Fed Up with so called 'Tourist Attractions'

Pilotman

I don't see how temples are "real attractions". I see busses pull up full of tourists and lots of crap and trinkets for sale and lots of places to drop cash with nothing in return also. Sure looks like any other tourist trap I've ever seen. 

8 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

LOL...it's supply and demand, don't go to them and they will fade away. I would list some horrendous ones for you, but i'd likely end up in court, nowadays you have to use websites like trust pilot, however for every negative review posted the business owners post 10 positives.

Trustpilot. I agree. The biggest scamsite ever

4 hours ago, Ulic said:

My favorite is the Pattaya fake floating market. Expensive souvenirs and they also want

a wacking big entry fee. 

Hua Hin has one of those fake floating markets.  I laughed my ass off when I stopped and walked up to it.  It's in the middle of nowhere and not a river in sight just a pond.  My wife and I drove off. Even she laughed. 

The OP never stated whether he was living here or visiting.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I looked up the top recommendations for Chiang Mai on Trip Advisor and found a much nicer picture than for Pattaya. 

Top recommendation was to go to up Doi Suthep to take in the temple and the view of Chiang Mai.  Yup, that's a good place to start, at least when the air is clear.  Various other temples dominated the top recommendations, as did other outdoor activities like hiking, visiting the nice park in the SW corner of the Old City, touring the area by bicycle or Segway, visiting the various night markets, especially the excellent Saturday and Sunday evening markets.  Tanin Market and Warorot Market, both excellent functioning Thai markets popular with the locals.  Classes in Thai cooking, yoga, meditation.  Only two "tourist trap" places made the top list and both are good, in my opinion -- the Art in Paradise 3D Museum, a good place to spend a hot afternoon taking fun photos with your friends and the Insect Museum, also well done and educational.  And of course elephant camps, but those definitely are fun for someone who has never been.

Sure, there are monkey farms, snake shows, ziplines, long neck women displays and other tourist trap places near Chiang Mai but they don't make the top lists for anyone doing any research.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JAFO said:
11 hours ago, Ulic said:

Hua Hin has one of those fake floating markets.  I laughed my ass off when I stopped and walked up to it.  It's in the middle of nowhere and not a river in sight just a pond.  My wife and I drove off. Even she laughed. 

I was so impressed by the Pattaya floating market after they charged just me to enter that I refused to buy absolutely anything in there and couldn't get out quick enough. A pile of stinking dog dooh !

On 12/5/2561 at 9:46 AM, NancyL said:

Out of curiosity, I looked up the top recommendations for Chiang Mai on Trip Advisor and found a much nicer picture than for Pattaya. 

Top recommendation was to go to up Doi Suthep to take in the temple and the view of Chiang Mai.  Yup, that's a good place to start, at least when the air is clear.  Various other temples dominated the top recommendations, as did other outdoor activities like hiking, visiting the nice park in the SW corner of the Old City, touring the area by bicycle or Segway, visiting the various night markets, especially the excellent Saturday and Sunday evening markets.  Tanin Market and Warorot Market, both excellent functioning Thai markets popular with the locals.  Classes in Thai cooking, yoga, meditation.  Only two "tourist trap" places made the top list and both are good, in my opinion -- the Art in Paradise 3D Museum, a good place to spend a hot afternoon taking fun photos with your friends and the Insect Museum, also well done and educational.  And of course elephant camps, but those definitely are fun for someone who has never been.

Sure, there are monkey farms, snake shows, ziplines, long neck women displays and other tourist trap places near Chiang Mai but they don't make the top lists for anyone doing any research.

I had a great day in Chang Mai , some 13 years ago. I basically went for a walk and ended up getting lost. I found some wonderful little temples and market areas, not a tourist in sight. stopped occassionally for refreshment and kept walking. Eventually, I came accross a tuk tuk to get me back to my hotel. I'd never be able to find those places again, but it was one of my better days when travelling.

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 3:04 PM, JAFO said:

Let's be realistic.  Tourism and western Theme park type locations are not viable here. They open and close like a night club in the US. The Zoos are OK.  The juvenile animal petting theme deals are pathetic.

Most come to Thailand to travel around and see some really nice beaches ( They do exist), take in some cultural activities and relax  The only viable long standing tourist businesses are sadly in the Sex business sector. It will take Years to change that image (if ever)

If you live here (Like I do) you learn quickly what is fun to go off an do and what to stay away from. I have found going off the beaten path and staying away from pretend western tourist locations are waaay better.  

Never liked tourist attractions.

Much prefer a nice hotel on a nice beach ( they do exist )

Maybe have breakfast in the hotel and maybe lunch with a beer on the beach but generally  we carry a cool box in the car with sliced meats cheeses nice bread ( home made ) and in the evening we sit on the balcony and have a bottle of wine ( or two ) and relax.

The thought of an organised 'tourist attraction'  of any kind, full of the great unwashed, noisy kids and rip-off prices is something we never consider.

Edited by overherebc

On 5/12/2018 at 7:32 AM, JAFO said:

The OP never stated whether he was living here or visiting.

Living here.