The Black Lagoon! Filthy Pattaya sea shown in damning aerial photography

webfact

The Black Lagoon! Filthy Pattaya sea shown in damning aerial photography

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook pulled no punches in blaming the Pattaya authorities for polluting the sea at the resort.

After being advised by tourists and locals that the sea was both black and sea color they went and took their own pictures from up high.

It revealed a massive slick of stinking black water turning the Bali Hai/Pratumnak Hill area in to a "Black Lagoon".

There was no doubt in everyone's minds that this came from a municipal pipe - the water is suppose to have been treated.

But instead filthy black sewage has found its way into the sea once again.

Sanook called on the authorities to take note.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-21
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

In the Philippines they would shut this sewer down until all resorts were charged and the area cleaned up. Look at cleanup being done at Boracay. Pattaya has been a sewer for the 30+ years I lived there and always will be.

And yet tourists still go and still frolic in the water. It really is disgraceful that this has been allowed to continue. However, as long as there are tourists and no incentive to stop dumping raw sewage, nothing will be done.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

In the Philippines they would shut this sewer down until all resorts were charged and the area cleaned up. Look at cleanup being done at Boracay. Pattaya has been a sewer for the 30+ years I lived there and always will be.

The article says that it is from a municipal pipe, not the resorts.

25 minutes ago, thaichiro said:

There should be an annual 1% water treatment tax on all properties with the proceeds placed in a “lockbox” account to be spent only for water and sewage treatment. Those found pilfering funds or providing substandard work to be thrown in the pokey for 5 years.

Perhaps more fitting to throw them into the black water? ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thaichiro said:

There should be an annual 1% water treatment tax on all properties with the proceeds placed in a “lockbox” account to be spent only for water and sewage treatment. Those found pilfering funds or providing substandard work to be thrown in the pokey for 5 years.

that just go into authorities own pockets...its not as if thailand doesn't have money

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The last time I saw anything like this was in Nigeria.

It was cause by the locals all tapping into the Oil pipelines to obtain free fuel Oil for cooking Etc.

I doubt very much that this is the same kind of thing happening here, so I will presume that the " Black Lagoon " is just purely all the crap washed out of the City after the recent rains.

Disgusting

• Sad 1

One should spread this on all foreign media channels to shame and blame Thailand's image.
Also with drones now easily available one should make daily pictures and distribute them as well.
Because how often we heard some incident like this is just an exception or occurring after heavy rain.
I think it's the norm and not only at this particular spot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The last time I saw anything like this was in Nigeria.

It was cause by the locals all tapping into the Oil pipelines to obtain free fuel Oil for cooking Etc.

I doubt very much that this is the same kind of thing happening here, so I will presume that the " Black Lagoon " is just purely all the crap washed out of the City after the recent rains.

Disgusting

I was wondering if that is an oil well patform in the OP pic.

• Haha 2

This "resort" is being ruined, day by day ... I'd be looking elsewhere meself -- I do not see any solution short of extrinsic  governance, and that ain't gonna happen

Well you don't like it you leave it, right ?....ok sorry, so I won't dare criticize !

On the other hand why give a damm ? Tourists are soaring and the new golden goose that are the Chinese or the Indians with ca$h to spend, apparently don't patronize the beaches all that much, maybe ? So why bother ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's the perfect photo if you want to find the best location where to dump all officials responsible for this mess, instead of providing 'inactive' posts.
Agree. Probably the officials should take a bath there in front of the public to prove there is clean water in the sea
  • Like 1

any waste or civil engineers on board?  What makes it black?  oils?  bacteria?  Industrial stuff?
Lack of dissolved oxygen and to high biological load.

This copied text from the Internet explains it so I don't have to write a lot more.

"The low DO conditions inducing sulfphide formation and further precipitation of this reduced sulphur compound might explaing this dark colour in your overloaded tank. The presence of hydrogen sulphide also promotes the devolpment of filamentous bacteria.. which correlated with the bad settling characteristicis of the problem."
  • Like 1