Thai husband refusing to divorce

OP - While your discussing this with your GF you might also want to ask her how much Sin Sod did this prince pay ?

I'm guessing he paid nothing. Something you may want to remember should the subject of marriage come up in the future.

As has been said, Why does she want a divorce ? If not to marry you or someone else. Also was it a registered marriage ?

6 minutes ago, Gracas said:

OP - While your discussing this with your GF you might also want to ask her how much Sin Sod did this prince pay ?

I'm guessing he paid nothing. Something you may want to remember should the subject of marriage come up in the future.

As has been said, Why does she want a divorce ? If not to marry you or someone else. Also was it a registered marriage ?

If the marriage isn't registered there would be no need for a divorce. I never heard of a divorce of a village wedding. Do you?

13 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

If the marriage isn't registered there would be no need for a divorce. I never heard of a divorce of a village wedding. Do you?

Yes correct. You need to question, is it or is it not registered. They could be asking for the 20K divorce money even if there is no registered marriage. Stranger things have happened in the past with others.

Make police reports every time he threatens you

dont have to have him arrested but you can use these reports to strengthen your case

tell the police if anything happens to her then the man is the number one suspect 

have to report straight after the incident and insist on having him tested for drugs

this is how a Thai on Thai would do things

she does have rights even as a foreigner 

then you can apply for divorce  via sending him a letter from the court

this can take time. If he doesn’t appear in court the case can go on without him

lawyer fees could be about 20,000 first payment then 10,000 to 20,000 for each time they go to court 

plus you may need a translator in the court 

if the girl is the mother she has full rights to the child. 

She shall have to be strong 

if she can she can employ a body guard or push security up with more cctv and move to a secure compound 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Gracas said:

Yes correct. You need to question, is it or is it not registered. They could be asking for the 20K divorce money even if there is no registered marriage. Stranger things have happened in the past with others.

Not registered sorry I didn’t read that bit

if not register then should take the kids and move 

1 hour ago, Gracas said:

From the OP

"3 years ago she got pregnant after they’d finished but they agreed to marry in order to get some kind of benefit payment."

"What are the legal fees for a thai on thai contested divorce? "

Only a registered marriage can end in a contestet divorce.

Does this remove all doubts? 

Edited by hanuman2543

Not only don't get involved, but if possible, get a new girl. There are plenty of nice ones around, either on freehold or leasehold !!!...your choice :thumbsup:

It can be a deadly mix of a Thai man kicked out by the missus, loss of face,  a sudden overflow of Mekhong on the rocks to end up with a a country made gun in his hands.  All this can cause you some dangerous trouble.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigC said:

Are you a lawyer. I wasn’t giving advises to you. Look it’s late I have had a few I might have miss read some parts of the post. Please stop picking on me 

I already corrected some of what I wrote 

some of the advise can be used

my question is if it’s a Thai on thai disagreement why come on here 

why people turn to thai visa to get legal advise ???

let the Thais deal with it. 

If a Thai cannot get advise from another Thai and has to get a mate in a Forang forum to get advise then something isn’t right

It is my impression that the OP wants some advice on how to proceed.

Everybody Thai or Foreigner can go to the nearest courthouse.

Normally there is a lawyer present and can be asked for legal advise for free.

The Thai Civil and Commercial Code is available in Thai and English on the internet.

For Thais there are several Thai Law forums available too.

17 hours ago, Alex Simmonds said:

True, won’t get involved at let her sort it.

She has a good job and earns a decent wage, never asks for a penny off me for anything, hence why I’d like to hang on to this one.

Isn't she asking for this 20,000 baht?

The girl hasn't got the sense not to let him in when he visits to beat her up, and succumbed to sex with him after the relationship had already broken up.

Sounds like a load of trouble to be avoided to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Justfine said:

20k baht isnt much. Either pay it or don't. Offer 10k or nothing.

Sometimes in life you have to make decisions.

start to pay him and it never ends, just hope he will be 1 of the 61 roadkills everyday this is your only chance

do not tangle with a jaba creap !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Isn't she asking for this 20,000 baht?

