80% of speedboats move to Bali Hai after botched beach relocation

Rimmer

80% of speedboats move to Bali Hai after botched beach relocation

image.png

PATTAYA:--About 80 percent of the speedboats using Pattaya Beach have moved to Bali Hai Pier following the city’s failed attempt to move them a week earlier.

Both tourists and boat crews manically scurried around the South Pattaya jetty May 8 looking for boats, berths and passengers. As expected, there weren’t enough docks for the boats, which is a major reason why the boat vendors ignored city hall’s May 1 “D-Day” to move off the beach where they have operated since the military mismanaged last year’s botched relocation.

Komkrit Polvichit, head of the Special Affairs Division of the city’s municipal police, said about 80 percent of boats and ferries using the beach had moved, but others had to remain on the sand as they had pre-arranged to meet customers there long ago.

He admitted that Bali Hai still needs development to handle the full load of boats that ferry people between the mainland and islands each day. Once the pier has adequate facilities, all operators will be forced to move.

Pattaya’s knee-jerk May 1 attempt to move all the speedboat operators to Bali Hai Pier failed miserably, with the city council admitting it had been too hasty.

The council on April 24 reacted to criticism by Chon­buri Province by announcing that, effective May 1, all tourist boats would again be banned from Pattaya Beach and required to use Bali Hai Pier. Deputy Gov. Chawalit Saeng-Uthai blasted Pattaya administrators for failing to follow through on last year’s plans to move the speedboat operators and claimed their indifference had created a safety problem.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/80-speedboats-move-bali-hai-botched-beach-relocation-209422

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-05-11

how do they expect to handle 15000 tourists  a day at bali pier...these insane numbers are because of the budget tour hook'' 1 free parasial to all.. ..try offering more options .1 free seafood buffet or 1 free elephant show or a free selfie stick,you cannot accommodate those numbers daily without conciquences..and we in pattaya north are suffering these consequenses ...but this all about revenue for the boat operators and platform crew,who are paid x per /head ,even if the tourist sits it out on the beach  this a daily morning ''invasion''of 1000's on the beach..and I submit to anyone who thinks deffernt,come down at 730-900 any day and witness this insanity for yourself.....everyone wants a ''piece of the budget tourist pie'' as they destroy what is left of this once great beach resort....shamless Thailand...

Edited by mok199
speliings
  • Like 2

Pattaya was less dirty 20 years ago.  I swam in Chon Buri almost 20 years ago

and there as already some plastic in the water back then. Actually Koh Lan was

nice about 20 to 25 years ago, not any more. Amazingly Dirty Thailand~!

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error
  • Like 2

Maybe better to build some small jetties along Pattaya and Jomtien beaches for the use of speed boats carrying less than 20 passengers. prohibit use of the beach and a small fee to pick up and land passengers to cover the cost of maintaining.

update..sat /12 /18...chaos as usual filthy smoke belching tour buses screaming around at 6000 rpm,100's of thai parasial crew screaming, touting  ,littering,herding... in general ,thai males ,doing what thai males do best '' look for attention ''... speed boats reving engines in shallow water trying to sound  ''formula 1ish''..and 1000's of Chinese following the flag..a day in a life

All boats remaining on Beach Road are due to re-locate to Bali Hai tomorrow, the 14th.

Chaos is expected at Bali Hai; due to there being more boats than berths; and subsequent backtracing to shortly follow with boats returning back to the beach by the end of the month.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:11 PM, Chang_paarp said:

While I agree with the first part of what you wrote here, but I am confused by the last bit, could you please point me to the "once great beach resort".

Surely to personally verify anything that is claimed to be "once great" you would need  a Time Travel machine.....

Edited by Jeremia Juxtaposed

Pattaya council botching systems; edicts; management; anti-litter enforcement; flood control?  False News surely.  Next we'll be reading the local plod are stifling business and the taximeters are all working.

Edited by mikebell
additional idea.

3 minutes ago, McGregor21 said:

How about get several big ferrys, that leave every 30 min...from bali hai to Koh Larn..cut out all these daft speed boats

Because when a speed boat sinks in rough weather, only 13 Chinese die.

When a ferry sinks, it's considerably more.

Minimizing their losses !!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, McGregor21 said:

How about get several big ferrys, that leave every 30 min...from bali hai to Koh Larn..cut out all these daft speed boats

dont they do this already.....your comment is stupid....they have been going to koh larn on a daily basis for many yrs...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, essox essox said:

they have been going to koh larn on a daily basis for many yrs...

Yes they have and its a cheap service, there has been cases of overloading and accidents in the past

maybe time for some bigger boats ?

On 15/05/2018 at 7:03 AM, McGregor21 said:

a speed boat takes 15 to 20 mins to get to Koh Larn.....bigger boat is more like 45 mins.....

update..16th ...chaos is much better on the beach with the 2 main areas still stressed,across from hard rock and soi 3 ,and few scattered places in between..but I must say definley better than last week...

