Is there any known withdrawl limit using thai credit cards in Europe ?

I think that what you are asking about is obtaining a cash advance on your credit card ?

Presumably, the limit is the credit limit that the bank has given you. This should be shown on your monthly statement. I don't think the bank cares whether you withdraw cash up to your limit in one transaction, or in a series of withdrawals as you need the money.

I'm thinking 20,000 Baht a day. Or whatever the limit is in the country you are in. You can probably get more inside the bank at the counter by filling in a withdrawal form and presenting your card.

2 hours ago, tompelli said:

In any event, it is always best to inform the bank(s) to expect transactions from abroad.

If you don't inform them and get approval, credit and ATM debit will not work overseas, guaranteed.  

The cards are working fine but I recognise in Raifeisen bank was always possible to withdrawl with my thai cards but this year no more the bank says the did not block anything it's the thai bank that changing the rules other bank still work fine

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

if u mean raifeisen bank Germany  theb\n tere is Always a problem with credit cards and pin cards many places dont take pin and nothing in the way of creditcard 

banks als difficult to pin cash dont know why this .

On the subject: Bangkok Bank is dropping the VISA and Plus logos from their cards; in the branch they told me it is a new requirement by the Bank of Thailand, which means that all other banks will also have to do that. That would certainly mean you cannot use your ATM card at foreign ATMs any more. Does anybody know more about it?

Very hard to believe, especially now that Thai tourists are becoming a significant force on the international scene. I saw recently that Thailand was the 4th largest source of foreign tourists in Japan for whatever period was being reported (I think it was 2017).  I don't think Thailand would even have made the list ten years ago.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, allane said:

Very hard to believe, especially now that Thai tourists are becoming a significant force on the international scene. I saw recently that Thailand was the 4th largest source of foreign tourists in Japan for whatever period was being reported (I think it was 2017).  I don't think Thailand would even have made the list ten years ago.

Right; I said something similar to the bank employee, but she cannot do anything about it. Also check out the new design of the ATM cards; no VISA logo any more.

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

On the subject: Bangkok Bank is dropping the VISA and Plus logos from their cards; in the branch they told me it is a new requirement by the Bank of Thailand, which means that all other banks will also have to do that. That would certainly mean you cannot use your ATM card at foreign ATMs any more. Does anybody know more about it?

Old news.   No it's "not" a new Bank of Thailand requirement; it's purely a Bangkok Bank business decision to change payment network (i.e., logo) used for its debit card.  The bank rep told you an untruth in trying to deflect from the real reason. Bank of Thailand has zero to do with it....purely a Bangkok  Bank business decision. 

The great majority of Thai banks still only use Visa and Mastercard debit cards.  And Bangkok Bank still issues Visa "credit" cards.    

The reason for the change is because "Bangkok Bank" joined up with UnionPay to created a new payment system service named the Thai Payment Network (TPN)....it's just another of many new payment systems competing for business.  TPN only works "within Thailand."  Bangkok Bank owns 50% of TPN and UnionPay owns the other 50%. 

Additionally, on the new Bangkok Bank debit card you will notice it's really a "dual logo" card of TPN and UnionPay although its routinely referred to as their UnionPay card.   With the UnionPay logo applicable the card can also be used "outside" of Thailand and in non-Bankgok Bank ATMs which utilize the Visa/Mastercard/UnionPay/Cirrus/etc...and can also be used in Point of Service machines (i.e., merchant checkout) which support UnionPay.  But most Thai merchants still do not support UnionPay.  

So, instead of needing to give Visa a big slice of the fees earned from "debit" card POS transactions and ATM transactions, Bangkok Bank is able to get/avoid those fees...or should I say share the fees earned only with their business partner UnionPay.   

Summary: Bankgok Bank is hoping their new dual logo card (UnionPay and TPN) will earn them more fees/profits.

Notice...it's a dual logo card...TPN and UnionPay.  TPN is 50% owned by Bangkok  Bank and 50% by UnionPay.

image.png.28a590cfacc3376f6a272e63734fb173.png

Edited by Pib

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Old news.   No it's "not" a new Bank of Thailand requirement; it's purely a Bangkok Bank business decision to change payment network (i.e., logo) used for its debit card.  The bank rep told you an untruth in trying to deflect from the real reason. Bank of Thailand has zero to do with it....purely a Bangkok  Bank business decision. 

The great majority of Thai banks still only use Visa and Mastercard debit cards.  And Bangkok Bank still issues Visa "credit" cards.    

The reason for the change is because "Bangkok Bank" joined up with UnionPay to created a new payment system service named the Thai Payment Network (TPN)....it's just another of many new payment systems competing for business.  TPN only works "within Thailand."  Bangkok Bank owns 50% of TPN and UnionPay owns the other 50%. 

Additionally, on the new Bangkok Bank debit card you will notice it's really a "dual logo" card of TPN and UnionPay although its routinely referred to as their UnionPay card.   With the UnionPay logo applicable the card can also be used "outside" of Thailand and in non-Bankgok Bank ATMs which utilize the Visa/Mastercard/UnionPay/Cirrus/etc...and can also be used in Point of Service machines (i.e., merchant checkout) which support UnionPay.  But most Thai merchants still do not support UnionPay.  

So, instead of needing to give Visa a big slice of the fees earned from "debit" card POS transactions and ATM transactions, Bangkok Bank is able to get/avoid those fees...or should I say share the fees earned only with their business partner UnionPay.   

