Thai husband refusing to divorce

Girl I’m with is trying to get a divorce from her ex, who is asking for 20k baht to do it.

3 years ago she got pregnant after they’d finished but they agreed to marry in order to get some kind of benefit payment.

He’s jobless and a yaba addict who beats her everytime he comes to visit the son (maybe twice a year). Also keeps threatening to kill her if she doesn’t send him money.

Yesterday he agreed to do it for 20k in return but has done a u-turn this morning and <deleted> off to Bangkok.

What are the legal fees for a thai on thai contested divorce? Cheaper than Thai/farang one?Would this be the best way to go about it? 

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alex Simmonds said:

True, won’t get involved at let her sort it.

She has a good job and earns a decent wage, never asks for a penny off me for anything, hence why I’d like to hang on to this one.

20k baht isnt much. Either pay it or don't. Offer 10k or nothing.

Sometimes in life you have to make decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Do you not think it a little strange that she got pregnant after they (allegedly) split up?

I think I can explain this one.

Thai culture is different to western culture, one of the ladies once explained to me, once they had given a guy access, after they had broken up they would still allow access. As she said to me, "If I liked you enough to have sex with you once, why would I change my mind later?"

It makes sense to me anyway.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

if this isn't a troll post, unlikely, then, OP, you dont seem to have much experience of thailand all common sense says stay away from this.

...why are you so impressed that she doenst ask you for money? in all the years i've been in thailand i've never dated anyone who wanted money from me.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Judging from my experience divorcing my unwilling ex pay the 20.000 Baht after he signs all papers for an uncontested divorce at the Amphoe. It took me 5 years and at least 250.000 Baht in lawyer and court fees to get divorced. And not to mention the psychological and emotional stress involved. So 20.000 or less is a bargain. 

So did it work out after all that?

Have a look at the Thai law and with 20K you are of cheap. go to the Ampur register the divorce and then pay him directly!

Since the husband can claim compensation for the losses he has,

I used that section when I got divorced from may Thai wife to protect my assets and fortune. and her boyfriend is till paying Western Court confirmed the Thai ruling,. interesting to know  the whole case was in western court with under Thai law.

You are not only gambling with you balls also with your fortune when you get involved with a  person married under Thai law.

good luck and for the next time be more wiser other country other habits and laws

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I think I can explain this one.

Thai culture is different to western culture, one of the ladies once explained to me, once they had given a guy access, after they had broken up they would still allow access. As she said to me, "If I liked you enough to have sex with you once, why would I change my mind later?"

It makes sense to me anyway.

Or, she may be a slut but she’s alright with me.

-Todd Rungren

From the song Slut.

Why do these threads quickly turn into an opportunity for everyone (including the OP) to say their GF’s never ask for money ?  I’m also wondering why the OP felt the need to state this.

To the OP,  the fact she doesn’t ask you for money does not imply she is telling the truth. 

Thai woman nearly always lie about why they broke up with the ex, they will always cry hard done by and will seek attention from the next, even if it includes making up stories about the ex being a junky and beating her.

She needs your emotional support, she knows she will not get this if she tells you she was dumped for banging her ex husbands best mate.

• Like 1

No way would I contemplate giving a drug addict money, as that's a recipe for more and more demands. I would also steer clear of any possible confrontation, as it is odds on you'll be attacked by said druggie who wouldn't think twice (or even once) about attempting to kill you. 

Regretfully, it's up to your girlfriend and her family members to resolve it, including any possible divorce actions. A very sad and volatile situation, nevertheless, while this loose cannon is alive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobBKK said:

anyway dangerous as Thais have little ethics.

Compared to the morally exalted farang who come here "just to visit the temples and feed bananas to the elephants??"  Sex tourists rarely can claim the moral high ground. 

• Thanks 1