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:07 AM, darksidedog said:

Further evidence that it is easy to issue instructions, though said instructions, once again, are coming from people with absolutely no concept of the issues involved. A simple count of the boats and a look at the size of the pier would tell you it cant cope. It would really help if from the top down, some intelligence was applied before unachievable deadlines are put in place.

Oh you mean Dilbert type stuff like I get at work every day from the incompetent engineers that were promoted up to management?  Sadly, even after I retire like soon, I will still have to deal with nuttiness in other sectors of my life. Oh well.  try to minimize interactions with such things

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2018 at 8:19 PM, mok199 said:

update..16th ...chaos is much better on the beach with the 2 main areas still stressed,across from hard rock and soi 3 ,and few scattered places in between..but I must say definley better than last week...

update sat 23 rd june and all the speedboats are back using pattaya beach again. 07.00  and i counted 20 lined up opposite royal garden plaza and another 20 opposite tahitian queen. this is not even the main area activity which is soi 6 to around hard rock hotel. total abject failure.

loads of buses discharging loads of chinese.

from today

1538495360_23june007(Custom).JPG.99fdd6202a6300c6894dd5a27505308f.JPG

221619874_23june014(Custom).JPG.f689f0f3336b8023f6bcd22a077db8c1.JPG

1094577167_23june015(Custom).JPG.5e19bbc3d37719aa2018e25e3114a7f8.JPG

336151876_23june018(Custom).JPG.ef7421dd47af7da7e29ed33a5e1d1ff2.JPG

678042468_23june022(Custom).JPG.d352d9a53aae17cebd6ca37fae88c686.JPG

second group of boats

1038275563_23june025(Custom).JPG.cf4ec2d79d006c053a1656b00cf20988.JPG

before you cross the road you have to get past the flip flops and hats

• Like 2

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 7:03 AM, McGregor21 said:

No that would mean more tourists. Koh larn is at bursting point as it is 

How about cutting back on ferrys for its long term health 

Near A One hotel it is just as busy as ever. Basically, everyone was told to go to Bali Hai and the collective response has been to ignore the instruction and carry on as normal.

I quite admire the defiance.

Businesses on the beach are fed up of interference from authorities. Wednesday closing is the best example. Why?

If the beach was cleaned up more than once in a blue moon, maybe the authorities would get some respect.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, striderman said:

update sat 23 rd june and all the speedboats are back using pattaya beach again. 07.00  and i counted 20 lined up opposite royal garden plaza and another 20 opposite tahitian queen. this is not even the main area activity which is soi 6 to around hard rock hotel. total abject failure.

loads of buses discharging loads of chinese.

from today

1538495360_23june007(Custom).JPG.99fdd6202a6300c6894dd5a27505308f.JPG

221619874_23june014(Custom).JPG.f689f0f3336b8023f6bcd22a077db8c1.JPG

1094577167_23june015(Custom).JPG.5e19bbc3d37719aa2018e25e3114a7f8.JPG

336151876_23june018(Custom).JPG.ef7421dd47af7da7e29ed33a5e1d1ff2.JPG

678042468_23june022(Custom).JPG.d352d9a53aae17cebd6ca37fae88c686.JPG

second group of boats

1038275563_23june025(Custom).JPG.cf4ec2d79d006c053a1656b00cf20988.JPG

before you cross the road you have to get past the flip flops and hats

yes sir ..the boats are back the buses and the chaos ...I was afraid it was too good to be true..sad, I think the beach is owned by the tour groups now..

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Monkeyrobot said:

It was great 20 years ago. 

The beach was rubbish 20 years ago, and no sensible person swam there. Pattaya was great in the EARLY 90s, but went down hill after Purachai wreaked havoc. Never recovered and gone beyond the point of no return.

Doesn't matter how many expensive hotels, shopping malls and condos they build, it'll never be a successful resort town without rebuilding most of it.

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

yes sir ..the boats are back the buses and the chaos ...I was afraid it was too good to be true..sad, I think the beach is owned by the tour groups now..

Thanks to striderman for those photos. Now I know not to bother going there on a short holiday.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks to striderman for those photos. Now I know not to bother going there on a short holiday.

Pattaya has been ''Thrown under the bus'', more chaos,traffic ,garbage and pollution is just ''collateral damage''...we all knew it could never be great, but... it could be'' much better.''..

Edited by mok199
speliings

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:40 AM, mok199 said:

Pattaya has been ''Thrown under the bus'', more chaos,traffic ,garbage and pollution is just ''collateral damage''...we all knew it could never be great, but... it could be'' much better.''..

Actually, it was great, back in the early 90s. Then some decided it should become a family resort city and it's gone down hill ever since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1