Korat Officials Accused of Killing Healthy Dogs

rooster59

Korat Officials Accused of Killing Healthy Dogs

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

Image-uploaded-from-iOS-6-696x392.jpg

An image Friday shows a dog that reportedly died after being given an overdose of sedatives in Nakhon Ratchasima. Photo: Watchdog Thailand

KORAT — An animal rights group Friday accused livestock officials in Nakhon Ratchasima of intentionally giving dogs fatal overdoses in violation of their own policy.

Watchdog Thailand representatives filed a criminal complaint alleging that local officials used a loophole in recently announced rabies-control measures as an excuse to kill animals despite being instructed to first quarantine and observe the animals for symptoms.

The updated measures from the Livestock Department authorized taking animals suspected of being rabid into quarantine and euthanizing them “if necessary” without further deliberation after observation of illness.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/05/19/korat-officials-accused-of-killing-healthy-dogs/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-20

If this had been a cull of soi dogs I would have marveled that they were finally getting something right. But If I understand correctly, these were pets which could have simply been detained for an observation period.

This will probably further delay Thailand enacting a logical animal control policy.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Ok! So, that means they killed a dog for some poor owner somewhere? No, they didn´t. If the dog has no owner or a place for stay, then we call them soi dogs. There you have your clear answer.

I might be getting my stories mixed up, but aren't these doge the ones that were taken from people in an area with a rabies scare. The dogs were supposed to be returned, not euthanized. If this is simply a round up of soi dogs, then I  don't have any problems with that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I might be getting my stories mixed up, but aren't these doge the ones that were taken from people in an area with a rabies scare. The dogs were supposed to be returned, not euthanized. If this is simply a round up of soi dogs, then I  don't have any problems with that.

Actually, when you mention that, I have no clue either. :smile:

• Haha 1

Livestock has been under fire for its handling of a rabies false alarm earlier this year in which thousands of dogs were rounded up and shipped off to quarantine facilities.

Just a false alarm.

Rabies.jpg.f2cf7dfb95dce77316609382d2864fa9.jpg

In the last 4 weeks I have been to Bangkok & no soi dogs seen , Khon Kaen no soi dogs seen  , Udon Thani  a couple seen with collars . There must be a cull going on and about time for the safety of all .

• Like 2

is it just killing healthy dog pests that is frowned upon or can we not kill healthy rodent pests?

Pest are pests in my book. Healthy rats or healthy dogs, healthy ants, I don't care, they are pests to me.

Out of all the pests, the healthy dogs are the most dangerous. They should be the first to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

In the last 4 weeks I have been to Bangkok & no soi dogs seen , Khon Kaen no soi dogs seen  , Udon Thani  a couple seen with collars . There must be a cull going on and about time for the safety of all .

In our village at dusk age there is still a pack of 20 or so on the rampage looking for victims.

• Like 2

If they are running around loose they should be rounded up, unless you impound a dog for 10 days of observation, there is no way to tell if a dog is rabid or not. If no one claims the dogs they should be put down. That is what the doctor told me after i was bitten and had to take rabies shots. Mangy dogs, chasing all the kids, put them down. Neighbor has a pack of 10, all mangy dogs, you think he cares?

Edited by uffe123
spelling
  • Like 2

Without rabies they are still a real danger as a pack animal or individual . Think I am right when saying the Buddhist belief is not to harm any form of life and live in harmony with nature , however when it comes to the safety of your family and others , common sense has to prevail and eliminate the harm that these animals can bring . 

• Like 2

KORAT — An animal rights group Friday accused livestock officials in Nakhon Ratchasima of intentionally giving dogs fatal overdoses in violation of their own policy.

In violation of their own religion also called Buddhism......:saai:

19 minutes ago, johng said:

So Its fine to kill mosquitoes,ants,flys,cockroaches,rats,pigeons,snakes,snails,fish,cattle,pigs,sheep,chickens,goats,rabbits etc etc but for some reason not dogs ?

Heard recently from a devout lady Buddhist ,  " we will not kill an animal and eat it , however if it has been slain by another person it would be a waste not to eat it "  ,  so I guess is all about interpretation  and in other Buddhist countries they do openly slay and consume dogs .  

• Haha 1

The other person shouldn't be Buddhist either I suppose ?..how on earth can such a Buddhist country afford to eat all that expensive imported from non Buddhist countries food ? [emoji14] [emoji1]

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, curtklay said:

How about healthy human pests? There is an over abundance of them.

And you would be seeing yourself as the almighty judge, I persume? Have you ever thought about that some people might think the same about you?

I find it strange that a human being would rather another human being die instead of a dog..or in other words a dogs life is worth more than a human's ?
I know which one I would save if it came down to it...
sorry "dog lovers"

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

It called culling of excess animals per area, and it's done even to a protected animals all over the world on a need to be done bases, those feral dogs take money, time and reccouress to feed and keep, and there are endless millions of them running around, anyone who complain should come and take those dogs to his/her home and care for them....

Unless they live near me!

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

And you would be seeing yourself as the almighty judge, I persume? Have you ever thought about that some people might think the same about you?

You just moved up the list.

And the word is "presume".

Culling or no culling, there appears to be a reduction in the mangy, disease ridden muttts on the streets. Which can only be a plus.

However ! at the same time there also appears to be an upsurge in dogs ( pets with collars ) that have been abandoned in the streets.

Maybe this is part of the problem

The "feeders" put collars on the dogs to try to make it look like they are "pets" or "owned" dogs so they won't be rounded up and taken to the pound....when in reality they are just soi dogs with collars on.