know and I've even learned to click on the "quote" box of the guy I want to answer. lol. I'll be glad to help you out if your having a bit of trouble finding the right box if you like! lol

You say you have mastered the quote, but still do not know what a nested quote is.....Think of it as Quotes 102, after you graduated from Quotes 101.....LOLOLOLOL

1 minute ago, torrzent said:

You say you have mastered the quote, but still do not know what a nested quote is.....Think of it as Quotes 102, after you graduated from Quotes 101.....LOLOLOLOL

I know enough to realize if I have issue with the comment that is nested and actually want to copy and paste it to make a point to the commenter,. I go back and find the original and respond to it there instead of clicking the box of the guy that answered him and hoping that the original poster will see it.If I get the time, I'll be glad to show you how to do that.

My wife read this thread today and laughed.

Her advice to you all is this. Take it or leave it but I got to admit (and I hope you do as well and laugh) that it is straightforward and funny. Don't take it to heart.

If your family does not agree to give you back the Sin Sot during negotiations (if Sin Sot is asked for), stay away from the family. If you do not have the depth to know or understand your future family, on how they are, and if for one moment, you think they have bad intentions, it is best you do not marry. 

You do not want to be associated with such people. She then went to point out, this is even true for Thais. 

Thais get burnt on Sin Sot, just not us farangs she told me.

Anyway, this is coming from a girl who after reading ''Thailand Fever'', that only halfway through reading the edition, dropped it in the rubbish bin and said to me, 

'' Are you farangs so foolish to believe in this? 

Maybe this is so for very rural people, but this is so much previous century and the coming generations, and my generation included within educated Thais are certainly not like this. 

Yes, this is suited for the older generation, the uneducated, the very rural, the 'smart' bar girls but times are changing.''

My wife said there is a place for Sin Sot in some cases, but it must be of advantage to both parties and if you cannot agree on this, it is best to walk now.

One last thing she did mention if the family is very, very rural poor, are you ready to support them for the rest of their lives? Paying no more than 30,000 baht to such a family for Sin Sot is only going to be the start of it all.

She said, are you prepared to keep on paying on an ongoing basis as, in all most likely scenarios, you will have too. These things must be taken into consideration before marriage.

Edited by totally thaied up
spelling and tidying up

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

My wife read this thread today and laughed.

Her advice to you all is this. Take it or leave it but I got to admit (and I hope you do as well and laugh) that it is straightforward and funny. Don't take it to heart.

If your family does not agree to give you back the Sin Sot during negotiations (if Sin Sot is asked for), stay away from the family. If you do not have the depth to know or understand your future family, on how they are, and if for one moment, you think they have bad intentions, it is best you do not marry. 

You do not want to be associated with such people. She then went to point out, this is even true for Thais. 

Thais get burnt on Sin Sot, just not us farangs she told me.

Anyway, this is coming from a girl who after reading ''Thailand Fever'', that only halfway through reading the edition, dropped it in the rubbish bin and said to me, 

'' Are you farangs so foolish to believe in this? 

Maybe this is so for very rural people, but this is so much previous century and the coming generations, and my generation included within educated Thais are certainly not like this. 

Yes, this is suited for the older generation, the uneducated, the very rural, the 'smart' bar girls but times are changing.''

My wife said there is a place for Sin Sot in some cases, but it must be of advantage to both parties and if you cannot agree on this, it is best to walk now.

One last thing she did mention if the family is very, very rural poor, are you ready to support them for the rest of their lives? Paying no more than 30,000 baht to such a family for Sin Sot is only going to be the start of it all.

She said, are you prepared to keep on paying on an ongoing basis as, in all most likely scenarios, you will have too. These things must be taken into consideration before marriage.

The answer is no, then again maybe yes

OK got it :smile:

19 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The answer is no, then again maybe yes

Please note; she said, ''some cases.''

Like her old style, Mum believes in it (yet she is rural Chinese, arranged marriage and Sin Sot paid, but her father does not give a stuff about it). One of her close friends got married at 37 to a farang. She had one 12-year-old child, a previous village marriage. Sin Sot was not paid, and my wife said why should it be paid?

suppose that is why that is why she said, ''some cases''. 

From what I gather, this is more about rural, rural Thailand and between Thais and in all honesty, it confuses me at times what goes on in a Thais head but once again, that is the culture difference. 

Edited by totally thaied up
spelling and tidying up, clarification on ages (after asking)

9 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

oh I can imagine just fine and what the neighbourhood and relatives are sayin is precious!

Guess what? I don't really care what you imagine. Just because you had to buy your wife, does not mean everyone does. I have expressed my feelings and told you my situation and you are in essence calling me a liar. So, you can continue this rattling by yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

dowry is all a saving face exercise for the family. tell them you will pay it but give it back for your family. if they do this you know they are solid. 

current rates:

- bar girl / farmer: 50k to 100k

- university graduate from region: 150k

- high class university/ general bachelor degree education maybe 200k

- medical professional / dentist: 500k upwards

good luck

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

One of her close friends got married at 37 to a farang. She had one 12-year-old child, a previous village marriage. Sin Sot was not paid, and my wife said why should it be paid?

Have you seen some of the guys knocking around in rural Thailand, I would suggest much as they could be genuine, generous, charming, sensitive, guys,  expecting a little incentive and security is not too far fetched. :smile: add in expected life span and I would say ask away!!

17 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

dowry is all a saving face exercise for the family. tell them you will pay it but give it back for your family. if they do this you know they are solid. 

current rates:

good luck

Is there not a place where people can take their daughter for expert valuation and obtain approved document. I imagine this to be like jewellery valuation where the beautifully designed pieces have added value.

21 hours ago, Kadilo said:

.....and you think they are not saying similar things about mug ferangs coughing up money at will who they have round their little finger. 

Some people choose to live on an honest open relationship where trust and giving is part and parcel of their relationship on a daily basis. They don't need to pay extra to secure a wife in the belief that is gives them some kind of guarantee of acceptance.

So quit looking down your nose at those who choose a different path to yourself as if you somehow have some kind of moral high ground, you don't. You chose your way, other choose and believe theirs. I can assure you Thais laugh at ferangs equally behind their backs irrespective of what you may think. 

maybe the guys got more brain here than most TV members and not married, like myself. :smile:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Just to be sure hand them a briefcase of cash which is chained to your hand.

13 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

current rates:

this is total nonsense.  Where did you get those rates, from cnbc.com?

On 5/9/2018 at 7:09 PM, 473geo said:
On 5/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, welovethailand said:

Jip99, no I am not a TROLL, maybe you are. I was 40 when 1st married to a Thai..paid nothing. Lasted 7 years. Then remarried at 50, again, no money. And good shape, and handsome. Now 58 and still married. 

Like I said "Just my opinion". 

Well don't be shy, what lessons did you learn from the first failure? obviously not paying sinsot was unchanged.

the take home lesson is dont expect a successful marriage unless you paid sinsaud

but what about marriage that dont last in which sisaud was paid???

astounding extrapolation and logic from tv experts alike