Travel Tip: check aircon in hotel room first!

RocketDog

Not sure that is 100%, many people have little concept of what a thermostat is and are impatient to get the room down in temperature, and think setting it lower will do the job faster. I have also come across many who like the room extra cold and to wrap up in bed or leave a window open. Even the room cleaners sometimes set it cold while they work. A working aircon should only take a matter of minutes to be blowing cold air.  I check mine by feeling for hot air being blown out of the compressor end too. 

Is anything 100%?

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Is anything 100%?

My best one was a resort I booked into and when we booked in and turned the aircon on a nest of ants decided to move house from there through the room.

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My best one was a resort I booked into and when we booked in and turned the aircon on a nest of ants decided to move house from there through the room.

Thats nothing, my ants got themselves knives and ketchup

I got bacteria infection in my lungs 2 times so far in Thailand in my 132 days of in country.  One time hotel room smelled moldy.  I guess I will be flushing room filters from now on.  Some are not the wall units but more built into the ceiling.    I will just have to try in future.  

On 5/9/2018 at 8:44 PM, farcanell said:

And do you then go down to the beach and start picking up trash?

Whats your reply got to do with the price of fish to my post...?

Key words are ' couple few mins' personally I don't like breathing in crap. No I don't go down the beach picking up trash? I do however pick up broken glass when I see it on the beach FYI but then thats just being a decent responsible human being

On 5/9/2018 at 11:03 PM, starfish said:

And then i spend 4 hours posting on facebook, how crappy things are here. Unfortunately my holiday is over, meanwhile :smile:

And where would you place your health v your holiday in your priorities? If you had ever seen some of the dirt that can be found in these filters that you are breathing in on you holiday you may have a change of opinion...?  a few mins thats all then enjoy your stay, is it really that hard??

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lokie said:

Whats your reply got to do with the price of fish to my post...?

Key words are ' couple few mins' personally I don't like breathing in crap. No I don't go down the beach picking up trash? I do however pick up broken glass when I see it on the beach FYI but then thats just being a decent responsible human being

Ah... perhaps that your doing a job that the thai business should be doing as providing you with a satisfactory room to stay in, having taken your money, but that they are too lazy, careless or inconsiderate

similarly, this same trait is shown in the management of one of the nation’s supposed main tourist attractions... it’s beachs, which should be clean safe and useable ( like your air conditioner)... but is/ are not (like your air conditioner)

and i see that the answer to the question was yes. You do similarly spend “a few minutes” ( as per AC issues) picking up rubbish “ broken glass”.... Good for you lokie ? better for thailand.

I got bacteria infection in my lungs 2 times so far in Thailand in my 132 days of in country.  One time hotel room smelled moldy.  I guess I will be flushing room filters from now on.  Some are not the wall units but more built into the ceiling.    I will just have to try in future.  

The ceiling units I just push the return air grill up and push the filter back, I don’t try to wash it.

I usually don’t even have to have anything to stand on, but shorter guys might.

If the air blows cold, I don’t even look at it.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Ah... perhaps that your doing a job that the thai business should be doing as providing you with a satisfactory room to stay in, having taken your money, but that they are too lazy, careless or inconsiderate

similarly, this same trait is shown in the management of one of the nation’s supposed main tourist attractions... it’s beachs, which should be clean safe and useable ( like your air conditioner)... but is/ are not (like your air conditioner)

and i see that the answer to the question was yes. You do similarly spend “a few minutes” ( as per AC issues) picking up rubbish “ broken glass”.... Good for you lokie ? better for thailand.

So you would not pick up broken glass that you happen upon on a beach because it is not your 'job' is basically what you are saying and happy to breath in potential stale air from dirty AC filters for same reason? Well thats good for you 

32 minutes ago, Lokie said:

So you would not pick up broken glass that you happen upon on a beach because it is not your 'job' is basically what you are saying and happy to breath in potential stale air from dirty AC filters for same reason? Well thats good for you 

That’s not what I’m actually saying at all.

i would look....  and call the front desk and tell them to sort it.... it’s their duty and job.... then slam the poo out of them if I was still I satisfied.

i usually book via TripAdvisor, and despite their no refund policy ( by them as a booking agent vs accommodation provider... ) I have previously forced a refund from them, to be applied to the hotel next door, which was of a better standard, (similar cost) given I book on the strength of their website

as to glass on the beach.... I treat it like beached poop, and avoid it, favoring pools with hot and cold running berverage servers.

obviously we look for different things in our holiday choices, and have different expectations in those choices. Me... I look for a relaxing get away from work (not my job) free from everyday stress ( like stepping around broken glass and poop)... but maybe that’s just me.

3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

i would look....  and call the front desk and tell them to sort it.... it’s their duty and job.... then slam the poo out of them if I was still I satisfied.

i usually book via TripAdvisor, and despite their no refund policy ( by them as a booking agent vs accommodation provider... ) I have previously forced a refund from them, to be applied to the hotel next door, which was of a better standard, (similar cost) given I book on the strength of their website

as to glass on the beach.... I treat it like beached poop, and avoid it, favoring pools with hot and cold running berverage servers.

obviously we look for different things in our holiday choices, and have different expectations in those choices. Me... I look for a relaxing get away from work (not my job) free from everyday stress ( like stepping around broken glass and poop)... but maybe that’s just me.