Summary: Bankgok Bank is hoping their new dual logo card (UnionPay and TPN) will earn them more fees/profits.

Notice...it's a dual logo card...TPN and UnionPay.  TPN is 50% owned by Bangkok  Bank and 50% by UnionPay.

image.png.28a590cfacc3376f6a272e63734fb173.png

Thanks a lot for the explanation! That makes sense. I am not sure that the Cirrus logo is still on the new card, I will probably know tomorrow.

So I'll transfer my money to one of my accounts at the other banks that still have the Visa and Plus logos. I want to be able to use my debit card as an ATM card worldwide.

I also have an account at Krungsri Bank...they give Visa debit cards.  

Edit: And I do have accounts at Bangkok Bank also...and have a Visa debit card...and I got it about a year ago when the bank was already well into their push to only issue UnionPay debit card.    I had to get a new one because an ATM ate my Visa debit card.  When I went into Bangkok Bank to get a replacement debit card the first thing I said is I want a Visa card and not the UnionPay card.  The wife went with me because I wanted to swap out her Bangkok Bank old style magnetic strip card for a chipped card.  Anyway, we both got Visa debit chipped cards....still using them.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 12:13 PM, jmccarty said:

If you don't inform them and get approval, credit and ATM debit will not work overseas, guaranteed.  

That is definitely not the case with Thai Credit/Debit cards from KBank/SCB/UOB.

I use them routinely all over the world and have never informed them of anything.

Maybe you are referring to cards issued in other countries?

11 hours ago, Pib said:

I also have an account at Krungsri Bank...they give Visa debit cards.  

Edit: And I do have accounts at Bangkok Bank also...and have a Visa debit card...and I got it about a year ago when the bank was already well into their push to only issue UnionPay debit card.    I had to get a new one because an ATM ate my Visa debit card.  When I went into Bangkok Bank to get a replacement debit card the first thing I said is I want a Visa card and not the UnionPay card.  The wife went with me because I wanted to swap out her Bangkok Bank old style magnetic strip card for a chipped card.  Anyway, we both got Visa debit chipped cards....still using them.

Thanks for the info. When we are at Bangkok Bank later today, I'll see whether they will still issue the Visa debit card if we insist.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, onthemoon said:

Thanks for the info. When we are at Bangkok Bank later today, I'll see whether they will still issue the Visa debit card if we insist.

No, they don't issue debit cards with the VISA or Plus logos any more. The staff this time said that BBL cancelled the contract, so it is not because of any Bank of Thailand regulation. I said we then have no choice but to switch to another bank, and she indicated that she would  understand that. She also admitted that for online bookings, TG and Thai Smile won't accept Unionpay.

So...

38 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

No, they don't issue debit cards with the VISA or Plus logos any more. The staff this time said that BBL cancelled the contract, so it is not because of any Bank of Thailand regulation. I said we then have no choice but to switch to another bank, and she indicated that she would  understand that. She also admitted that for online bookings, TG and Thai Smile won't accept Unionpay.

So...

Yeap, a LOT of merchants in Thailand whether at a physical store or online do not accept UnionPay.

Bangkok Bank just made a "business decision" replace Visa with the dual logo TPN and UnionPay card.  A key aspect of the card is the Thai Payment Network (TPN) portion which is a new "in-Thailand" payment system....seems a new payment system is popping-up daily trying to get a piece of the payments business. 

Bangkok Bank has basically changed bed partners from Visa to UnionPay and is joint..owner of the new TPN.   

TPN aims for mass debit card roll-out

Thai Payment Network Co (TPN), a joint venture between Bangkok Bank (BBL) and China's UnionPay International (UPI), aims to issue 3-5 million debit cards in the first year of its operations.

The company plans to introduce a card payment system to link its bank members next month and roll out debit cards in May, TPN's chairman Shoke Na Ranong said without elaborating on which banks will be its members.

TPN, in which BBL and UPI initially owned a 50% stake each, was set up to be the first local debit card network service provider, creating a new system for electronic payments in Thailand. 

More info

https://m.unionpayintl.com/wap/en/mediaCenter/newsCenter/companyNews/3014342.shtml

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2016-02/25/c_135128065.htm

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

Does anyone know if the new six-digit PIN debit cards work in European ATM's?

I have had no problems with KBank chipped 6 digit cards in European ATM's

Even POS transactions require a PIN entry but work perfectly. In Thailand, no PIN required. I find that a bit ironic.

Preaching to the choir I know for many...but for others listening in...the merchant has X-amount control over whether a signature, PIN, or no signature is required when using a card...and even if they accept debit or credit cards....they might accept credit cards...but not debit cards (or vis-versa). 

Becoming quite common here in Thailand for purchase amounts below Bt1500 to not require a signature...called a low ticket value purchase.  Can't speak to how frequently that method is used in other countries....by merchants in other countries.  And I can count on on one or two fingers over the last 10 years of standing in Thai store checkout lines where a person had to enter PIN to complete a purchase with their card since Thai merchants primarily just require signature except for the increasing number using the low ticket value purchase approach.  

Yeap, losing your debit/credit card in Thailand can be like losing cash....the bad guy can run to all the stores and start buying stuff until you notice you've loss the card and have the card cancelled.

• Like 2