Thousands Dead, Hundreds More Dogs Now Dying Due To Scare: Foundation

snoop1130

38 minutes ago, michael walker said:

hope it continues  , good control on this problem with wild dogs biting people

Yeah, it's an epidemic, dogs biting people. That's why I stay holed up at home now, too many Cujos roaming the streets.

Edit: For those a little slow, it's...

82e07402c94674dab1761ed5cba76725 (2017_03_24 02_12_25 UTC).jpg

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I'm not overly fond of dogs but like many there's no way I want to see them suffer like this.  But Thais have a sickly sentimental attitude towards strays. I live in one of the better housing estates, yet I can't go for a run in the evening because of the dogs.  It's really bad that they should face dog camp or lethal injection.

In my little community of 7 executive style houses, there are 25 "owned" dogs. Myself and the guy next door don't have any. Although they all have collars, most roam around unrestrained and bark and chase vehicles continuously.

I put it to the farang owner of six dogs that they weren't pets but a pack that mainly hung around ouside his house waiting for food.

It's the irresponsible, so-called owners who should be put in the pound, not the poor dumb animals.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I can tell you about an unprovoked dog bite or 2.

I have lived her 15 years.  During that time I have been bitten 3 times.  2 superficial.. but drew blood... and one serious, requiring stitches.  A neighbour also got the end of his finger bitten off by his own 'rescued' dog when he went to pick up the TV remote.  

I'm a dog lover as well, but I believe you 100% when you say an unprovoked dog can still bite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WHYWHY said:

People should have a License for pets this is sad 

They dont even have a licence to drive the killing machines they use Every day..

Regulations are just a token thing here.

Unless theres a sleight of hand payment  in it.

LOS is becoming LO$...

Show me the money...

Show me themoney...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I seriously doubt they are confiscating dogs from peoples homes. The level of paranoia being expressed here is reminiscent of the PC crowd back home. The fact is these soi dogs lead miserable lives. They are infested with disease, rabies, and many are nasty creatures, bark all night long, harass the domesticated dogs, and the locals, and lower the quality of life for many. If people would simply stop feeding them, there would not be such a proliferation of them. The most humane thing to do, is to round them up, and put them down. Nobody is going to come to claim a mangy dog. 

no one said they were confiscating them from peoples homes. as the article said they were convincing people to hand over their dogs

3 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

The problem is not the dogs... It is the many Thais that love to buy small cute puppies at the market..

Puppies get big and then they throw them out.....

While that is true, the term 'Christmas Puppies' did not originate in Thailand......................:thumbsup:

Count the number of shelters in your home country and the number of animals euthanised daily because of this problem. On this count, the only real difference are the shelters in the west have some sponsorship and they don't have a problem with putting animals to sleep that cannot be re-homed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tigermoth said:

If the dog is kept within the owner's property and only goes outside when on a leash then there is no way these dogs will have rabies. It is only due to the total lack of enforced dog control by the authorities that a dog problem exists here, totally caused by unowned strays, (soi dogs), which are nothing more than wild animals. These are obviously reinforced by negligent owners, again lack of authorities caring and excersising any control. If someone does not claim these caged animals within 48 hours of capture they should be put down.

That is not strictly true.

You need to remember that rabies is not specific to canines. Nothing to stop say, a cat getting onto your premises and getting into a fight with your dog and scratching it. Same would apply if a bat was roosting on your property and the dog attacked it. Far fetched I know but, these are just two of many animals known to carry rabies.

To have the attitude that these dogs are never in danger of catching rabies, you are potentially putting yourself and your family at risk.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

Maybe people’s opinions would change if they got bitten by one. I have been walking into Soi Bukhao using the same route for over 18 months. I see the same Soi dogs every time, never bother me. Thursday one of them bit me on the leg, broke the skin, never seen it coming as it came from behind me, I was more focused on a truck which was passing close too me.

City Hospital, Pattaya, 1 Tetanus and the first of 4 Post Rabies Vaccinators, the last one will have to be in the UK as I will not be here.

Couldnt fault the service after booking in straight too the Emergency Room, sorted in 20 minutes. 

For me round all the Soi dogs up, take them too a local compound at the same publicising if the dog is not claimed in 2 weeks it will be put down. I love dogs not their fault what goes on but what benefits do Soi dogs bring too the community.

It is unfortunate that that happened to you, and yes, there is no hiding the fact that soi dogs in Thailand are a huge problem.

However that is not the issue of the OP; you agree to an extent with what is happening in the highlighted sentence above. The issue was that dogs pets were coerced from their owners and put into shelters with the soi dogs. In this instance, if true, it wouldn't matter how well the pet was looked after at home, how up-to-date it was with vaccinations, it's health would very quickly become the same as the rest of the pack.

Again, if true, the government allow regional authorities to abuse there protocols, or misinterpret them by coercing owners to give up there pets instead of keeping them indoors and monitor them (as is the correct procedure) then they are increasing the problem and not solving it.

Just to clarify, I am speaking as a dog owner myself. I could not comprehend being told to surrender my animals to be kept quarantined in conditions described in the OP. I do however know that I would not be following the law in response to being told to do that. 

Edited by chrisinth
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

well, I see it's heart breaking.....made for making a bad conscience to get the tears flowing.

However Thais in general are not caring for dogs .

So it's not surprising that scabies, rabies, or whatever is out breaking.

And.......let's be honest, there are far too many dogs in Thailand. Under Thaksin is was different by the way.

Don't call me cruel. I have a black Labrador mix. And he is cared for in a proper way with regular "inspections" by a VET.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Hmmm...

Think about that.  There are far fewer monkeys then street dogs.  Bats don't really come into contact with humans as much as street dogs either... you don't see dozens of bats laying about outside 7 / 11 for instance.  

I don't know about cats.  But again, they are not in large packs and don't seem to have the numbers as high as the dogs.  They are also more fearful of strangers by nature and tend to run off, rather than chase people or motorbikes in my experience.  

Rabies is rabies.

When an outbreak occurs it does not necessarily mean that humans are in the equation at the beginning. It is the spread of the rabies throughout the animal world that will finally affect us humans that, through our evolution have separated ourselves from the said animal world.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

Making me out a liar then, no way did I provoke the dog, I was walking at a leisurely pace minding my own business and as I said come from behind me. I have seen it in the past being aggressive with people passing by and they weren’t provoking it either.

I would be the very last person it bit, no need for a dog pond or euthanasia  - just dead.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

They dont even have a licence to drive the killing machines they use Every day..

Regulations are just a token thing here.

Unless theres a sleight of hand payment  in it.

LOS is becoming LO$...

Show me the money...

Show me themoney...

is that like no money no honey :sorry:

• Like 1

From memory, it was Arthur C. Clarke who suggested aliens would be judging the human race on the basis of how it treated its animals.

I don't disagree dogs should be put down if they are a health risk; however, it should be done quickly and humanely.

• Like 1