Phuket Poll: Should marijuana be made legal?

rooster59

Phuket Poll: Should marijuana be made legal? 

The Phuket News

1526640357_1-org.jpg

The use of marijuana for medical purposes has blown open the debate on whether the plant and its derivatives should be made legal. Photo: CC Public Domain via Pxhere

PHUKET: On Tuesday the Cabinet approved draft legislation drawn up by a panel led by the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) to legally allow research into the effects of medicinal cannabis on humans.

Marijuana is still a drug under Thai law and its use for medical purposes requires strict legal control measures.

According to the Narcotics Act, the planting of the marijuana plant is allowed for medical purposes but use of the plant does not extend to medical research involving humans.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-poll-should-marijuana-be-made-legal-67182.php#amJokvie6rPKMvDg.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-05-19

Of course, they should make it legal because many sufferers from cancer can be helped a lot by using it in a medical form. The Justice Department said the crackdown has not worked and the jails are full of poor people who used or sold a bit of the drug. The least they can do is decriminalise it and impose a small fine. They should ban open sale. But what I fear is that the government might consider the huge growth in tourism that would result in the decriminalization of this weed. There could be full moon parties every day all over Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I may support it in the use of illnesses - after all cocaine is used to some degree - I would not currently support it for recreational use. People here cannot handle alcohol, why make the idiots have new access to something to make them even crazier ? If the Thai nation can show to some degree that they can cut back deaths relating from alcohol, then maybe I would soften my stance ....but chances of deaths from alcohol being reduced is about the same as an elephant other than Dumbo flying !

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Legalising medicinal use does not necessarily extend to recreational use.  Cannabidiol (CBD) is the more useful medicinal component and it doesn't make you "high".  Medicinal hemp oil, if processed properly is CBD with little or no THC.  A small amount of THC (tetra-hydro-cannabinol) could be usefully included as a mild relaxant but you'd have to take a lot of such a medicinal oil to get a reasonable "high".  However, any over the counter or prescribed medication can be abused by taking overdoses so I don't see a need to make medicinal hemp oil a special case.

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Whilst I may support it in the use of illnesses - after all cocaine is used to some degree - I would not currently support it for recreational use. People here cannot handle alcohol, why make the idiots have new access to something to make them even crazier ? If the Thai nation can show to some degree that they can cut back deaths relating from alcohol, then maybe I would soften my stance ....but chances of deaths from alcohol being reduced is about the same as an elephant other than Dumbo flying !

Weed makes you quiet booze makes you noisy

i think it should be legal.  i don't have alot of faith in 'studies' these days, it sometimes appears as if the conclusion was simply the original opinion of the author(s).  and such study was prepared to support that opinion. 

when some people address this topic they seem to forget about all the marijuana smokers that are out there all ready.  so making it legal doesn't necessarily bring alot of new users into the mix.  it simply decriminalizes the use by those that have been using already.  said another way, marijuana is easy to find.  i think most people have made up their mind on use by sampling the 'drug'.  they haven't abstained due to the law, they tried it and don't like it.

I was told by a policeman once that most criminals when being detained and questioned were asked if they used drugs and most of them replied yes because it would be used as part of the reason why they committed the offence even though it had no connection with the crime and this data would be used by the home office.so now the home office pumps out the propaganda that 95% of people who commit an offence use drugs.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 8:34 AM, happy chappie said:

Sorry to say dickie boy but in my 32 yrs of smoking I find that when you have a gut full of beer and top it off with some good old weed it makes you lethargic,mellow,thoughtful and want a bowl of cornflakes with tomato sauce instead of milk.if they did legalise it they should put a health warning about the munchies which I seem to suffer from.

Tomato sauce??  
Tomato sauce with your corn flakes?  
That is almost unforgivable.  Only cornflakes, milk, sugar, and some good fruit, if you so desire.  

But tomato sauce??
I can't handle it!

Blocking.jpg

22 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Tomato sauce??  
Tomato sauce with your corn flakes?  
That is almost unforgivable.  Only cornflakes, milk, sugar, and some good fruit, if you so desire.  

But tomato sauce??
I can't handle it!

Blocking.jpg

Yes normally I do use milk n sugar but When you suffer from the munchies it's amazing what you can conjure up in the kitchen late at night.lol.how about popping round and I'll treat you to a nice cup of tea with Jaffa cake and peanut butter sandwiches.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:12 AM, canthai55 said:

Thank you USA - for starting the War on Drugs, and using your dollars to coerce other nations into duplicating your Insanity.

This War has caused more harm - to more people - than organized religion. Targets minorities, the poor, and everyone else who does not buy into your Madness.

Drug abuse is a Social and Health problem, not a Police problem. When will you get it into your thick head that you are wrong ?

But too late now - the war on drugs is now a multi billion dollar business, and no one wants to remove their snout from the trough.

Sums it up quite succinctly.

I always considered it to be ridiculous that troops were patrolling through pot and poppy fields in Afghanistan and doing nothing, whilst billions are spent at the other end to stop stuff getting into countries. The excuse given was 'we have to support the local economy'. Incidentally poppy production increased tenfold when ISAF were in the country. 

OK, here's an idea. Pay the farmers ten times what the taliban gives them for the drugs- its still millions cheaper than the so-called 'War on Drugs' at the borders. 

The 'war on drugs' has been a massive fail other  than for those on both sides reaping financial benefit.

Edited by Psimbo