General overview of privacy rights in Thailand?

watcharacters

What are the legal expectations and rights   regarding  privacy in Thailand?

As an example I realize owners of Malls and other private property have every right to prohibit  photos but what about public places?

I  recall walking  down  the  street of the  night market  in Chaing Mai a few years back and  came upon a vendor stall with some interesting lamps.   Boldly placed at the front of the lady's stall was a sign that declared   "No Photos Allowed".      I wanted no trouble  so  I just walked  past her stall.     She clearly didn't  grasp the value of free advertising but I  didn't and don't care.

I wonder if anyone has a fairly good handle on what the privacy laws are  in Thailand?    In my country they are forever evolving  with technology and  in many of the videos I watch on YouTube a supervisor will calm aggressive subordinates  and apologize, for instance,  to a videographer who is within his or her legal rights.

Any thoughts?

Edited by watcharacters

Basically if you don't do what they require

1. you will get kicked, punched etc... max penalty for them is 500-1000 THB + a wai

2. you will get shamed as the "model" did recently to the farang... of course, the fact that Thais have FB groups up to 100k members where they share videos/pictures of farangs + their personal details is okay ka

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I think generally they use “no photo” signs to make people think their merchandise is exclusive to their shop, and they do not want it copied.

Generally it is because their merchandise are illegal to sell - fakes, banned goods, etc.

Local police gets their beer baht, but Facebook doesn't accept brown envelopes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WonderfulDay said:

of course, the fact that Thais have FB groups up to 100k members where they share videos/pictures of farangs + their personal details is okay

A group of up to 100k members - surely a slight exaggeration? Feel free to prove me wrong by the way :thumbsup:

How would the admin handle that..........

1 hour ago, WonderfulDay said:

Basically if you don't do what they require

1. you will get kicked, punched etc... max penalty for them is 500-1000 THB + a wai

2. you will get shamed as the "model" did recently to the farang... of course, the fact that Thais have FB groups up to 100k members where they share videos/pictures of farangs + their personal details is okay ka

I was asking about from a legal standpoint.

It's Ok if you want to go on about barroom justice being the standard in Thailand but I wonder about the actual law on the books.

I don't think you have a remote clue..

3 hours ago, topt said:

A group of up to 100k members - surely a slight exaggeration? Feel free to prove me wrong by the way :thumbsup:

100k is probably an exaggeration, but here for example one with 27k: https://www.facebook.com/groups/974552655984583/

22k: https://www.facebook.com/groups/309098312896070/

15k: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1275566252571183/

Edited by jackdd

16 hours ago, mogandave said:

I think if people don’t want you taking pictures of their crap you shouldn’t take pictures of their crap.

I think generally they use “no photo” signs to make people think their merchandise is exclusive to their shop, and they do not want it copied.

Or it could just be that everything they are selling has been copied.

• Haha 2

I have seen the stall and lamps referred to in the post . The vendor who i do not know has traded hand made lamps of individual design for many years . Thai people are renowned the world over for duplicating other people's work .What is wrong with trying to protect your intellectual property rights by requesting legally you refrain from photographing their work at their place of business 

• Like 1

I started taking photos one night of the Lucifer's street sign in LK Metro. The bouncer told me knock it off.  I walked a little further down the street and waited until he was upsetting someone else and snapped away.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, watcharacters said:

I was asking about from a legal standpoint.

It's Ok if you want to go on about barroom justice being the standard in Thailand but I wonder about the actual law on the books.

I don't think you have a remote clue..

Given most of us on here wouldn't have a clue about the legality, or otherwise, of privacy rights in LOS, I think you are asking on the wrong forum.

I'm sure a lawyer could tell you though, in exchange for some money.

What most of us do know though, is reality, and you have been advised of that already in this thread.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:44 PM, topt said:

Ah Ha.   So TFV has a  survivable life on FaceBook?

Thanks for that..

On 5/20/2018 at 8:59 AM, Lacessit said:

I would have thought not taking a photo of someone or something when you are asked not too would be common courtesy.

Did you happen to notice I said the vendor was selling goods on a public street?

You missed that?  

Please stay focused..

OK.

Next time you take a photo in a public place be sure to request permission of everyone in the photo before you the picture.   Thank you

Edited by watcharacters

Did you happen to notice I said the vendor was selling goods on a public street?

You missed that?  

Please stay focused..

OK.

Next time you take a photo in a public place be sure to request permission of everyone in the photo before you the picture.   Thank you

If you already knew, why’d you ask?
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Ah Ha.   So TFV has a  survivable life on FaceBook?

Thanks for that..

For what? I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.............................:unsure:

On 5/19/2018 at 11:55 AM, jippytum said:

protect your intellectual property rights by requesting legally you refrain from photographing their work at their place of business 

Amazing you can come up with this BS gem.

How does the vendor have a "legal"  right like that in public?    Can you reference any laws?

On 5/18/2018 at 11:28 AM, mogandave said:

I think if people don’t want you taking pictures of their crap you shouldn’t take pictures of their crap.

true. or they are copying someone else and dont want it publicised. or they are just fed up with tourists pointing cameras at them - and then not buying anything .

22 hours ago, watcharacters said:

You missed that?  

Please stay focused..

OK.

Try taking a photo of a ladyboy in a tourist area and see how you get on. I was threatened with a baseball bat on Walking St for that

On 5/23/2018 at 10:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Try taking a photo of a ladyboy in a tourist area and see how you get on. I was threatened with a baseball bat on Walking St for that

Without your feeling the need to reply aggressively.   Please reread my post which was in fact a question with an example.    I really   wish to avoid  replies such as yours.

Thank you.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I wouldn't want someone to take my picture to then most likely post online as a joke or "novelty," either.

When it comes to photographing a shop's goods... I'm sure they get sick of people snapping away and not buying anything.  But it's really also too bad as I'd love to show family/friends pictures of some of the lovely things I see... and of course there goes any opportunity for a friend to say "I like that, I must go buy it" or for me to send a picture to someone: "which one do you want?"

18 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Without your feeling the need to reply aggressively.   Please reread my post which was in fact a question with an example.    I really   wish to avoid  replies such as yours.

Thank you.

How was my reply aggressive? I was not threatening anyone with a bat. I was just pointing out what happens in real life in LOS.

On 5/19/2018 at 11:55 AM, jippytum said:

I have seen the stall and lamps referred to in the post . The vendor who i do not know has traded hand made lamps of individual design for many years . Thai people are renowned the world over for duplicating other people's work .What is wrong with trying to protect your intellectual property rights by requesting legally you refrain from photographing their work at their place of business 

Yeah, what's wrong with stealing someone else's designs, copying them and selling them on as your own, then forbidding photos at your stall in case someone copied them?

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How was my reply aggressive? I was not threatening anyone with a bat. I was just pointing out what happens in real life in LOS.

Your attitude Sir.   It speaks volumes.

If you don't get it than so be it.

How silly to refer to threats.    Of course you can't make threats  and be a member of this site.

Chill out please.