Baht bus mice play while the cat’s away

Rimmer

Baht bus mice play while the cat’s away

image.png

PATTAYA:--In a classic example of mice playing while the cat is away, Pattaya baht buses again are parking wherever they want after the military failed to enforce its bus stop dictate.

The military spent most of last year flexing its muscles to bring the unruly songthaew system into check, forcing the pickup truck taxis to drive specific routes, stop only in painted zones and adhere to set fares. At the same time, the army said it would move motorbike-rental vendors off the streets and reorganize rental-car booths.

The military did neither of the latter two and only enforced the baht bus-related edicts for a few months. The army staged a one-day “crackdown” in February and has done nothing since.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/baht-bus-mice-play-cats-away-210222

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-05-20

That spot just at the entrance to Walking Street is the natural place for Baht buses to stop
The problem is its too narrow at that point...they should widen the road..yes some buildings will need to be sacrificed..maybe they can put a proper footpath in front of Bamboo Bar too.

• Like 2

That´s is just because to whole population makes it impossible to set up any rules and regulations. 
Under normal circumstances a law or a rule set by authorities, would be followed by the people.
Here it ain´t so, because people do like they want on a day by day basis, and can never do the same twice or regulary.
The said, if it nor come to breaking the laws and reguslation. That is the only area they are consistant within.

I dream of a day when all Pattaya's taximeters turn on their meters; all baht buses respect official bus stops; all motor-bike rental companies are forced to free up parking spaces for the public at large; - oh well I can dream on.

• Like 1

Good. That form of transport shouldn't have stops in the first place. 

What is needed are REAL large buses that do have stops that make predictable loops all around town, not just the beach areas. Then reduce the baht buses down, forbid them from taking taxi fares, and enforce real taxi meters on the fake taxi meters.

The original crackdown plan was flawed from the start. It was about giving primacy to private transport. That is not a public transport plan!

• Like 1

And I dream of businesses allowing motorists to park freely in front without harassment or vandalism.  A good example is the hotel next to Immigration soi 5 which blocks off at least six parking spots in case hotel patrons wish to park.  I argued with the security guard that my motor bike was parked on a public road; I told him I would be five minutes whilst I picked up my passport.  When I returned he had moved it across the road.

13 hours ago, johng said:

That spot just at the entrance to Walking Street is the natural place for Baht buses to stop
The problem is its too narrow at that point...they should widen the road..yes some buildings will need to be sacrificed..maybe they can put a proper footpath in front of Bamboo Bar too.

Even pedestrians are funneled out onto the road into the path of coaches at the bend!

Beach Rd was widened some time ago, but not at that end, where it all funnels back into 2 lanes. It's a mess, has been for a long time and is part of the 'charm' of the town. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

And I dream of businesses allowing motorists to park freely in front without harassment or vandalism.  A good example is the hotel next to Immigration soi 5 which blocks off at least six parking spots in case hotel patrons wish to park.  I argued with the security guard that my motor bike was parked on a public road; I told him I would be five minutes whilst I picked up my passport.  When I returned he had moved it across the road.

A valet parking service?

sweet ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

The Baht buses work great and have for decades...All you hand wringers would you feel better if there were no baht buses and you had to pay for a taxi every where you went? With the baht buses you hardly ever have to wait and you pay a whole 10 baht for great service....

Each and every last one of you complainers are very lucky to have the baht buses to use 24/7/365 days a year......

If its not broken it does not need to be fixed...

Totally agree it works for it's COVERAGE AREA.

But outside it's COVERAGE AREA, which is most of the metro area, it's very inadequate and/or nonexistent. 

On 5/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, Basil B said:

only way is covert operations, then round up offenders, heavy fines and impounding busses for a few weeks, should also help with traffic congestion.

Agreed but impounding the busses won't change their mindset. Crushing them will. ?