The girl hasn't got the sense not to let him in when he visits to beat her up, and succumbed to sex with him after the relationship had already broken up.

Sounds like a load of trouble to be avoided to me.

UR so right

8 hours ago, BigC said:

Make police reports every time he threatens you

dont have to have him arrested but you can use these reports to strengthen your case

tell the police if anything happens to her then the man is the number one suspect 

have to report straight after the incident and insist on having him tested for drugs

this is how a Thai on Thai would do things

she does have rights even as a foreigner 

then you can apply for divorce  via sending him a letter from the court

this can take time. If he doesn’t appear in court the case can go on without him

lawyer fees could be about 20,000 first payment then 10,000 to 20,000 for each time they go to court 

plus you may need a translator in the court 

if the girl is the mother she has full rights to the child. 

She shall have to be strong 

if she can she can employ a body guard or push security up with more cctv and move to a secure compound 

pay any thai but not the alledeged husband

7 minutes ago, Alex Simmonds said:

I only found out a week ago about the registered marriage and him beating her. If I had facebook I would have known from the start.

I also have no intention of marrying her - I was just looking for advice on her helping her, and was interested if the process of divorce was easier/cheaper if it's a thai on thai marriage.

Anyway he's agreed to do it for free now as long as he has custody to see the kid every few months - who lives with her parents, 150km from we are.

People are right about her being too much baggage, I will probably look elsewhere.

+ no, i'm not going to 'go home' just because of this.

Well you got people all fired up. Best of luck.

OP time for to start thinking with your head, not your pants.

You say you have no intentions of marrying her, so you are just using her, what does that say about you?

Also all this about her being married/ beaten etc, how do you know any of it is true.

I used to be married to a Thai lady who would lie about anything just to get more money.

Get out now, stay out, or you will only regret it later.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Enoon said:

Do you not think it a little strange that she got pregnant after they (allegedly) split up?

This is just the beginning of your nightmare.

Enjoy.

Never heard of or had make up sex with any of your x? 

For the treadstarter my advice is just to keep out of it, and let them solve this. By time she will get court divorce without his approvement. And as you say, she have good work and so on, so why marry her? Why is the divorce so important to you? Let the time work for you, and you have time to know this girl better. You might learn something by time good or bad. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gracas said:

Sin sod is only paid for first time marriage, no kids, no previous bf history, good mom take good care, give education, good deeds, and all that shit. You do not pay sin sod if they have been married before or have kid. Simple as that. But that was not what he asked about in the first place, that will be the next tread. 

22 hours ago, Alex Simmonds said:

Yesterday he agreed to do it for 20k in return but has done a u-turn this morning and <deleted> off to Bangkok

First: Demanding money for a divorce is blackmail and is not allowed and he could go to jail for that as this is a criminal offence.

Secondly: He has to pay child support, a judge decides how much.

The only way to divorce free is at the Amphur and both parties agree.

There can be made a voluntary agreement on support, no lawyers involved.

Go to the courts if he refuses.

Spouse deserting is a ground for divorce.

Smells like a scam to lift you of Bht 20000-

• Like 1

Hi sorry about my last post. I actually didn’t type anything wrong and I did read it properly but I was slightly drunk last night

it doesn’t say the marriage is or isn’t registered intact it’s says that they married to get a benefit payment

simplr answer is 

A) if there married or not he should be giving her money for maintence for thee child

B) if there are not married he should be giving her money

do your really think that he shall go away afrtet payment 20,000 baht 

really need legal advise and a sit down with a professional 

personally I would report every beating as drugs or no drugs hitting women is not acceptable 

if he continues to threaten to endanger life he can be charged 

The person can be earned by police that if something happens to this person that he shall be number suspect 

she can insist of drug test 

she could take him to court and ask him for money

you watch him run away if she does that 

either way I wouldn’t pay him

its either a set up scam or if you pay him 20,000 Baht he shall

be back when the money dries up.

sorry to say it but all this is obvious to a thai 

can I ask who the girl wants the money from 

please don’t tel me that you going to be hit up for the bill in one way or another 

It makes no sense that they had a baby and she has to pay the man for the child not the other way round