Pawn shops ready to meet cash demand as schools reopen

webfact

Pawn shops ready to meet cash demand as schools reopen

By The Nation

08689d22f1e0c31a1c4d355be78e5f31.jpeg

With the new semester of most Thai schools starting on Tuesday, pawnshops across the country have prepared extra money to cater to the increased need of customers seeking cash in exchange for valuables to pay their children’s tuition fees and other related expenses.

In the southern province of Narathiwat, Budsaba Thiprien, director of the Government Pawnshop Office’s Phupha Phakdee branch, said the pawnshop in the Muang Narathiwat Municipality area had already seen an increase of 300-400 customers compared to the usual daily number. 

Her office had prepared Bt70 million cash to cater to parents looking to pawn their valuables – most of which were gold ornaments, electrical appliances and farming tools. 

To aid parents seeking money for educational expenses, the pawnshop will charge an interest of 0.25 per cent per month for the pawn loans less than Bt5,000 and at 1 per cent per month for pawn loans exceeding Bt5,000 but not exceeding Bt20,000.

Up North, the Government Pawnshop Office’s Nakhon Chiang Mai Municipality branch has reportedly prepared Bt360 million to fund its four pawnshops and would charge a special interest rate of 0.25-0.75 per cent per month for a pawn loan worth up to Bt5,000 and more until May 31, city mayor Thassanai Buranupakorn. 

Ninety per cent of the pawned items there were gold ornaments or jewellery, which would fetch about 80 per cent of the item’s market price but not more than Bt100,000 per piece, he said.

However, only one per cent of such pawned items were not reclaimed by owners, he said, adding the unclaimed items were sold at a joint auction held once in the second week of every month and they generally fetched Bt500,000-Bt600,000 for the four pawnshops per month.

This year the northern city’s four pawn shops expected a 20-30 per cent increase in the number of customers due to the economic slowdown.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30345270

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-14
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ostyan said:

Thai edication system is not only bad, but very expensive for everybody. Gov spends the highest amounts of money in the Ssran, where these funds can disappear, expensive for the parents and students too.we spend a lot for uniforms for example,

absolutely inproductive. As someone said, finishing the students' education he will get monimal salary, unless having goof connections.

I like your post.

I may have amended it a bit to read "The Thai education system  MAY BE BAD BUT AT LEAST IT IS EXPENSIVE!"

Again, I like this     I know it was a simple accident but it's purfect  "having goof connections."

2 hours ago, Darcula said:

I'd say the one's whose parents have something valuable to pawn are the lucky ones. Some have nothing, and resort to loans at high interest from the local sharks.

Not to mention that twice daily, thousands of students risk their lives on the roads to get an education that's going to give them barely a survival wage.

Shame on the successive governments that have failed to address this national problem.

Do you know Thai governments in Thailand who were successful especially in education

56 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I like your post.

I may have amended it a bit to read "The Thai education system  MAY BE BAD BUT AT LEAST IT IS EXPENSIVE!"

Again, I like this     I know it was a simple accident but it's purfect  "having goof connections."

Sorry, my fat fingers 5555

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

And should the government look more closely at education government funding surely it will find billions in corruption that could better serve public education.

What ? Government Investigate the government for corruption ? That's a punt on a 1 legged horse to win the Grand National !

13 hours ago, mercman24 said:

sorry kids, no money in the kitty, we bought 3 subs, a few jet fighters and 10 tanks, and if there was enough money you can bet it would be syphoned off by corrupt officials. as per the ongoing case now.

I had the same exact thought about the 'Military Spending' so extravagant when the Government don't worry a bit about educating its children............

Sometime I feel that all the 'people' in Government are well of and like to live the HiSo life and actually those HiSo's WANT to keep a large number of the Thai population uneducated and poor.... just so they have a 'cheap labor pool' to hire maids, gardeners and chauffeurs from....

Just don't have children, last time I checked, the human species was thriving. Just don't. The planet will thank you too.  On the other hand if you want to sign up to 3 years without sleep, then a few good years, followed by many more of surly money grubbing ingratitude from your offspring, then decades of the occasional visit or emails, fine - go ahead............................
Based on your experience? Well, not all children treat their parents the way you seem to have treated yours..

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Government pawnshops....as they exist in many countries around the world.....they are plainly a disguised confession on the failure of governance to create a fair society,  where everybody has the vital minimum....

...but then, governance has it's priorities...yellow submarines on one side and reactivating a multi billion dollar naval fleet on the other...not to mention those in between....

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, mercman24 said:

sorry kids, no money in the kitty, we bought 3 subs, a few jet fighters and 10 tanks, and if there was enough money you can bet it would be syphoned off by corrupt officials. as per the ongoing case now.

PS. If you were thinking of protesting please be aware that we'll use those very same tanks (that we purchased from the money your parents paid in taxes) against you. In the name of reconciliation. Have a nice day. P.