Thai passengers charged extra because names too long to fit on boarding passes

webfact

They were charged for changing the name on their tickets, a standard practice at many airlines.

How come this has never happened before? There are lots of Thais out there with huge names.

• Like 2

I was going to comment on this but because it was thai airways getting on a thai family< i just sat back and laughed! if it would have been a western airline the thai's would be all up on irons but thai on thai? have at it! AND most of these names are a joke anyway. they may have a twenty letter last name but they are all called by a nick name of some sort, 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Did anyone else notice the irony of the fact that it is Thai Airways that is discriminating against Thai people! :shock1:

I was about to make the same point.

My full name is too long for boarding passes, too, but I have never been overcharged for it.  I have been challenged on one occasion about it not matching my passport.  However, reference to their computer screen and booking page has made it clear that I have booked in my full name and it is their system and boarding pass printer that has curtailed my family name.

• Like 1

The names and nationalities are irrelevant.  There are many other countries, Sri Lanka springs readily to mind, with very long names that would not fit in computerised documents; these are created by people with limited knowledge of the world around them in some cases.

The family was charged extra because the name on the computer booking did not match the name on the passport; TG had every right not accept them as passengers but used common sense to change the name and levy a fee.

It's just a prime example of the standard of reporting by the Sun, ignore the facts and create an attention grabbing headline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pearciderman said:

I am pretty sure that there are not 68.86 million different surnames in Thailand - are you sure you know what unique means?

You are aware that some people in the same family share the same surname?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

to suit some prat of an IT clown who designs an on-line system?

555. Many years ago had same argument/discussion with an IT idiot when all spare parts in the warehouse had to be in an accessible to all datsbase. They wanted all the parts to have a similar name format. I told them that when a guy looks in the manufacturer's parts list he wants to search for what the manufacturer calls it not to stand at some terminal trying to guess what the IT dept. called it. 

Sometimes IT guys can't see the wood for the trees. As above just make the field longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1