Four years after coup, Thais tire of corruption and democratic delays

webfact

Four years after coup, Thais tire of corruption and democratic delays

Four years after the coup?........Corruption has been endemic in Thailand for generations, was it ok before?

Get used to it, it is here to stay!..........Greed Conquers All!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Yes I suspect you are correct.

Of course we do not discuss or mention the sad event- but is likely to happen soon. Then as you say- delay for another year. 

Prem or another one?  Got a Coronation to sort out too.  Examples of unrest will be further excuses.  And not yet finished Parliament building.  And waiting for 'lucky' day confirmation from the temple.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

What historical event are you referring to ?

Any uprising by an oppressed population. Often instigated by students. 1973 in Thailand, I believe ??

It's happened in Thailand before and in plenty of other countries, where freedoms were curtailed for too long by certain "governments"..

Edited by cornishcarlos

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

When the time comes, and it will, the people will walk right through those guns.. Then we will see just how committed, to the trough, these generals are !!!

Hmmm. Maybe, but I think it's already too late, the cowardly Thai has already sent a message about his inner nature.

A couple of years ago, I noticed a post that said the people (Thaksin) should send out small squads to follow and shoot soldiers on the street. Make them afraid to be soldiers, foster a mutiny. Whist not advocating violence, I think the military has made it an inevitability. It would have been a better strategy for the Thai than just rolling over to have his tummy tickled, which is what actually happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

Yes I suspect you are correct.

Of course we do not discuss or mention the sad event- but is likely to happen soon. Then as you say- delay for another year. 

It seems to me the event is likely to be soon, but which will be sooner, the chicken or the egg? Because one of the eggs isn't looking too good right now.

• Like 1

Much as I hate to say it, the Chinese approach to corruption seems to work the best. Wait for conviction then shoot them. See how fast corruption in Thailand comes to a juddering halt if a bullet in the head is in the offing instead of an inactive post on full salary and pension..

And those wrongfully convicted? Whoops, too late when your dead. I think the law in China to qualify for the death sentence is you must have recieved kick backs more than a half million Usd.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Much as I hate to say it, the Chinese approach to corruption seems to work the best. Wait for conviction then shoot them. See how fast corruption in Thailand comes to a juddering halt if a bullet in the head is in the offing instead of an inactive post on full salary and a pension..

Still, Thais know best...

Seems to work best? Then how come corruption is still so pervasive there? It rates only slightly better than Thailand. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

And those wrongfully convicted? Whoops, too late when your dead. I think the law in China to qualify for the death sentence is you must have recieved kick backs more than a half million Usd.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In general I am not in favour of the death penalty in any nation, for the reason you state and a number of others. Having said that, corruption is surely a greater threat to national security than many of the relatively trivial trespasses that this iniquitous government has used to charge people with sedition and other things.

On balance, in cases where guilt cannot be questioned, I think it is likely to be a more effective deterrent that the smack on the wrist the buggers get now. Including of course, many of the current government - allegedly.

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Seems to work best? Then how come corruption is still so pervasive there? It rates only slightly better than Thailand. 

erm, because they haven't been  serious at combating corruption for very long and things like this do take time, although visible actions are better than some muppet general saying 'trust me, I've solved the corruption problem'. Or getting some other numbskull to write it in a highly dubious book (worked before so it'll work again - right?)

When you say corruption is pervasive there, and without disputing that, do you have any numbers to support that positio?. Always recalling that Thais learned corruption from the incoming Chinese, whose culture has been characterised by what we would now term corruption for centuries...

Which is a part of the overall attractiveness or otherwise of the Chinese culture - though I accept that appears to be changing quite quickly.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

When the time comes, and it will, the people will walk right through those guns.. Then we will see just how committed, to the trough, these generals are !!!

Really!!

I hope you are right, but history is not on the people's side in these anti-establishment uprisings.

Two main reasons for the coup, and they go hand in hand.

To break the democratic model (as it was at the time).

To crush the Shins and the Reds.

5ac70678b2b08_oct061076.jpg.e66b3cd6a1ba9fb9539dba3b3c088880.jpg

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Sorry no figures, just ratings from a number ow websites (mostly based on perception).

I too have read that it has a cultural link to China, probably through guanxi which came with the large flow of Chinese immigrants. I have no evidence to back that up though.

For Thailand, they should end the practice of inactive posts and smacks on the wrist to civil servants. They should be fired if found guilty and all rights they had as civil servants removed (special health care, pensions, loans, etc).    

I'm sure we can both agree on that. I have no evidence that a lot of the cultural problems Thailand has were inherited from Chinese immigrants. Fortunately I don't have to demonstrate it - mainly because it is so obvious that it would be against common sense to suggest otherwise.

I'm sure there will be those who will shout 'evidence? evidence?', but my reply to them is thusly. If I see clouds and feel strong wind and hear thunder, I am going to connect that with the rain that follows. Shout 'evidence?' all you like, but I'm getting my umbrella, you can do what you want...

Edited by KiwiKiwi

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Really!!

I hope you are right, but history is not on the people's side in these anti-establishment uprisings.

Two main reasons for the coup, and they go hand in hand.

To end the democratic model (as it was at the time).

To crush the Shins and the Reds.

5ac70678b2b08_oct061076.jpg.e66b3cd6a1ba9fb9539dba3b3c088880.jpg

In my opinion, both of these objectives are and have been means to an end. In this coup, there was only one objective and a number of beneficial (to the army and the police) consequences of that one objective. They should both be abolished. Let whoever wants to, invade and colonise Thailand. Perhaps they'll clear up the litter and rubbish...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Sorry no figures, just ratings from a number ow websites (mostly based on perception).

I too have read that it has a cultural link to China, probably through guanxi which came with the large flow of Chinese immigrants. I have no evidence to back that up though.

For Thailand, they should end the practice of inactive posts and smacks on the wrist to civil servants. They should be fired if found guilty and all rights they had as civil servants removed (special health care, pensions, loans, etc).    

How about making sure that all the money they made gets confiscated, and a jail term. I understand the inactive posts during an investigation (in other countries they are send home during an investigation). 

• Like 1

"The junta came in, shut the people out, did everything their way. So we can't say we're happy," Prayong Doklamyai, a coordinator for People's Movement for Just Society (P-Move), told Reuters.

The Thai people took part in the reform process. The junta didn't shut people out. There was also a referendum on the constitution.You must be joking. A referendum that violated all principles of democracy and free and fair elections. Of course they shut the people out, none of the people ever voted for them.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1