We agree to differ then, in my book I would rather spend as I said a few mins checking and rinsing out filters on an AC unit then the hassle of reporting to reception etc for all the reasons posted in this thread by others which will take a lot longer and raise BP I would have thought? Less than five mins to clean an AC, Im relaxing in a safe environment while you are attempting to explain your issues with reception... Good luck with that 555

That sounds quick, easy and relaxing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lol... as I’m sitting beside the pool, or in a restaurant, enjoying a meal or beverage, my BP is being managed perfectly.

but it your really worried about being in a “safe environment” then perhaps you should rethink any obsession you may have with your air conditioner, and get yourself a UV light... that will tell you the truth about your health safety, moreso than a dusty air con filter

or better, for a really scary wake up to your safety in a hotel etc.... get one of these...

57EA40AD-DE1E-4A7D-9880-5D8BB193357F.png

I pick up glass on the beach.  I feel this says something about me.  One thing is I remember how a cut foot ruins a summer vacation.   It's obvious on TV we have different types of people.  Don't argue just be happy with who you are.  

For me I can spend time in a pool anywhere.  I rarely pay inflated pool side prices for drinks or service.  That's just me.  

• Thanks 1

I was last in an hotel in Sing Buri 3 nights ago (for one night). Aircon was set to 15deg. Got back to the room at around midnight, after a good few beers with the wife. Shower and bed, aircon blasting out.

Woke with no lung infection, still ok now.

Most hotels I've stayed in, the ceilings are rather high and the aircon unit 7 - 8ft above floor level.

You guys who clean your hotel room aircon filters, do you check in with step ladders just in case?

You all need to drink more, take your mind off the aircon.

If you're on holiday in the same room for 2 weeks then get another room but why would you clean the aircon yourselves?

• Like 1

I was last in an hotel in Sing Buri 3 nights ago (for one night). Aircon was set to 15deg. Got back to the room at around midnight, after a good few beers with the wife. Shower and bed, aircon blasting out.

Most hotels I've stayed in, the ceilings are rather high and the aircon unit 7 - 8ft above floor level.

You guys who clean your hotel room aircon filters, do you check in with step ladders just in case?

If you're on holiday in the same room for 2 weeks then get another room but why would you clean the aircon yourselves?

This has been gone over a number of times, but it is often quicker and easier to clean or move the filter than call and have someone come and look at it.

Also, if you check in late, the “technician” will likely come up, play with the Thermostat and say it’s okay. Remember, when it gets down to 26 degrees, they’re looking for a jacket.

So if you insist it’s not cool enough, they’ll offer to move you, which takes a half hour, then you find out the air conditioner in the new room has a clogged filter as well, because of course it was serviced at the same time as the other room.

So if you still insist it’s not cool enough, the’ll send the “technician” again....

I’m guessing you guys don’t realize how easy cleaning or moving the filter is.
  • Thanks 1

To be clear, i would only clean the filter, not the unit.

8’ ceiling I could do standing on floor, but again, it it’s in the ceiling, I would only move it out of the way, not try to clean it.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

To be clear, i would only clean the filter, not the unit.

8’ ceiling I could do standing on floor, but again, it it’s in the ceiling, I would only move it out of the way, not try to clean it.

To both your above posts, fair enough mate. It's just not something I would consider doing.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:33 AM, farcanell said:

Lol... as I’m sitting beside the pool, or in a restaurant, enjoying a meal or beverage, my BP is being managed perfectly.

but it your really worried about being in a “safe environment” then perhaps you should rethink any obsession you may have with your air conditioner, and get yourself a UV light... that will tell you the truth about your health safety, moreso than a dusty air con filter

or better, for a really scary wake up to your safety in a hotel etc.... get one of these...

57EA40AD-DE1E-4A7D-9880-5D8BB193357F.png

Now now.., stay on topic farcanell - theres a good chap! you have already brought beaches into the discussion on AC units and now are going far off base with UV lights and hygiene monitoring equipment? After completely missing the point of how easy it is to do a quick check/clean of filters which is what a few respondents have mentioned including myself, you attempt to put forward your easy relaxing solution which if you read what you have stated is an oxymoron. 

I would think the consensus is that it is more hassle to start ringing reception and attempting to explain an issue with your AC, but I will stand to be corrected on that, it works for me and I feel happier that I am not breathing in contents of filthy filters that could cause potential illness.

My first post in the thread was actually commenting on what I do at my place rather than a hotel, but I do have a quick check in any room I am going to sleep in anywhere in the world as it is so easy to check AC filters and that is the point.  

Although I have commented on many forum topics, this is the first one I started myself. I guess it will be the last too..

I counted exactly one comment germane to the original post.

although I did pick up an idea reminding  me that it is pretty easy and quick to clean the air filter on most units. Also several people had the good sense to agree  that expecting Thai business operators to quickly and competently respond to customer complaints is simply a wishful fantasy. Solve the issue yourself, ignore it, or take your business elsewhere..

I saw and foolishly responded to a troll post regarding the room price.. Lesson learned;shame on me.

The bulk of the replies were ping-pong bickering between a few self-righteous folks denigrating information offered in the spirit of helpfulness by others.

It's sad that apparently some folks use these forums not as information sharing opportunities but instead as a self-aggrandizing vehicle to criticize and bloviate while offering nothing useful to anybody concerned.

The valuable observation for me was that most meaningful replies took place in the first one or two pages. After that the forum is mostly hijacked by hacks who are squandering their own time and that of others with annoying and belligerent carping.

Nevertheless, a few grains of wheat were gained, some chaff, and way too much plain old dirt.

My thanks to those who genuinely tried to add something meaningful.