Two killed as car crashes at 180 kph in Nakhon Pathom

webfact

11 hours ago, akirasan said:

Tell me about it. I let my wifes cousin take my car from a drive because he's been driving around in a beat up hilux for the past 30 years. 

When changing gears he went 1-3-5. I asked him why he did that and he replied that he thought it was the same as his gearbox.

Still haven't figured that one out.

Torque.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The speedometer stuck at 180kmh, but it could have been the impact which swing the 'needle' round that far before it stuck. 

I'm not sure the dash-cam recorded the speed (sone do, some don't).

Nevertheless, more wasteful loss of life and the loss of an innocent passenger. 

Luckily, no other innocents were involved which tragically is sometimes the case.

Take a look at the car, he was red lined. Are you kidding me?

5 hours ago, essox essox said:

how was there a tailback 

i always use the gearing to SLOW down.....and my vehicle is an automatic Triton.....so why do others not do the same as me??

Because there is no need to.  And in an emergency stop the brakes will stop the car quicker, there isn't time to fanny around with changing down.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

10km/h over, your allowed to do 120km/h along the Pattaya Motorway, now 10km/h Vs the 60km/h-80km/h is acceptable in my opinion, i.e. cops won't stop you and you can slow up much quicker than the higher speeds :post-4641-1156694572:

Thought that was it, your illegal speed is ok, the others aren't because theirs are more illegal than yours!

Your slowing down quicker is a daft argument, maybe their cars have more powerful brakes than yours?

Edited by Just Weird

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Tell him, not me, he's the one who didn't know.  There's a limiter at 180mph in Thailand unless it's removed with work on the ECU, isn't there?

Don't know about that but it would have served him well to have his set at 5okmh

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Tell him, not me, he's the one who didn't know.  There's a limiter at 180mph in Thailand unless it's removed with work on the ECU, isn't there?

Surely not too many cars need to be limited to 290 km/h.  

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Perhaps you know why you addressed that to me.  I didn't make any comment about 290kph.

Perhaps it's because you mentioned 180mph in your post above, which equals approximately 290 km/h.

39 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

For the fool who thinks it is okay to do 160 KMs if there is no traffic, well you must

have never had a flat tire or especially a blow out at that speed, or you would not be on this

forum today. You would be a spat on the side of the road.

Geezer

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

Perhaps it's because you mentioned 180mph in your post above, which equals approximately 290 km/h.

Oops, so I did!  The "m" and the "k" are too close together on the keyboard.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Oops, so I did!  The "m" and the "k" are too close together on the keyboard.

I had to ask because being Thailand you never know. I have no idea about speed limiting regulations and didn't know they had them. I thought maybe you were talking about speed-limitation of exotic sports cars, some of which can hit speeds of over 250 mph.

I remember motorcycles had a 90 mph maximum showing on all speedometers in the USA. Not sure if that's still the case. That's not a bad idea, because if people can't see their speed on the speedometer, they won't be trying to reach it.

24 minutes ago, tropo said:

I had to ask because being Thailand you never know. I have no idea about speed limiting regulations and didn't know they had them. I thought maybe you were talking about speed-limitation of exotic sports cars, some of which can hit speeds of over 250 mph.

I remember motorcycles had a 90 mph maximum showing on all speedometers in the USA. Not sure if that's still the case. That's not a bad idea, because if people can't see their speed on the speedometer, they won't be trying to reach it.

There are speed limiters built into the ECUs of many Thai built vehicles (180kph), maybe all of them, not sure, those from Asean manufacturers perhaps?  Doesn't take much to remove the restriction, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

10km/h over, your allowed to do 120km/h along the Pattaya Motorway, now 10km/h Vs the 60km/h-80km/h is acceptable in my opinion, i.e. cops won't stop you and you can slow up much quicker than the higher speeds :post-4641-1156694572:

The Pattaya motorway is just a short part of the road from Udon to Pattaya, most part of the distance is 90 km/h speed limit.  

40 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The Pattaya motorway is just a short part of the road from Udon to Pattaya, most part of the distance is 90 km/h speed limit.  

Hence the 100km/h speed I was doing, i.e. 10km/h over as opposed to some doing 150km/h - 160km/h

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

...Have you ever asked any of today's drivers what 'heeling and toeing' is?

Bet you get a blank look. ??

I had a couple occasions to do that in my 1971 Jeep 1/2 ton J-10 pickup 40+ years ago.  Off-road going up a steep, slippery hill at a crawling speed.  Old-fashioned traction control. 

Don't think there is limiter on cars in Thailand, only Japan as I know of. Even a 1.6 Altis can do 180kmh if road condition permits, which of course many of drivers here cannot make proper judgment. For those who are not driving or couldnt afford a car, they will say 250kmh is piece of cake.

22 hours ago, happy chappie said:

150 mph x Thai driver x Thai road = death for certain.

Did you fail your maths at school ? the speed quoted was  180 KPH which is 112 MPH,  not 150.  However irrespective of the speed the risk rating for any Thai driver is so high that your equation could well read 10 MPH x Thai Driver x Thai Road = death for certain.

If you have ever been to New Zealand you will know that possums die in their thousands due to road kill.   Therefore a similar equation could read Possums Brain = Thai Brain  = death = worst record in the world for road deaths.  The main difference here being that a possums pelt can be used.

Edited by Esso49
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hence the 100km/h speed I was doing, i.e. 10km/h over as opposed to some doing 150km/h - 160km/h

You will also know then that long stretches of highway 2 either side of Khon Kaen are restricted to 80 KMH which of course,  is mostly ignored.

Edited by Esso49

27 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

You will also know then that long stretches of highway 2 either side of Khon Kaen are restricted to 80 KMH which of course,  is mostly ignored.

Always drop back to 80km/h when going through there, too many signs saying speed cameras

22 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Where do you have that from?

Bet it can.

The biggest motor sold in Thailand is a 2.5 liter, 133 kW (188 PS/HP).

Max speed is never shown in Thai brochures (maybe even forbidden?).

Wiki says 210 km/h for the 2.5 liter with 6 speed auto.

Biggest motor sold in thailand is 3.2 for a ford Ranger ! 

4 hours ago, shady86 said:
12 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Don't think there is limiter on cars in Thailand, only Japan as I know of. Even a 1.6 Altis can do 180kmh if road condition permits, which of course many of drivers here cannot make proper judgment. For those who are not driving or couldnt afford a car, they will say 250kmh is piece of cake.

Yes, that's when the limiter cuts in, at 180kph!

On 5/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The speedometer stuck at 180kmh, but it could have been the impact which swing the 'needle' round that far before it stuck. 

I'm not sure the dash-cam recorded the speed (sone do, some don't).

Nevertheless, more wasteful loss of life and the loss of an innocent passenger. 

Luckily, no other innocents were involved which tragically is sometimes the case.

Must be old if it had needles.Even the needle appearance id digitally enhanced in a Camrey these days not mechanical.Was it a light traffic 3 lane, anyone know the road.?.or is it Whack a Mole Time , for the usual Bash a Thai mob to pop up on que..180 isnt that fast in MPH suitable conditions prevailing , but that matters not to certain retired Felangs , with no sympathy for the 2 Young Folks. I dont know enough to comment without knowledge.Up to You.:stoner: