International Driving Permit

According to law a Uk licence ( and other countries) is accepted as long as it carries a photograph and in an agreed format. The requirement for a translation (IDP) is only for languages other than English. If this is not the case why the is a Uk licence transferred into a Thai licence at the transport office?

The reciprocal agreement allows Thai to drive without IDP in the Uk.

Police indiviually interpreting law!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, poosmate said:

According to law a Uk licence ( and other countries) is accepted as long as it carries a photograph and in an agreed format.

You can see the agreed format in annex 9 of the document which i linked in the first post. Does your UK driving license look like this? I don't think so, so you are not carrying a license in an agreed format.

7 minutes ago, poosmate said:

The requirement for a translation (IDP) is only for languages other than English.

Where does it say so?

8 minutes ago, poosmate said:

If this is not the case why the is a Uk licence transferred into a Thai licence at the transport office?

Officially to transfer your driving license you also need to present an 1949 IDP, this is written on the DLT website. Transferring with only a UK license is not possible.

Individual DLTs can of course do what they want, either because they are not aware of official rules, or because they just don't care. They did for example accept my 1968 IDP when i applied for my Thai driving license, this should not be possible. And of course you will find some people who got their home country license transferred to a Thai driving license without an IDP at all.

12 minutes ago, poosmate said:

The reciprocal agreement allows Thai to drive without IDP in the Uk.

Just because a Thai can drive without an IDP in the UK does not mean that you can drive without an IDP in Thailand, each country has its own laws

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

You can see the agreed format in annex 9 of the document which i linked in the first post. Does your UK driving license look like this? I don't think so, so you are not carrying a license in an agreed format.

Where does it say so?

Officially to transfer your driving license you also need to present an 1949 IDP, this is written on the DLT website. Transferring with only a UK license is not possible.

Individual DLTs can of course do what they want, either because they are not aware of official rules, or because they just don't care. They did for example accept my 1968 IDP when i applied for my Thai driving license, this should not be possible. And of course you will find some people who got their home country license transferred to a Thai driving license without an IDP at all.

Just because a Thai can drive without an IDP in the UK does not mean that you can drive without an IDP in Thailand, each country has its own laws

Your earlier comment ' (according to the interpretation of the law which the police is using) ' was much better than this post.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

But your UK driving license is only valid in Thailand if it's accompanied by an original IDP (according to the interpretation of the law which the police is using). You didn't have the original IDP with you, so you did not have a driving license valid in Thailand.

Bit lost there, EU of US Licence is all you need to hire from the big boys at Swampy, after 90 days no licence is legal, for either tourist or retired/ married folk.

8 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Bit lost there, EU of US Licence is all you need to hire from the big boys at Swampy

Then maybe they interpret the law so that an IDP is not required, or they just have no idea what they do or they just don't care (you are the one facing the consequences). In case you get fined by police for driving without a license try to get the money back from the rental company ????

9 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

after 90 days

A 90 day limit does not exist in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Then maybe they interpret the law so that an IDP is not required, or they just have no idea what they do or they just don't care (you are the one facing the consequences). In case you get fined by police for driving without a license try to get the money back from the rental company ????

A 90 day limit does not exist in Thailand.

Yes it does. You need a Thai Licence after 3 months, they look at your P/Port. No doubt those border bouncers or ed visa cheats can get around it some way or other

37 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Yes it does. You need a Thai Licence after 3 months

Can you provide an official source (Thai law, ministerial order, police order or similar) which says so?

Until yet nobody who claimed a 90 day limit exists could ever provide something similar when i asked them, so most likely a 90 day limit does not exist

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Can you provide an official source (Thai law, ministerial order, police order or similar) which says so?

Until yet nobody who claimed a 90 day limit exists could ever provide something similar when i asked them, so most likely a 90 day limit does not exist

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

17 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Just read your other put down posts, seems you argue for the sake of it.Best ignored.

Judging by your attitude we can conclude:
You can't provide any evidence, for the existence of a 90 day limit, that isn't hearsay, so most likely a 90 day limit does not exist.

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Judging by your attitude we can conclude:
You can't provide any evidence, for the existence of a 90 day limit, that isn't hearsay, so most likely a 90 day limit does not exist.

You really should find a bird....????

Readers, stay safe, don't listen to this bloke.....????

• 10 months later...

Perhaps the car rental company will advise you. OP you should be ok but once your settled in the new area go get your drivers license.

IDP are in general valid one year once it RTB expires

youll have to get another one which may mean going back to your

home country.

without valid drivers license and IDP you’ll have to take the full test.

Okay I started reading through this thread and it drops down to personal attacks or baseless claims based on hearsay. I think my question is much in line with that of the original poster's, so I will post in full below. I kindly ask that any claims of what the law says be provided with a reference (in original Thai or roughly translated English).

I have a couple of questions about the law surrounding international driving permits:

Thailand is party (reference) to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (reference). Pursuant to its Article 24, section 2, the treaty states as follows regarding international driving permits:

A Contracting State may however require that any driver admitted to its territory shall carry an international driving permit conforming to the model contained in Annex 10, especially in the case of a driver coming from a country where a domestic driving permit is not required or where the domestic permit issued to him does not conform to the model contained in Annex 9.

It says "may" require, not "does" require, which means that a member state much enact a law in their jurisdiction to require it, otherwise it's optional, at least according to the treaty.

Thailand is also party (reference) to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (reference) which is intended to supersede the 1949 convention, however it was never ratified in Thailand as I understand.

Two questions:

1. Was the 1949 convention was ratified in full, or otherwise how can I find out which parts were ratified if only done so in part?
  2. What Thai law mandates the use of an international drivers license for holders of foreign drivers licenses covered by the treaty?

One last note: I have searched, extensively, on this forum and others for answers to my questions. Please help me out and point me in the right direction; don't just say it's been discussed before and to use the search feature... I haven't been able to find an answer to this yet.

4 hours ago, cmiller11101 said:

Okay I started reading through this thread and it drops down to personal attacks or baseless claims based on hearsay. I think my question is much in line with that of the original poster's, so I will post in full below. I kindly ask that any claims of what the law says be provided with a reference (in original Thai or roughly translated English).

I have a couple of questions about the law surrounding international driving permits:

Thailand is party (reference) to the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (reference). Pursuant to its Article 24, section 2, the treaty states as follows regarding international driving permits:

It says "may" require, not "does" require, which means that a member state much enact a law in their jurisdiction to require it, otherwise it's optional, at least according to the treaty.

Thailand is also party (reference) to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (reference) which is intended to supersede the 1949 convention, however it was never ratified in Thailand as I understand.

Two questions:

1. Was the 1949 convention was ratified in full, or otherwise how can I find out which parts were ratified if only done so in part?
  2. What Thai law mandates the use of an international drivers license for holders of foreign drivers licenses covered by the treaty?

One last note: I have searched, extensively, on this forum and others for answers to my questions. Please help me out and point me in the right direction; don't just say it's been discussed before and to use the search feature... I haven't been able to find an answer to this yet.

For flig sake why go on about law, the consensus is if you come to Thailand and want to drive for more than 30 days say get a Thai DL using your home DL  

For flig sake why go on about law, the consensus is if you come to Thailand and want to drive for more than 30 days say get a Thai DL using your home DL  

Well said, most disappointing bit O Paper ive ever had. Needed to get Border Guys into a Head Lock to look at it. Passport n Visa + Current Home License.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived