Trump abandons 'defective' Iran nuclear deal, to revive sanctions

webfact

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The US actually exports oil now, thanks to frakking.

They do, but they are still at only about 90% energy independence.  The export ban repeal was primarily for the benefit of Alaska crude that had to travel by ship anyway.

Oooooh, I bet the orange idi...the American President has listened closely to all sides, got opinions from all the experts and was able to make an informed decission....

..and then he said "#@$% that- 'Murica Number One!" and got out of a MULTINATIONAL DEAL (yes...even if you treat it as an US- Iran Deal, that are still not the facts!), that actually could have stabilized Iran and the Middle East.

Well done!

Well done, indeed!

:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, baboon said:

Why on earth would they denuclearize now? Try and put yourself in their place for a moment. Would you?

I don't think they are, which is what I said. I'd love it if I was wrong about that. I was just what iffing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, baboon said:

Why on earth would they denuclearize now? Try and put yourself in their place for a moment. Would you?

You said put yourself in their place. As long as they have the protection of Big Brother China, why not?

How would anyone know what China has guaranteed North Korea in terms of defence?

China already said months ago that they would defend North Korea if there was a first strike by USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just over the night Russia and China suddenly seems more logic to cooperate with than USA! What then? Same shit same wrapping, but we want to keep our wealth, and not go down with USA paranoid attempt to stay in power? There will be a day we have no more use of USA, and their treaths far up in the troat, and look for other partners. Are USA going to bomb everyone everywhere? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

You said put yourself in their place. As long as they have the protection of Big Brother China, why not?

How would anyone know what China has guaranteed North Korea in terms of defence?

China already said months ago that they would defend North Korea if there was a first strike by USA.

A fair response. However China and the DPRK don't actually get along that well. I would be happy to discuss it more, but we will only have our posts removed for being off topic.

Presumably Trump is in dictator-removal mode and this is to bring pressure on the mullahs and sweep them aside. Maybe it's to build on some internal instability recently.

I know, regime change hasn't worked well before. But one might credit the Iranian people with more sense (probably the best sense in the muslim world), and it is tempting to see a much better future in the middle-east if/when Iran gets back to normal. Unlike the others, this country has some potential to be a decent democracy once the religious clerics are out of the way. And for another thing, Iranians are culturally not anti-Israel.

Not to overlook the Israeli lobby in this also - those guys are so insecure they will definitely take the world to the brink. That may be mainly what it's all about, but I don't worry about Israel - whatever their destiny is, they are responsible for it.

This also sends a message to N. Korea with that meeting coming up. If Trump can rid the world of both autocracies by hard-dealing, they'll be crowd-surfing him. Presumably that prospect is irrestisible to him.

Just trying to present an (objective) alternative perspective on this, which does seem reckless and counter-intuitive at first.

Edited by CharlesSwann
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, attrayant said:

Neither you nor Trump understands that oil is a highly fungible commodity.  It moves smoothly in and out of countries and their stockpiles; and gets traded again and again.  Iran will sell their light crude to other countries who may, in turn, resell it to us.  Or we could buy Canadian & Venezuelan crude which is heavier and requires much more refining.

Light Arabian oil is one of the most sought after in the world.  Iran won't have any trouble selling it.

Thank you. I learnt a new word today! I shall use fungible all the time now!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

Good point

I think China will provide a nuclear umbrella for a nuclear free re-united Korea. 

The USA will be asked to go!

I'm sure Japan will then have to announce its own deterrent 

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

OK, that's fine. Please leave the rest of the world alone. Make America Great and stay home ?

BTW, who destabilised Iran in the first place?

Da' Brits.  They stuffed up a lot of things besides Iran.

Britain first cast its imperial eye on Iran in the 19th century. Its appeal was location; it straddled the land route to India. Once established in Iran, the British quickly began investing — or looting, as some Iranians would say. British companies bought exclusive rights to establish banks, print currency, explore for minerals, run transit lines and even grow tobacco.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/opinion/sunday/irans-first-great-satan-was-england.html

10 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

I watched him announce this live and felt both extreme concern and an overwhelming state of depression. He lied, he mis stated the truth and twisted and spun the facts.

This is simply dreadful news. Bolton could barely hide his smile behind the rat on his top lip.

I hope that Europe collectively continue to support the deal and the same with China and Russia. We could rapidly see deals to trade in oil in Euro and Yuan.

Trump has just committed a crime against humanity, and how can anyone ever trust the US again when deals are agreed and signed and then torn up by the next President. The grave situation that now exists cannot be understated, it is a disaster and makes the US look like complete shysters.

Yes and still the Republican Congress will not do anything. They are complicit and as guilty as swamp king. I really hope they all get what they deserve. I fear thing will get far worse however. I will celebrate the day this cancer is distinguished. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1